When the big wage players have gone

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

Yes, but sadly how does that make a difference from the last twenty years of being a Wednesday fan?

We are currently stuck in this vicious circle of ownership that is killing the club. People just need to realise that owners with loads of money is not the cure to the club's long term ailments. Money alone is not enough. Having a sustainable strategy is more important. Unfortunately in football, that type of owner is very few and far between!

absolutely 

Wolves seem to have managed the all in gamble we weren't so lucky 

As for a sustainable strategy again the way to go but will our impatient fans want to wait for what i think could be over 5 years to create I don't know their structure in detail, but from the outside Bournemouth  seem to have it right in my eyes on and off the pitch 

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Without a doubt.

When he first came to Wednesday and started splashing the cash, there’ll have been some in the game who saw him coming a mile off.

Absolutely. 

Dare I say that one of those was our former manager...

1 minute ago, steelowl said:

absolutely 

Wolves seem to have managed the all in gamble we weren't so lucky 

As for a sustainable strategy again the way to go but will our impatient fans want to wait for what i think could be over 5 years to create I don't know their structure in detail, but from the outside Bournemouth  seem to have it right in my eyes on and off the pitch 

Aye, the impatience of the modern supporter! Jack Charlton almost rebuilt the club alone, though it took him five or six years to do it. The legacy he left was followed by the Wilkinson, Atkinson and Francis era that could or would never have existed without the roots that Big Jack laid. He was a manager and not an owner but it showed what can be done with patience and a realistic approach.

We have to rebuild. The first attempt failed so we clear the decks and start again with a new strategy.

We need to get rid of the dead wood. Any player who has suffered long term injuries and can't be relied upon to play at least 30-35 games a season shouldn't have their contract renewed however good they may be. Back up players who are on big wages shouldn't be renewed.  I would expect very few contracts to be renewed this year unless it is for players like Penney.

We need money to sort out the FFP situation so if we have interest in players like Reach, FF or Bannan we should let them go for THE RIGHT PRICE. We then need to rebuild with talented younger players from the lower leagues who we can get at reasonable prices on reasonable wages. We need a manager who can spot talent and develop it. We need fans who buy into the strategy and who will be patient while we transition from the current situation. We also should be prepared to sell players for a profit if it enables us to strengthen the team.

We need an owner and a manager who can agree to follow the strategy and can implement it effectively. If that is DC  and JL then that's fine, if not then that's fine also.

That's what I think we need to do but I guess we will do something completely different.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Does anyone know the answer to this one?

When the big wage players have gone and their wages are off the wage bill, does the high ticket prices therefore mean we'll be rolling in it or will we still be losing money?

If you took on-board what Chansiri said about promotion or bust you would work out the answer,said nothing about selling all the big earners and everything would be OK.

Just now, BECKS-TO-BUD said:

If you took on-board what Chansiri said about promotion or bust you would work out the answer,said nothing about selling all the big earners and everything would be OK.

Really ? Didn't he say if we don't go up we are in big trouble   or something to that effect

1 hour ago, torres said:

Contracts running out is what the whole thread is on about not selling them!!!!

But I’d PMSL if the pigs had put Brooks on a 4 year contract and then couldn’t flog him. Maybe that’s the reason they didn’t play him much after the game against us, maybe potential buyers would see he’s not as good as they thought. Good business? Probably 

2 minutes ago, Daryl Catpiss said:

Have you got off  the chansiri 'positive interwebs' bandwagon from earlier this  year neil? Just looking at a couple of threads youve started in last 24 hours

Changes his mind more often than Hooper plays golf 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Slogboy said:

Why buy younger players in when we've got our own in our academy. Waste of time having an academy if doing that!

2 hours ago, Slogboy said:

Once the big wage players have gone we only have our youngsters, u23s and u18s!

We are going to lose a lot of senior players in the summer if we don't renew the contracts. The academy can't produce enough players to replace them. We need to bring in players from outside who have lower league experience and are ready to take the step up.

Realistically if we get 1 player per year from the academy who can hold down a first team place we will be doing very well. If we get 2 we will be doing fantastic.

If we rely on the players currently coming through the academy to replace the out of contract players we will get relegated. In an ideal world you would send players coming through out on loan for a while to gain experience at lower levels. 

1 hour ago, Slogboy said:

Agree but chansiris a tight arse. Fans are blaming Jos but chansiris pulling the strings. Fans that think different are deluded!

Tight arse? After putting £13M per year into the club?

I could argue that a lot of the money has been misspent but that's different to tight arse.

I do wonder how much of the £39M could be recovered by selling our star players. £15M for Reach? FF £10M, Bannan to Villa for £8M, that's £33M, Rhodes has some value if he keeps scoring.

Joao, is worth a few million, Winnall maybe £5M. Looked at that way DC could recoup his £39M. Maybe our transfer dealings overall haven't been quite as bad as we think.

9 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

Me too, he's obviously made some mistakes but my god he has been let down by most of his employees. None more so than some of the senior players

He's massively underestimated the importance of the manager, in top level football.

2 hours ago, Slogboy said:

Agree but chansiris a tight arse. Fans are blaming Jos but chansiris pulling the strings. Fans that think different are deluded!

I would argue quite the opposite. Chansiri hasn't been tight enough with the finances and now he has not left himself any space within P & S. Mandaric was closer to your description.

2 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Wow, as I say, not got a clue

Aye, I've not got a clue so explain to me:

How the feck have we got into such a mess with P & S and embargoed if Chansiri has been too tight? :blink:

Edited by ChinaOwl