The money we've spent!

4 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

We spent a reasonable amount of money in year 1and 2 around £30m 

Over 3 and a Half seasons we have spent a very small amount around a quarter of it playing down the road in Norwich 

Its a fallacy that we have spent big 

Including wages?

Guest wilyfox
On 28 October 2018 at 09:23, robowl4life said:

All that money spent and had a bench full of youngsters. 

Most of it it seems to have been spunked on crocs.

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Including wages?

No we apparently pay decent wages but im guessing we arent in the top 5or 6 for that 

Newcastle spent £112m getting up Villa have spent more each window than we have in total ( i think i haven't checked so dont quote me ) 

We have spent big for US not for the division 

17 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

No we apparently pay decent wages but im guessing we arent in the top 5or 6 for that 

Newcastle spent £112m getting up Villa have spent more each window than we have in total ( i think i haven't checked so dont quote me ) 

We have spent big for US not for the division 

Our wages to income ratio is 126%. Villa's 84%.

Highest ratio anywhere.

We have the worst defence in Championship.

Van Aken's left ear cost more than whole of Rovrum's back 5.

Edited by fred mciver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/10/2018 at 09:23, robowl4life said:

All that money spent and had a bench full of youngsters. 

Most of it it seems to have been spunked on crocs.

Yep. And that comes from the top. No strategy or plan. No hand on the rudder. Just mindless panic buys.

5 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Highest ratio anywhere.

Very deceptive those damned percentages and dont get me started on ratios 

I remember back in the 80s when the beeb did the don't die of ignorance campaign about HIV the stat they used was that infections in the gay community had risen by 10 percent but in the heterosexual community it had risen by 100% 

The actual figures at that time were around 1000 to 1100 reported cases in the gay community a rise of 10% and something like 3 to 6 cases of Heterosexual transmission an increase of 100% ( disclaimer* not making comment on HIV or being Gay or straight or anything you want to be cos i couldn't give a tinkers  just using a stat that was used to show how misleading percentages can be and how they can twist an argument ) 

On 29/10/2018 at 11:40, supersiggi said:

I remember having a similar conversation at the time. Slightly different angle though - ours was more "what are we going to do with all these players that aren't good enough for the Prem when we get promoted?"

Seems a long while ago now.

That was the one I was saying bud, they'd all been deemed by "lower tier" Premier clubs as been past it and not capeble anymore, yet instead of holding a solid stance and offering 1 or 2 year deals so as not to be burdened with them if we did go up, as they would be surplus to our requirements then, we gave them 3/4 year deals and when the inevitable happened we got lumbered with old slow injury prone crocks, who are probably about league 1 standard now, or would be if they could get fit. 

On 28/10/2018 at 11:04, adelphi1867 said:

Most of it spent in the 1st year of Mr Chansiri's reign.

I believe he has learnt from those early mistakes and wont make them again.

"18 to 24 years old" when asked about future signings.

You see it's moronic rules like this that suggest that DC has learned nothing.

One minute it's 'buy loads of unknown foreigners who will hopefully prove to be bargains', then it's 'we're only buying tried and tested upper end Championship players' and now 'no signings over 24'.

Just evaluate each potential signing based on whether they improve the playing squad FFS.  It's not rocket science.

Chansiri would have turned down Chris Waddle for being the wrong side of 30.

Just imagine if we'd have not spent the transfer money and wages on Abdi, Jones, Fletcher, Boyd, Rhodes, Emmanuelson, JVA, Matias and have bought up and coming , pacey, physical League One/ German League/ Prem loans.

30-40m wasted on tosh. 

Our policy has been nothing short of disastrous.

Over the hill, slow, white, low energy hasbeens. 

We should change 'we're on our way' to

'ped est rian'

'ped est rian'

'Slow and boring'

'ped est rian'

'How did we get here'

'I don't know'

Etc

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

You see it's moronic rules like this that suggest that DC has learned nothing.

One minute it's 'buy loads of unknown foreigners who will hopefully prove to be bargains', then it's 'we're only buying tried and tested upper end Championship players' and now 'no signings over 24'.

Just evaluate each potential signing based on whether they improve the playing squad FFS.  It's not rocket science.

Chansiri would have turned down Chris Waddle for being the wrong side of 30.

Or it could be that players aged between 18-24 can be improved and thus increase any resale value, where as BUYING players 30 and over is potentially dead money.How much are Westwood, Jones, Abdi, Boyd and  Pudil worth? While we bought Reach for £5m and now is worth double that.

On 29/10/2018 at 18:09, Lawrie Madden said:

We spent a reasonable amount of money in year 1and 2 around £30m 

Over 3 and a Half seasons we have spent a very small amount around a quarter of it playing down the road in Norwich 

Its a fallacy that we have spent big 

Maybe not on fees

But the wage bill is a crippler.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

You really think your 300 quid season ticket covers anything?

£300!! I wish!!!

Chansiri said several times that ticket prices are high to help pay for the spending spree we had a couple of years ago.

Fans showed faith in him buying season ticket in record numbers, replica shirts in record numbers.

I myself dipped into my life savings (which included a small amount money I inherited when my Dad passed away) to purchase a 3 year season ticket.

I am sure many people have similar stories.

I agree that Chansiri has put in millions and millions as well hoping for a big windfall if we went up. If he has lost millions I have zero sympathy for him, he should only get involved in businesses he knows something about.

Arguing over whether we have spent big or not feels like splitting hairs.

We have no money to spend, and by all reckoning, have already experienced financial fair play restrictions with more to follow. I think we've all come to accept that promotion is a pipe dream again and our players who might be capable of that - Bannan, Reach, Forrestieri - will probably be sold in the summer.

At that point, what does it matter if we've "spent big"? Would it change the conversation if we used the term "financially mismanaged" instead?

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:16, billyblack said:

Yep. And that comes from the top. No strategy or plan. No hand on the rudder. Just mindless panic buys.

For the very first time for ages we have a youth strategy that has young players coming through to the first team squad...when did that happen before. The problem was that CC wanted seasoned pro's to get us up. It hasn't worked so we go again this time with young hungry players...that's just football

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:11, fred mciver said:

Highest ratio anywhere.

van aken tho

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

For the very first time for ages we have a youth strategy that has young players coming through to the first team squad...when did that happen before. The problem was that CC wanted seasoned pro's to get us up. It hasn't worked so we go again this time with young hungry players...that's just football

I love the fact we are playing youth, thats great. I was referring to the lack of plan and forethought when we were actually spending money