Embarrassed

Wish I was more articulate so I could explain my emotions right now. But I’m embarrassed. 

At kick off I’d have taken a 0-0 for sure as I thought we’d get smashed. 

But it on full time fans around me were punching the air and hugging. Hang on. We’re not Rotherham. We’re not Chesterfield. We’re not Doncaster. We’re not Sheffield United. 

We’re the oldest, best supported and most successful team in Sheffield and we played for a nil-nil and then celebrated when we got one. 

We didn’t try to attack and we only brought on one sub who could make a difference.

Should we accept this? Shoukd we celebrate this?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, beloved_aunt said:

Wish I was more articulate so I could explain my emotions right now. But I’m embarrassed. 

But it on full time fans around me were punching the air and hugging. Hang on. We’re not Rotherham. We’re not Chesterfield. We’re not Doncaster. We’re not Sheffield United. 

We’re the oldest, best supported and most successful team in Sheffield and we played for a nil-nil and then celebrated when we got one. 

We didn’t try to attack and we only brought on one sub who could make a difference.

It's all about context.

This Season United are in the ascendancy  while we are waiting out FFP.

In that context, we should be happy with the defensive performance a least, when we are away from home.

2 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

So, an hour before the match you saw the team we were putting out... And then you expected us to go out and play like Barca?

We went there with the intention of keeping the point we started the game with and we got it, we kept a clean sheet and not once did they turn us around, get behind us or have a golden chance (penalty side).

I'd say we had a right to be pleased with the result given what we went there to achieve.

Shows how far the bar has fallen. Ok, a draw away in a derby is a decent result, but to be fair we've been hammered in all but result, while accepting results obviously important wasn't great.

I've watched my team play 9 in defence, spending most of the game in our own 18 yard box, hardly venturing into the opposition half, never mind carrying a genuine goal threat 

• Thanks 2

What do you want ? Lost 4 on the trot, last one 4-0 at home. Away from home to 2nd in the league. The requirement was to stop the rot.  0-0 was a great result.

Apart from the penalty blunts did very little in last 3rd. Jos out thought Wilder. The players worked hard.

And Fox ought to have that one in the first few minutes.

8 minutes ago, Cheshowl said:

Just for today... shut up

8 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Give over, we are in an absolute state, kids low on confidence, and we've gone away to Real United and kept a clean sheet. Don't be deluded they are a far better side than us currently, this is a great point. 

4 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

So, an hour before the match you saw the team we were putting out... And then you expected us to go out and play like Barca?

We went there with the intention of keeping the point we started the game with and we got it, we kept a clean sheet and not once did they turn us around, get behind us or have a golden chance (penalty side).

I'd say we had a right to be pleased with the result given what we went there to achieve.

You miss my point I’ll take it. Better than I expected. But players and fans hugging each other and punching the air over a 0-0 with them? Never. 

What we for otherwise?

I was more embarrassed when we when down at home to that lot last season.

We achieved what we set out to do tonight. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't ambitious, it wasn't positive but it did get us a clean sheet and a point away from home against the second placed team in the division. The fact that it was The Blunts and they've dropped points is also welcome.

Right now, after the last few games, I'll take the result over the performance.

4 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Jos out thought Wilder. The players worked hard.

Is it really out thinking an opponent to pick 8/11 naturally defensive minded players and camping on your six years box all match. Anyone can do that and have a chance of a clean sheet. 

We’re Sheffield Wednesday!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Is it really out thinking an opponent to pick 8/11 naturally defensive minded players and camping on your six years box all match. Anyone can do that and have a chance of a clean sheet. 

We’re Sheffield Wednesday!

But we're crap at the moment so this is a positive result tonight. Don't think it's necessary to look for negatives.

Gotta agree with the OP. Whilst tonight was a battling point the fact we have battled to a plucky 0-0 draw at the pigs is hardly a reason to start getting the bunting out is it? If ever a result masked over the massive cracks we have than look no further. I just hope we can at least use this as a spring board to get some confidence into the defence and stop looking like we are going to poo ourselves every time the other side gets in to our half so we can build on our non-existent attacking play.

3 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

But we're crap at the moment so this is a positive result tonight. Don't think it's necessary to look for negatives.

Why did you get into football? Why do you support SWFC? Is it because you love watching a team string 7 defenders across the box in a low block formation?

Or is it because you admire a bit of swagger and think Wednesday should always attack?

Nope, not least bit embarrassed.

Relieved maybe.

Glad we got a point.

Glad they have to come to our place now without having beaten us.

Chuffed to see Wilder really annoyed they didn't win but pretending it was all about the performance and he wouldn't want to be in our dressing room and his players aren't on 40 grand a week and he really was very, very happy which we all know he wasn't. That was good to see.

Happy for those who went and were singing at the end. 

WAWAW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1