Joey

With Hutchinson and Jones frozen out we don't have another defensive midfielder to come in and do a one for one replacement with Joey.

We have tried most combinations at the back, 3,4 or 5 at the back and we still concede loads of goals.

Maybe try a flat back 4 and try 2 defensive midfielders Hector holding the shape and Joey doing the ratting and breaking up.

Its very negative and would probably mean playing a lone striker but boy do we need that clean sheet.

58 minutes ago, roland nilson said:

Known from 1st couple of games he’s no better than we had , ineffective generally and sums Jos up, but after I’ll these years we’ll support SWFC after these people all long gone, incompetent is what I think

I think it sums up only having 500k to spend instead due to thrifty nonsense buys buy our owner personally

In the first 21 minutes me and my son didn’t see him touch the ball, maybe he did once and we missed it.

he is one of those players, like O’conner who nearly gets to the ball but doesn’t quite make it and he can’t shoot or pass.

he isn’t complete crap, but he adds little to the team.

with the master stroke of having no central midfielder on the bench we were stuck with him.

4 hours ago, Slogboy said:

Onomah deserves stick, he was lazy all game. However, Joey gets slated yet just count how many times baz gave ball away first half but hey, he's a hero.

I'd question why we change formation to 4-3-3 Second half as this I believe cost us.

Yes it's another loss but the team clearly need confidence right now not fans slagging them off!

There's a reason why Baz gave the ball away more than Joey; Baz tries to pick out the passes while Joey just make dinky little 5 yard passes.  He has no creativity and he doesn't shield the defence.  I'm not quite sure what he offers.

1 minute ago, Gresh said:

There's a reason why Baz gave the ball away more than Joey; Baz tries to pick out the passes while Joey just make dinky little 5 yard passes.  He has no creativity and he doesn't shield the defence.  I'm not quite sure what he offers.

He made more interceptions than the rest of our team combined today

He's limited, but he does more of a job shielding that defense than a lot give him credit for. Joey may not be someone you want in the starting XI in a play-off chasing team, but he's nowhere near as high up the list of "issues" we have as people make out. 

Bit harsh to single him out. Hes not great but hes not horrific like people on here make out 

If you look at how we play, it kills any midfielders game. Be that attacking or defensive midfielders. When we play 3 defenders with wingbacks its actually just a flat back 5. Penney and Palmer arent ever there to support the midfield, instead they just drop into the defence and make it a flat back 5 . How in the hell are Pelupessy and Bannan gonna stop 3 or 4 oncoming players on thier own in that situation? Someone also said it earlier in this thread and pointed out that Bannan goes running off out of position quite a lot and this leaves Pelupessy isolated too. Them things right there are half the reason why we get rinsed every week and he and the team seemingly gets overrun in the middle.

The other side of the coin is that we are playing flipping this god awful counter attacking football. Yet we dont have the players to play this way. We sit too deep all the game, hope that our 2 man midfield or our 5 man shoddy defence can pinch the ball and then try to break away. However with the lack of pace we have this is often with the speed of a smacked up sloth.

Teams in this division have a style and they sign and play the players that fit that style. The pigs are prime example, not the best players by any stretch, but they do what is asked of them in that set up. We have a pile of somewhat decent players, but due to the previous regime, not enough to actually field a team with a set style and gameplan.

We have target men and no wingers, we play wingbacks whilst not actually owning a single wingback, we try and play out from the back, yet have no defenders that cant pass ect ect.

Blaming or singling out Pelupessy today isnt really right. There were easily worse players out there today. So what if hes not the best in the league. Hes the best of what we have available to us right now. Not his fault the team is set up badly and has no tactical identity. Least hes out there trying and not hiding. My apologies for the essay. Todays pissed me off no end, but it wasnt this lads fault.

• Like 1

Been saying he was shybo since he arrived. There’s only Buttercup that was or is worse.

Anybody think Semedo would let teams stroll around us or let the Pigs do what they did last season at S6?

Jones is a technically better player with more passing ability. He can actually take free-kicks and corners rather than go over and stand n’ watch Bannan take them.

If we only want somebody to sit and break up play before giving it to someone else then Jones is far better equipped.

Hutch could bring his Wheelie Bin from home and it would be more effective than PussInBoots

8 hours ago, leono said:

He didn't even make that many of his legendary 5 yard passes today:

image.png.5f184d0d2fba295eec28b3f93a9daff2.png

Jesus wept! 16 passes all game from your defensive midfielder. If you have a good player in that position, he will have more touches than any other player. 

I thought Fletcher battled hard yesterday and put a shift in but the rest were poor so don’t want to single Joey out too much. However, I won’t change my mind that he is not championship level and he’s a league 1 player. If Hutch is fit, he should be playing. 

12 minutes ago, 33 said:

Been saying he was shybo since he arrived. There’s only Buttercup that was or is worse.

Anybody think Semedo would let teams stroll around us or let the Pigs do what they did last season at S6?

Jones is a technically better player with more passing ability. He can actually take free-kicks and corners rather than go over and stand n’ watch Bannan take them.

If we only want somebody to sit and break up play before giving it to someone else then Jones is far better equipped.

Hutch could bring his Wheelie Bin from home and it would be more effective than PussInBoots

I always rated Jones yet he got berated mercilessly on here when he played.

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

He’s not better than Sam Hutchinson.... who coincidentally is currently fit and available for selection.

We’ll be told next week that Sam hasn’t trained for 2 weeks and is unavailable.

I can almost guarantee it.

12 hours ago, NYowl said:

Jones is poor but he reads the game better than Pelupessy. Pelupessy is just a tackler who chases after the ball. Part of the reason the defence is left exposed.

A good defensive midfield player doesn't need to be flying in to tackles, they read the game and anticipate.

Joey is what he is at 500k about the right price.

Been saying this for months and months now - the above sums him up perfectly. ^^^