Gary Hooper has had surgery

15 hours ago, handworth52 said:

whats another 10 weeks to add to the last 44 weeks he has been out.  he is done here and done in football , he is on 29k a week there wont be a club out there what would pay any footballer 5k a week who almost is never fit ,he was out 6-8weeks on 2-3 other occasions while been here too , and at other clubs he played nowhere near  46 games in a season he is also coming upto his 31st birthday , I don't think he has a gambling problem so he will be set for life on the wages he has been getting from us. other than that he was a decent footballer but time moves on. 

Danger of signing too many "mature" players. Had a purple patch before last contract. He was only decent. Like Rhodes, when here in early months he showed nothing like we had expected. Confirming Rhodes and Hooper with longer deals was not clever. There was also that awful story about him wanting a box for friends and family as part of his benefits. His agent squeezed out every pip.

15 hours ago, outlaw pete said:

So left the field 10 months ago with what Bullen said was a calf strain and now he is in hospital recovering from a Groin operation.

You could not make it up...

He’ll end up being out as long as Luke Shaw was and he had a double leg fracture :goalie:

24 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Danger of signing too many "mature" players. Had a purple patch before last contract. He was only decent. Like Rhodes, when here in early months he showed nothing like we had expected. Confirming Rhodes and Hooper with longer deals was not clever. There was also that awful story about him wanting a box for friends and family as part of his benefits. His agent squeezed out every pip.

Mature? He was 28 when he signed for us.

Gary Hooper is a top class attacker at this level, absolutely no doubt about it. Sadly, injuries are part and parcel of football, and it's been a big blow for the club and for the player personally.

Having a player initially on loan allows us to see how they perform at a potential new club. GH came for two/three months loan at the end of 2015 and never shone but was signed up on a fat contract . With Rhodes, I believe the loan was in name only and the club was committed to signing him but again he did not shine.

I believe quite a few fans had a sinking feeling when the club committed to these two players even if the club had pursued them for years. With strikers, much depends on good service, esp for "mature' players whether they can cope without it, ,  and whether they can adjust to the expectations at Hillsborough. We fondly remember Connor Wickham.

GH did have an outstanding little period, where he put in 101%,  just before the last contract extension, a bit like Nuhui.

18 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

At least our medical insurance will be covering this - our premiums must be through the roof though!

I bet we're only covered for third party, fire and theft.

We really need someone else to either crash into him, set fire to him or nick him before we can claim.

Guest Bulgaria
8 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

The hospitality box ... that he insisted on when he signed ????!!!!!!... What a joke :tango::picnic:

I think it was a hospital box he requested.