Colin

Colin would be divisive but if we won a few games and moved up the table I think most of the fans would accept him as a necessary 'evil'.

Personally I think of him as a pantomime dame, he's not as bad as he makes out. A lot of the banter is just that, he likes winding the fans up. Get through the bad guy act and he's a decent human being and an excellent manager t this level.

I'm happy for Jos to stay but is he was to go Colin would be a good shout.  

I don't think Colin would do any better with this squad and without shifting the high earners/deadwood wages off the books he wouldn't be able to bring in what he would need even for modest transfer fees. It's going to take about 2 years before we can go again so there's no point in making a Warnock type appointment just yet.

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

Mandy wanted him, a section of our fan base didn't.

In retrospect, should we have taken him?

No.

He would have divided our fanbase. If you think the recent meltdown was bad, just think how it would have been if Colin had presided over a run of bad form.

And we got Stuart Gray, who did a pretty decent job all things considered. So the real question for me is - in retrospect, ahould we have kept hold of him instead of replacing him with Carlos......

warnocks not half as bad as people make out..just plays up to the cameras ..footballs missing personalities like Warnock ..

deep down he likes Wednesday and he'd take satisfaction p1$$1ng off mcsue and their fans getting us promoted.

if/when he gets the sack ,we could do alot worse than get him in.

stuff fans pride got us no where

58 minutes ago, Blatter said:

A big no from me.

His previous comments about our club would render him unacceptable to a large section of our fans.

Correct, his behaviour is totally unprofessional!

19 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

No.

He would have divided our fanbase. If you think the recent meltdown was bad, just think how it would have been if Colin had presided over a run of bad form.

And we got Stuart Gray, who did a pretty decent job all things considered. So the real question for me is - in retrospect, ahould we have kept hold of him instead of replacing him with Carlos......

I like Gray and was sorry to see him go. It's ancient history now, we will never know how well he would have done, anyway he would have been past his sell by date and we would probably have got rid of him by now. Best thing is to look to the future rather than dwell on the past.

Edited by prowl

Colin wanted the job, but Mandy was concerned about attendances.

So they agreed that it was a non-starter.

No way would attendances go down . They'd go up because loads would want to tell him how much of a piggy bar stool he was , and when we were picking up points left right and centre they'd carry on coming . 

I remember hearing Colin talking about the job offer on the radio.

It was the reaction of a section of our fan base which scared Mandy off.

I remember one Owls fan ringing up Football Heaven and saying that the sight of Colin made him feel physically sick.

He has that effect on most people, but it's not a beauty contest. lol

it is this 'narrow minded, one eyed' approach that means we take to the field 'handicapped' by the fact that 'some' of our support totally reject the best man, and most effective AT the job, whilst others reject anyone who tries his type/style of football and want tiptap.

this club will not move on whilst it tries to cater for everyone. the first thing needed is a manager with some balex (this may take some swallowing at the top [pardon the pun]), and accept that a driving, hard, committed game is what we need.

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Mandy wanted him, a section of our fan base didn't.

In retrospect, should we have taken him?

No way. I can’t stand the bloke. He gets results at this level but the football he plays is shocking.  I wouldn’t want him anyway near our club, there’s better out there.

Guest The Horse

There's no doubting his record.
But if he came, the pressure would be on to deliver from his first game in charge.
Can you imagine the atmosphere if we limped about for a few games like now with Warnock in charge?
It would be bedlam.

57 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Not everything regarding swfc revolves around getting to the premiership. I think you would be rather surprised at the amount of fans who ain't that bothered.

Why would I be surprised but you wouldn't?

Were there really fans at Wembley wanting us to lose ?

21 minutes ago, Growl67 said:

No way. I can’t stand the bloke. He gets results at this level but the football he plays is shocking.  I wouldn’t want him anyway near our club, there’s better out there.

What kind of football have we played for the last 22 years ?

Who is better?

Good comments.

In strictly footballing terms there's no doubt in my mind that we dropped one.

Maybe he was our Wilder, and we sent him packing.

At the time I felt that we could use his animosity towards McCabe to our advantage.

However, I think that what these comments show is that in spite of all that's happened, the dreadful mess we're in, and the success he's subsequently had, some fans still would not accept him here.

There's a very good chance that after Friday week our fan base will be bitterly divided.

But if you're starting out that way with a manager from day one then it's a non-starter.

25 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Good comments.

In strictly footballing terms there's no doubt in my mind that we dropped one.

Maybe he was our Wilder, and we sent him packing.

At the time I felt that we could use his animosity towards McCabe to our advantage.

However, I think that what these comments show is that in spite of all that's happened, the dreadful mess we're in, and the success he's subsequently had, some fans still would not accept him here.

There's a very good chance that after Friday week our fan base will be bitterly divided.

But if you're starting out that way with a manager from day one then it's a non-starter.

100%.

He'd have loved shoving it in McCabe's nose had he taken us up. Warnock would have been both loved and hated in equal measure at both Sheffield clubs, something he'd have loved too.

Yet some mindless idiots lost us that chance of having the best 2nd division manager this country has seen for the last 30 years!

Colin would jump at the chance to come here.

I'm not convinced he's a Blade anyway its all about him. Has for dividing the fan base he did that at Utd despite him supposedly being a Blade.

He is also guaranteed to say we are the best fans in the country  which would of course cause a MASSIVE meltdown in S2.

Just one problem he is at a Premiership Club.

4 minutes ago, Marpals said:

Colin would jump at the chance to come here.

I'm not convinced he's a Blade anyway its all about him. Has for dividing the fan base he did that at Utd despite him supposedly being a Blade.

He is also guaranteed to say we are the best fans in the country  which would of course cause a MASSIVE meltdown in S2.

Just one problem he is at a Premiership Club.

He was talking about back in 2013 when we had the chance to hire one of the country's top gaffers yet some idiots put end to it.