So Jos has now nailed his colours to the mast.

10 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So who would you pick? A player you’ve not seen play football in over a year? 

I lack your faith, let’s see who Westwood goes to next and how he fairs. I’m predicting he’s the GK equivalent of Lewis Mcgugan. 

How long do we persist with a keeper that hasn’t kept a clean sheet in 15 or so games? A keeper that imo doesn’t give an already fragile defence any confidence? Do we have anything to lose by giving Westwood or Wildsmith a run out, defensively can things be much worse than they are now!?! Do we try and sign a new keeper in January? 

Edited by WalthamOwl

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

How long do we persist with a keeper that hasn’t kept a clean sheet in 15 or so games? A keeper that imo doesn’t give an already fragile defence any confidence? Do we try and sign a new keeper in January? 

I’d change the defence before I changed the keeper. Also I’d consider a more combative/hardworking midfield. 

The future is Dawson/Wildsmith so that’s who is in goals. 

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Answer 2:4 

Westweod wasn’t the player last season that we fondly remember, this season he’s probably worse still. 

We need to face he was the past and every day that passes he gets worse while those replacing him get better. 

Have you seen Dawson flapping about in goal?? He's getting worse because his confidence is shot. That's not good management. It's stupidity. 

Jos is laying the groundwork for next season. He'll know all about the young players, andso know where he needs to strengthen. 

I wonder if his comment about back-ups means the frozen-outs would be asked to help save us from relegation if that's where the season

headed? I think he's here for the long haul.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trumbullowl said:

Jos is laying the groundwork for next season. He'll know all about the young players, andso know where he needs to strengthen. 

I wonder if his comment about back-ups means the frozen-outs would be asked to help save us from relegation if that's where the season

Good and good for him i say. We need a long term plan and he takes no crap. Sounds perfect. People wanted clarity and they got it. Its his way or dont bother. I applaud the man.

32 minutes ago, terryowl said:

Yes and they have shown that they are currently not good enough.

look at the results and performances.

Good enough for what? Were currently in the same position we finished in last year and the average age of the first eleven has dipped considerably. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trumbullowl said:

All very laudable intentions but first and foremost we need to not be dragged into a relegation battle .

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

He is not putting the club ahead of himself if he gets us relegated .

Nor by asking the club to keep paying wages with no possibility of getting any value from them 

True. But I think, bar the last three games we haven’t looked like relegation fodder. He’s trying to work out who from the academy can step up and using the season as a bit of an experiment which could serve us well longer term as most of those frozen out bar Westwood and Hutchinson are a waste of time and freezing them out makes them more likely to move in Jan. But it’s slightly at odds with the...we must get promoted line where Hutchinson and Westwood are concerned. 

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

I can understand, but don't agree with, people's furore over Westwood not playing. The last time we saw Westwood (which was flippingyonks ago, and well before Luhukay was here) he was deemed one of the best keepers in the division (although clearly deteriorating). But, I recognise than when a player isn't playing, they often get better (in fans eyes), and while ever we continue to concede goals at a rate of knots (despite Dawson not the culprit for that), a call to change the rookie keeper for an experienced keeper will be there. 

Fair enough. But I will say...Kieran Westwood is 34 years old, and hasn't played a competitive game of football for 14 months. What gives fans the confidence (and audacity) to claim that this injury prone, ageing keeper with no recent football will actually improve things? Serious question? Because, I just don't see it. 

Anyway...the rest...Hutchinson seems to have become a world beater over the past few days...quite conveniently after a few losses and a rumoured public outburst. Is this the same Hutchinson whose been a liability for us since the moment he signed? Whether it be injury or discipline? The same Sam Hutchinson who has played three games this season, and two of those games were our amongst the worst of the campaign? He was absolutely woeful at Wigan, and at fault for the goal in a terrible first half display at Brentford.

It's honestly no wonder Luhukay doesn't play him. He's another who simply hasn't been fit enough or good enough. Surely it's these type of players the club needs to get rid of. 

And as for Boyd, Abdi and Jones...don't get me started. This forum has been nothing but scandelously critical of these three players. Boyd has looked liked he's towing a caravan since the moment he signed, and put in the most inept display of the season in the cup game at Sunderland. Abdi is, without been too harsh, a complete waste of space. Both Boyd and Abdi are paid an absolute fortune, and simply haven't been fit enough nor good enough. 

Jones, I actually feel could play a role in this team, but this forum, in the past, have given him nothing but dog's abuse. Why all of a sudden is he the saviour?

But these five players all have a common trend...they are paid a fortune, and haven't either been reliable enough, fit enough or good enough (all a combination of the three). Instead of aiming all your anger at a manager having to manage the situation, perhaps consider what these players would actually contribute. And if recent history is to go by...the answer is not a lot. 

Excellent post spot on with all you say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Palmer, Hector, Pudil/Thornily & Fox away from home with Penney playing home games. 

Couldn’t imagine that line up keeping a clean sheet to be honest. I’m really worried about us defensively. I would start Pudil on the left ahead of Fox who I feel is no where near good enough, I like Palmers effort but I just feel his overall play doesn’t cut it. Out of what we have think I would still play Lees and Hector. Although I am a fan of young Thorniley. 

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

True. But I think, bar the last three games we haven’t looked like relegation fodder. He’s trying to work out who from the academy can step up and using the season as a bit of an experiment which could serve us well longer term as most of those frozen out bar Westwood and Hutchinson are a waste of time and freezing them out makes them more likely to move in Jan. But it’s slightly at odds with the...we must get promoted line where Hutchinson and Westwood are concerned. 

I agree - i've now reconciled myself with the situation and it's not challenging for promotion. The mixed messages from the club from last January didn't help but i think we now know what this manager wants, and i assume he has DC's backing.

It's not going to be pretty this season and we may struggle to get 55 points, but if we do, and we keep strong, next season should reap some rewards with a cohesive group of retained players added to by some young/hungry/pacy etc, players and we will come back stronger.

I can take mid table.

I can take building for the future.

I can take the frustration of letting leads go.

I can almost take the random team selections from match to match.

what I can’t take is fans being expected to pay top dolllar for the privilege, and what I really, really, won’t take is us getting tonked by them next week.

• Like 1