So Jos has now nailed his colours to the mast.

5 minutes ago, Animis said:

I agree - i've now reconciled myself with the situation and it's not challenging for promotion. The mixed messages from the club from last January didn't help but i think we now know what this manager wants, and i assume he has DC's backing.

It's not going to be pretty this season and we may struggle to get 55 points, but if we do, and we keep strong, next season should reap some rewards with a cohesive group of retained players added to by some young/hungry/pacy etc, players and we will come back stronger.

It’s frustrating that we feel we might have to write this season off in terms of recent progress at the very least, maybe even next depending on the losses. But it’s still early days.

I think a combo of our recent playoff form has raised expectations but otherwise I think our flirting with the top six and being mid table would be more acceptable if the Blades weren’t continually punching above their weight with what is a fairly average squad on paper.

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It’s frustrating that we feel we might have to write this season off in terms of recent progress at the very least, maybe even next depending on the losses. But it’s still early days.

I think a combo of our recent playoff form has raised expectations but otherwise I think our flirting with the top six and being mid table would be more acceptable if the Blades weren’t continually punching above their weight with what is a fairly average squad on paper.

true - the pigs situation is compounding the emotions for many, including me. If they implode, as we know they might - our situation might not look that bad afterall.

7 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Jos confirms that Westwood, Hutchinson, Jones, Abdi and Boyd not being included for footballing reasons and nothing else. No fall out, no contractual issues, nothing from the chairman.  

He also confirmed injuries now only affecting about 3 players. 

So for me, he now gets judged on these decisions, results and performances, pure and simple. No more hiding behind the rumours of 'what if Westwood/Hutchinson's had a huge fall out, spat his dummy out etc' 

And on that basis, to not select any of the above players on that bench vs Birmingham, for footballing reasons, in my opinion is a disgrace and he's on borrowed time.  

Bring on the 9th. UTO. :ph34r:

If he honestly believes this the man is deluded and is certainly not the man for the job of moving us forward.

You live and die by your decisions in life, sadly I cant see this having a happy outcome for us.

PS I still think he is being sparing with the truth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

I can understand, but don't agree with, people's furore over Westwood not playing. The last time we saw Westwood (which was flippingyonks ago, and well before Luhukay was here) he was deemed one of the best keepers in the division (although clearly deteriorating). But, I recognise than when a player isn't playing, they often get better (in fans eyes), and while ever we continue to concede goals at a rate of knots (despite Dawson not the culprit for that), a call to change the rookie keeper for an experienced keeper will be there. 

Fair enough. But I will say...Kieran Westwood is 34 years old, and hasn't played a competitive game of football for 14 months. What gives fans the confidence (and audacity) to claim that this injury prone, ageing keeper with no recent football will actually improve things? Serious question? Because, I just don't see it. 

Anyway...the rest...Hutchinson seems to have become a world beater over the past few days...quite conveniently after a few losses and a rumoured public outburst. Is this the same Hutchinson whose been a liability for us since the moment he signed? Whether it be injury or discipline? The same Sam Hutchinson who has played three games this season, and two of those games were our amongst the worst of the campaign? He was absolutely woeful at Wigan, and at fault for the goal in a terrible first half display at Brentford.

It's honestly no wonder Luhukay doesn't play him. He's another who simply hasn't been fit enough or good enough. Surely it's these type of players the club needs to get rid of. 

And as for Boyd, Abdi and Jones...don't get me started. This forum has been nothing but scandelously critical of these three players. Boyd has looked liked he's towing a caravan since the moment he signed, and put in the most inept display of the season in the cup game at Sunderland. Abdi is, without been too harsh, a complete waste of space. Both Boyd and Abdi are paid an absolute fortune, and simply haven't been fit enough nor good enough. 

Jones, I actually feel could play a role in this team, but this forum, in the past, have given him nothing but dog's abuse. Why all of a sudden is he the saviour?

But these five players all have a common trend...they are paid a fortune, and haven't either been reliable enough, fit enough or good enough (all a combination of the three). Instead of aiming all your anger at a manager having to manage the situation, perhaps consider what these players would actually contribute. And if recent history is to go by...the answer is not a lot. 

Absolutely spot on. Particularly the points about Boyd, Jones and And I who have been absolutely written off on here but now have Paul Heffernan syndrome.

If we had had the exact same results and performancea but the last 3 games had been dotted within the unbeaten run then there wouldn't be as much uproar. That coupled with the fact we are playing them lot next week who look considerably better than us has set the mood. 

An improved performance and result is much needed tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Well he's come out and said it's definitely nothing to do with contracts. Definitely nothing to do with the Chairman telling who he can pick and that is about wanting players who are available to train every session and be available for every match.

We might not agree.

But I don't think he can be much clearer on it. 

He wants young, fit,  healthy players who are physically and mentally available to train every week and play every week. 

Agreed. 

Weve asked for clarity, and got it.

As it's paramount we stay up, is there a plan B.

Should we lose any of the senior players to injury, or one of the keepers, will he recall any of the afore mentioned.

If this is s full and final settlement for the likes of Jones and Abdi, hopefully they'll ship out.

7 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Jos confirms that Westwood, Hutchinson, Jones, Abdi and Boyd not being included for footballing reasons and nothing else. No fall out, no contractual issues, nothing from the chairman.  

He also confirmed injuries now only affecting about 3 players. 

So for me, he now gets judged on these decisions, results and performances, pure and simple. No more hiding behind the rumours of 'what if Westwood/Hutchinson's had a huge fall out, spat his dummy out etc' 

And on that basis, to not select any of the above players on that bench vs Birmingham, for footballing reasons, in my opinion is a disgrace and he's on borrowed time.  

Bring on the 9th. UTO. :ph34r:

Jones and Boyd are crap and no better than players already playing, Abdi if not injured now would be after 20 mins, Hutchinson and Westwood maybe! But both were pulling no trees up last season, infact Westwood was poor though probably carrying an injury and shouldn't have been playing. 

Our big problem is making all changes to back 4/5 every game, in our successful recent couple of seasons it's mostly been same central defenders, Lees and Loovens, if one dropped out then it was Sasso who came in.

I’m sick of hearing about the defence. Looking at the personnel, I don’t expect too many clean sheets. I’m actually more alarmed that a midfield of Bannan, Pelupessy, Onomah and Reach, hardly create any chances. In that respect, the manager couldn’t really wish for better in that department, but he seems unable to get them playing

Well at least it silences those who claimed that players had refused to play, or were being left out for financial reasons.

There has been a fallout with Westwood, however, and you can maybe understand now why.

With that admission, Jos has signed his own death warrant should we be thrashed at the Lane.

16 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

Absolutely spot on. Particularly the points about Boyd, Jones and And I who have been absolutely written off on here but now have Paul Heffernan syndrome.

If we had had the exact same results and performancea but the last 3 games had been dotted within the unbeaten run then there wouldn't be as much uproar. That coupled with the fact we are playing them lot next week who look considerably better than us has set the mood. 

An improved performance and result is much needed tomorrow.

Funny you should mention him.

I was thinking about the whole Heffernan scenario when writing the post. 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m sick of hearing about the defence. Looking at the personnel, I don’t expect too many clean sheets. I’m actually more alarmed that a midfield of Bannan, Pelupessy, Onomah and Reach, hardly create any chances. In that respect, the manager couldn’t really wish for better in that department, but he seems unable to get them playing

Completely agree it's not the lack of clean sheets that bothers me it's the lack of trying to attack teams an win football matches that does my head in. Don't normally pay much attention to the other side of Sheffield but would like to know how many clean sheets they've kept would be surprised if it's more than 3. Concentrate on scoring more than the opposition not how many times your centre backs pass it . 

2 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

Completely agree it's not the lack of clean sheets that bothers me it's the lack of trying to attack teams an win football matches that does my head in. Don't normally pay much attention to the other side of Sheffield but would like to know how many clean sheets they've kept would be surprised if it's more than 3. Concentrate on scoring more than the opposition not how many times your centre backs pass it . 

and with the defence not under constant pressure, we might actually keep some clean sheets, but yes, FFS, get on the front foot

43 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Anybody who saw our games at Forest, QPR and Birmingham know the biggest issue by far is our tactics. Yet the manager keeps playing the same way.

Continually passing it around the defence and central midfield in our own third of the pitch is killing us.

Playing so deep means teams can press us at will until we give it away.

Our forwards are feeding on scraps.

The most telling performance was Villa . They weren’t a pressing team,  therefore our midfield wasn’t overwhelmed and we managed to play further forward so created some chances.

Edited by oldishowl

8 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

They aren't a part of his long term plans.

Fair play. 

That's what people always overlook. We need to look a season or two ahead, rather than just to the next game. As has been pointed out, a lot of those players are injury prone and / or inconsistent. Might as well move on from them.

We used to complain that Carlos would always pick certain players. Now the issue seems to be that Jos won't pick certain players. Maybe we should make up our minds what we want?

8 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Absolutely

Had enough of this ‘hands tied behind his back’ stuff now 

He’s labelled 3 ongoing injuries at the club, that’s what you’ll get at most clubs 

So the 3 is hooper, Winnall, FF? What about Matias? That would be 4, 5 if you include Lee 

Exactly. I can only assume that Jos didn’t pay attention in Maths at school.