Villa want Bannan

Far and away our best player, the heartbeat of the team and drags the rest of our squad through games at times and people saying he can go? Our midfield options without him don't bear thinking about. Can we really trust the powers that be at Hillsborough to find a suitable replacement given the track record for central midfield signings bar Bannan himself? We need to do everything we can to keep hold of him. He's a shining light in a sea of sh!t at the minute.

I'd be extremely sad to see Bannan leave.

He's been one of the few players to shine in the gloom of the last 15 months; at his best he's a rolls royce of a footballer, and even off form he always gives 100%, never leaves anything out on the field and has a genuine affiliation with club and fans. Under anything like normal circumstances, he'd be the last player we should let go.

But our perilous financial situation and stale, over paid squad, are as much a consequence of our inability to move players on at the right time, as they are of our shocking recruitment. What could we have got for Westwood a couple of years ago now he rots? Tom Lees doesn't look like a £10 million pound defender anymore does he?

If we are going to ever get out of this perpetual cycle of paying sky high prices for mediocre football, then we are going to have to sell some of our better players. If we could get north of £10 million, then with a heavy heart I'd agree it was the right decision. 

1 hour ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Bannan to villa,reach to wolves ,get £20 million in January for both ,would be good business

And the scary part is that would probably just allow us to break even on the FFP deficit. There wouldn't be much cash for replacements. 

50 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

After looking into it Villa are still sailing close to the FFP wind, the takeover doesn't actually change anything.

So if the rumour of their interest in Bannan is true it can only mean they're selling Grealish.

Sort of makes sense that, to me anyway.lol

Well they’re levelling up then, from what I’ve seen Bannan is twice the player Grealish is 

Buy low sell high. All the most successful teams in this league do it, get rid when there’s a demand, sell for top whack and reinvest in someone younger at a much lower price with potential. Bannan is in his prime and worth 10-12 million. He won’t be worth that in a season or two. Sad to see him go but holding on to players too long and flat out refusing to let people go has put us in our current mess. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

And the scary part is that would probably just allow us to break even on the FFP deficit. There wouldn't be much cash for replacements. 

Not this season. But over a three year rolling period, breaking even would make a big difference in the summer (I think) 

• Thanks 1

The reality of our financial situation is the one pretty transparent thing around the murky  waters that is our club at the moment. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't trust jos, more the fact I wouldn't trust our chairman, but if we had a big mick, Megson, allardyce, pullis type of manager in charge at the moment, who knows this league and British football inside out, I'd say if you can get £10/12 million for bannan, similar for Reach & get Nando fit and firing before Christmas, I'd let them cash in on all three, get a couple of Prem loans in and steady the ship allowing for a rebuild in the summer.... 

Problem is would you trust DC & Jos to be able to do that??? 

Edited by shezzas left peg

5 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

but if we had a big mick, Megson, allardyce, pullis type of manager in charge at the moment, who knows this league and British football inside out

I don’t think any of the managers you mention would come? Do you?

I don’t think they would put up with some of the “non performers” either.

And, that is the context that you have to gauge the current managers predicament.

At least he’s trying to make a fist of it.

He certainly doesn’t court popularity.

19 minutes ago, swfcjack27 said:

Buy low sell high. All the most successful teams in this league do it, get rid when there’s a demand, sell for top whack and reinvest in someone younger at a much lower price with potential. Bannan is in his prime and worth 10-12 million. He won’t be worth that in a season or two. Sad to see him go but holding on to players too long and flat out refusing to let people go has put us in our current mess. 

Spot on mate. 

36 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

It will at least enable us to keep Westwood, Hutch and Abdi, in exile until their contracts run out Whoopee