So Jos has now nailed his colours to the mast.

I think this leaving players out because they are not in the long term plan is ridiculous.  All teams play players who have contracts that expire at the end of the season. Hazard might leave Chelsea at the end of the season but they aren't going to leave him out.

The whole idea of a long term plan is flawed when most players have contracts that don’t last more than two seasons.

3 hours ago, Philb125 said:

So who would you pick? A player you’ve not seen play football in over a year? 

I lack your faith, let’s see who Westwood goes to next and how he fairs. I’m predicting he’s the GK equivalent of Lewis Mcgugan. 

I lack your faith in Dawson, who’d struggle to catch a cold never mind a cross. 

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Jones and Boyd are crap and no better than players already playing, Abdi if not injured now would be after 20 mins, Hutchinson and Westwood maybe! But both were pulling no trees up last season, infact Westwood was poor though probably carrying an injury and shouldn't have been playing. 

Our big problem is making all changes to back 4/5 every game, in our successful recent couple of seasons it's mostly been same central defenders, Lees and Loovens, if one dropped out then it was Sasso who came in.

Wasn’t suggesting Boyd and Jones should play.

But they’d be useful off the bench, especially when jos is putting some kids on there that I don’t think he’d actually put on.

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Do people really want to get a new manager in just so they'll pick the old guard till the end of the season even though they then have to let them go anyway in the summer and put all the kids in for next season?

Wouldn't that just set back 6 months what we're trying to do?

We've unfortunately now entered that period all too familiar to countless football managers in the past in this modern era of self-obsessed hysteria. So many individuals have made their decision that it's time for another change and that is just about the end of it. Almost nothing will reverse this now. Even if we went on an unlikely run of victories, it would only be a temporary pause. Whilst things aren't going well, you can almost sense the panic from the mob: QUICK ! DO IT NOW ! I NEED MY FIX ! They are literally terrified that Luhukay gets through this period and their moment might be lost.

Every negative will be magnified beyond reason. Whatever Luhukay isn't doing, that is why he's failing (even if two weeks ago the exact opposite was being suggested by many). All his comments will be willfully manipulated to suit this purpose. Any extenuating circumstances will be ignored or rejected. Games that we haven't played yet have already been lost. Sometimes, these opinions will drift dangerously close to the line of fantasy or dishonesty.

Why the hell does Connor Kirby keep getting mentioned in the context of being preferred to more established options? The bloke has played in one league game for about 10 bloody minutes. What have David Jones, George Boyd and Almen Abdi done to suddenly become dependable and exceptional, especially when they have been routinely slaughtered here in the recent past? Why are some so confident about how good Keiren Westwood is these days (no arguing about his excellent first couple of season with us) when we haven't seen him in more than a year and he wasn't playing well then? The fact that a mere fortnight ago we were in the play-off positions and just six points behind the leaders with our mediocre squad is abruptly irrelevant because that doesn't fit the narrative of incompetence, cowardice, indecision and lies. 

4 hours ago, camffiti said:

Managers say a lot of things ... Occasionally true 

This is the best sentence in this entire thread. But it is almost lost in this depressing blizzard of selective, self-righteous bleating. Probably a minimum of 80% of football interviews are nothing but platitudes and cliches. I suspect most people are perfectly well aware of this, but it appears they see this one as an opportunity to twist the knife so they'll interpret it accordingly. Oh well...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Absolutely

Had enough of this ‘hands tied behind his back’ stuff now 

He’s labelled 3 ongoing injuries at the club, that’s what you’ll get at most clubs 

So the 3 is hooper, Winnall, FF? What about Matias? That would be 4, 5 if you include Lee 

Agree-he has backed himself into a corner by disclosing details which don’t add up. On borrowed time IMO and deserves the dreaded vote of confidence. Not that our club is run like that

Charisma is a key ingredient in a football manager, especially in the modern era. In my lifetime the best have been Atkinson, Big Jack and Carlos. Sgt Wilko was the odd one out, but he was way ahead of his time. 

Jos is a nice chap. But he isn’t a Sheffield Wednesday manager. 

Tbf if Jos would show some sort of consistency with his selections, formations, playing styles and so on, then the clamour for the old guard to return wouldn't be so great. 

The constant tinkering (meddling) with the team is causing more harm than good imo and is not helping this group of players become a team. 

How can he honestly expect consistent performances/results when he's constantly changing the backline, changing formation two or three times during matches and then recalling randomers like Fox into the starting line up? 

His intentions might be admirable (bring through the youth), but at some point (we are 15 games in now) he has got to settle upon a team, formation, tactics etc. 

I'm still at a loss as to what sort of team we are meant to be. It's ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf if Jos would show some sort of consistency with his selections, formations, playing styles and so on, then the clamour for the old guard to return wouldn't be so great. 

The constant tinkering (meddling) with the team is causing more harm than good imo and is not helping this group of players become a team. 

How can he honestly expect consistent performances/results when he's constantly changing the backline, changing formation two or three times during matches and then recalling randomers like Fox into the starting line up? 

His intentions might be admirable (bring through the youth), but at some point (we are 15 games in now) he has got to settle upon a team, formation, tactics etc. 

I'm still at a loss as to what sort of team we are meant to be. It's ridiculous. 

He's trying hard to get a clean sheet without calling on Westwood and Hutchinson. Hence constant shuffling.

1 minute ago, victorturner said:

He's trying hard to get a clean sheet without calling on Westwood and Hutchinson. Hence constant shuffling.

Tbf Hutchinson played in three games at the start of the season and we looked crap defensively. 

My point stands, that if you want to develop consistency, clean sheets etc, then you have to eventually settle upon a side of some description. 

You can't just keep changing it from game to game. 

2 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Completely agree it's not the lack of clean sheets that bothers me it's the lack of trying to attack teams an win football matches that does my head in. Don't normally pay much attention to the other side of Sheffield but would like to know how many clean sheets they've kept would be surprised if it's more than 3. Concentrate on scoring more than the opposition not how many times your centre backs pass it . 

On the other hand, as we do not have a creative, forward looking midfield player with some ingenuity, to feed the strikers and we have got strikers without great scoring records, it may be that a clean sheet is exactly what we need.

Just now, SiJ said:

Tbf Hutchinson played in three games at the start of the season and we looked crap defensively. 

My point stands, that if you want to develop consistency, clean sheets etc, then you have to eventually settle upon a side of some description. 

You can't just keep changing it from game to game. 

Agree. But difficult if the defenders are not always fit eg Pudil nor convince that they are the top of their game,  eg Lees and anybody who plays at full back/wingback

Just now, victorturner said:

Agree. But difficult if the defenders are not always fit eg Pudil nor convince that they are the top of their game,  eg Lees and anybody who plays at full back/wingback

Perhaps not, but the constant meddling with the systems can't help either. 

Against Leeds, we switched system about 6 times (the commentators kept mentioning it). We also have no set style of play. 

One minute we are very poorly trying to pass the ball around the back and then half an hour later its aimless hoofs to some poor sod up top by himself. 

3 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Well at least it silences those who claimed that players had refused to play, or were being left out for financial reasons.

There has been a fallout with Westwood, however, and you can maybe understand now why.

With that admission, Jos has signed his own death warrant should we be thrashed at the Lane.

Death Warrant ? Big girls drama Queen Blouse  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Anybody who saw our games at Forest, QPR and Birmingham know the biggest issue by far is our tactics. Yet the manager keeps playing the same way.

Continually passing it around the defence and central midfield in our own third of the pitch is killing us.

Playing so deep means teams can press us at will until we give it away.

Our forwards are feeding on scraps.

The most telling performance was Villa . They weren’t a pressing team,  therefore our midfield wasn’t overwhelmed and we managed to play further forward so created some chances.

Well it's God help us at the Lane - or should I say de Laan - because few press more than United.

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

We've unfortunately now entered that period all too familiar to countless football managers in the past in this modern era of self-obsessed hysteria. So many individuals have made their decision that it's time for another change and that is just about the end of it. Almost nothing will reverse this now. Even if we went on an unlikely run of victories, it would only be a temporary pause. Whilst things aren't going well, you can almost sense the panic from the mob: QUICK ! DO IT NOW ! I NEED MY FIX ! They are literally terrified that Luhukay gets through this period and their moment might be lost.

Every negative will be magnified beyond reason. Whatever Luhukay isn't doing, that is why he's failing (even if two weeks ago the exact opposite was being suggested by many). All his comments will be willfully manipulated to suit this purpose. Any extenuating circumstances will be ignored or rejected. Games that we haven't played yet have already been lost. Sometimes, these opinions will drift dangerously close to the line of fantasy or dishonesty.

Why the hell does Connor Kirby keep getting mentioned in the context of being preferred to more established options? The bloke has played in one league game for about 10 bloody minutes. What have David Jones, George Boyd and Almen Abdi done to suddenly become dependable and exceptional, especially when they have been routinely slaughtered here in the recent past? Why are some so confident about how good Keiren Westwood is these days (no arguing about his excellent first couple of season with us) when we haven't seen him in more than a year and he wasn't playing well then? The fact that a mere fortnight ago we were in the play-off positions and just six points behind the leaders with our mediocre squad is abruptly irrelevant because that doesn't fit the narrative of incompetence, cowardice, indecision and lies. 

This is the best sentence in this entire thread. But it is almost lost in this depressing blizzard of selective, self-righteous bleating. Probably a minimum of 80% of football interviews are nothing but platitudes and cliches. I suspect most people are perfectly well aware of this, but it appears they see this one as an opportunity to twist the knife so they'll interpret it accordingly. Oh well...

I disagree, surely every Wednesday fan wants Jos to succeed thus Wednesday succeed. People are just not happy watching us play in a style where it looks to all concerned that the players seem really uncomfortable playing, especially our defence and keeper. This style seems to put us under unnecessary pressure and result in us being unable to keep a clean sheet and as such making winning a game a very hard and at times attritianal to watch.

I hope we win today and play Norwich then the pigs off the park as I've no agenda against Jos i just continue to be baffled by some of his decisions and as such win or lose i will voice my concerns on here, as that's what a football forum is for whilst still supporting the team from the stands.

• Like 1

However you look at this, playing youngsters or experienced pro’s he needs to be judged purely on the results and performances no excuses.

On that basis the way he sets us up to play, with this playing out from the back inviting teams onto us is proving to be a major problem, worryingly he seems reluctant to change it even that it’s blatantly obvious our players are not comfortable or probably capable of playing that way without making silly mistakes over a 90 minute period.

We are gifting goals to the opposition, what the hell is it going to take for him to change this.

Not playing some of those players I get, they were hardly pulling any trees up, Westwood based on his time with us should be playing , Dawson although a good shot stopper does not command his box and flaps at most things in the air, he is not ready.

The rest of them are either unreliable or have had their day/ chance.

Jos needs to sort it & get a grip fast or we will be in serious trouble, particularly if we need to sell our best players in January.

A drubbing at t’lane and life will get very uncomfortable for Jos, the right result however will probably buy him much more time with the fans.

18 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Jos confirms that Westwood, Hutchinson, Jones, Abdi and Boyd not being included for footballing reasons and nothing else. No fall out, no contractual issues, nothing from the chairman.  

He also confirmed injuries now only affecting about 3 players. 

So for me, he now gets judged on these decisions, results and performances, pure and simple. No more hiding behind the rumours of 'what if Westwood/Hutchinson's had a huge fall out, spat his dummy out etc' 

And on that basis, to not select any of the above players on that bench vs Birmingham, for footballing reasons, in my opinion is a disgrace and he's on borrowed time.  

Bring on the 9th. UTO. :ph34r:

You have got to be kidding me.  

Read up on basic PR before you spit out your dummy.