Milan

Went two years ago this November for the Milan derby, was unbelievable. Milan as a City wasn't the best though in my opinion and certainly not the best in Italy. It was very lovely, classy, plenty of trendy bars and restaurants (we stayed in the navigli area). We were only there 2-3 days so didn't get much cultural stuff done. It's definitely not the cheapest either. 

My favourite place in Italy is Palermo in Sicily. Ryanair there for £70 return flights this June. Was stunning, very few tourists and felt like 'proper Italy'. Really surprisingly cheap as well with some banging Airbnb options that don't break the bank at all. You could even have an apartment with a pool just out of the city up the coast for crazily cheap especially if there's a few of you. Also we visited and stayed in Catania and went up the active volcano Mount Etna. Maybe all of that bumps up the expenses a little bit but I found Sicily to be surprisingly cheap, lacking in tourists and felt like 'real Italy'. My neighbour is Italian, from the Apulia region and she says Sicily is really desired and revered amongst the people where she's from.  

Also maybe you might find Rome is cheap if you get a good deal? We've got tickets for Roma V Real Madrid next month and combined with flights it came to about £90. Spend more on away days with Wednesday. 

Overall though, I'd say travel anywhere in Italy, I adore the place. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

On a budget and really want to get away to Italy soon.

Anyone been to Milan and recommend it? Seen some people say it's quite dull!

It's a long while since I was there. But I feel the some people you refer to are on the right lines. The cultural sector is highlighted by the Opera House which is their jewel in the crown. Much of the life of the outer city reminds me much of the Park area of Sheffield. I would recommend you searching out accommodation in order of preference 1) Florence 2) Siena 3) Pisa Florence in particular is good for transport where you can visit some lovely foothill villages. It goes without saying Florence is the king of culture and art; The Cathedral and Baptistry are not to be missed along with the Pontivecio Bridge. Siena and Pisa too much smaller by comparison to Florence but both are littered with Al-Fresco cafes and restaurants and both within easy reach of Viareggio a lovely little seaside town with lots of amenities. Hope this helps, good luck with your Hol hunting !     

• Thanks 1

On 28/10/2018 at 13:49, TheEnchanter said:

Went two years ago this November for the Milan derby, was unbelievable. Milan as a City wasn't the best though in my opinion and certainly not the best in Italy. It was very lovely, classy, plenty of trendy bars and restaurants (we stayed in the navigli area). We were only there 2-3 days so didn't get much cultural stuff done. It's definitely not the cheapest either. 

My favourite place in Italy is Palermo in Sicily. Ryanair there for £70 return flights this June. Was stunning, very few tourists and felt like 'proper Italy'. Really surprisingly cheap as well with some banging Airbnb options that don't break the bank at all. You could even have an apartment with a pool just out of the city up the coast for crazily cheap especially if there's a few of you. Also we visited and stayed in Catania and went up the active volcano Mount Etna. Maybe all of that bumps up the expenses a little bit but I found Sicily to be surprisingly cheap, lacking in tourists and felt like 'real Italy'. My neighbour is Italian, from the Apulia region and she says Sicily is really desired and revered amongst the people where she's from.  

Also maybe you might find Rome is cheap if you get a good deal? We've got tickets for Roma V Real Madrid next month and combined with flights it came to about £90. Spend more on away days with Wednesday. 

Overall though, I'd say travel anywhere in Italy, I adore the place. 

Yes I adore Italy too - I am planning to go to Milan next year sometime and take in a game.It's more a business city than a tourist city in my opinion so hotels tend to be pricey- its ok but imo there's better places in Italy - I prefer Turin in that part of Italy but also prefer Naples,Bologna,Rome,Florence etc.Would definitely like to stay in Palermo too sometime. Milan though still has some decent areas though - Navigli is good as is Brera but Corso Sempione is a nice spot to hang out with the Milanese as many go for the Apertivo after work where you can have a drink and also lots of snacks around the bar area.Don't overlook Bergamo either Ryanair flies to Milan Bergamo most people take the bus to Milan but Bergamo is a nice place to stay and would be cheaper to stay than Milan-  its very underrated but has the alta (upper) part of the town which is very attractive - lots of nice bars and restuarants and Atalanta play there if you want a Serie A game to watch.Hope this helps.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jamsandwich said:

What’s it like getting tickets for an AC or Inter game? 

Was planning a trip to Milan/Bologna/Florence/Pisa maybe next year. 

Think you  can get them online now but would imagine the AC/Inter derbies or either of the clubs v Juve will be difficult to get tickets - I went to an AC/Inter game a few years back and got my hotel to get me a ticket - it cost 140 Euros a lot 

of money but luckliy I got a great game - finished 4-3 to Inter.

On 31/10/2018 at 22:27, jamsandwich said:

What’s it like getting tickets for an AC or Inter game? 

Was planning a trip to Milan/Bologna/Florence/Pisa maybe next year. 

Absolute nightmare for us. Bought them on viagogo for £46 each then were told the day before we flew that the tickets weren't available. Was gutted. However on twitter we found that the AC Slovenian supporters club had 3 spare tickets they were selling for about £70 a piece so we got in touch and amazingly they sorted the PDF tickets out for us and put our names on them instead of the Slovenian lads that couldn't make it. Anyway, we flew to Milan and got an email that night from Viagogo saying tickets were available so we were stuck with 2 tickets each by then. With our names on them and no chance to change the PDF we couldn't flog them outside the ground sadly. Passport is needed with each match ticket so has to match your name. 

I'm sure like most Italian clubs you could sign up to their memberships well in advance and maybe secure a ticket directly from the club but the demand is so high for this game it makes it really tough. Obviously any other match the attendances are much lower so I'm sure it's a lot easier. 

20161120_214333.jpg

20161120_215320.jpg

Edited by TheEnchanter

6 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Cheers for the feedback guys.

Anyone been to Parma?

Yes I've been to Parma - it's a nice enough provincial town but nothing special IMO - I would prefer to stay at places like Bologna or Mantua.

On 08/02/2019 at 10:40, jamsandwich said:

ANyone know what the deal is with the Italian "Anti-Hooligan" cards. Trying to get a ticket for Inter V Roma in April and everything on Viagogo says i need one. 

Is that Tessera del Tifoso ? I'm going to see Inter v SPAL in 4 weeks time and got my tickets from the Inter website via General Sale no mention of the Anti Hooligan card- personally I would avoid Viagogo and wait until tickets for the Roma game go on sale on the official website.The only match on sale at the moment in April is Juve and that is just to members and ST holders at the moment.Inter are averaging 57K this season - the only matches that sell out are the Juve and Milan games so I don't think you will have a problem getting a ticket for the Roma game. 

Edited by kenny

On 08/02/2019 at 10:40, jamsandwich said:

ANyone know what the deal is with the Italian "Anti-Hooligan" cards. Trying to get a ticket for Inter V Roma in April and everything on Viagogo says i need one. 

Don't quote me on it but i'm pretty sure your passport doubles up as this. That's the only thing I've used when attending games at San siro and in Rome. They do check it several times on the way into the stadium and then again once in. 

Maybe drop the club an email and see if they can advise. although they aren't always particularly helpful on such matters.