The money we've spent!

13 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

So turns out we were 10th in the wage league last season and Cardiff who went up having spent nowt apparently paid almost identical wages to us but of course didn’t have 3/4 of their squad injured for most of the season

Yes. That and one of the most successful managers at this level

13 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

So turns out we were 10th in the wage league last season and Cardiff who went up having spent nowt apparently paid almost identical wages to us but of course didn’t have 3/4 of their squad injured for most of the season

Where have you got that from? Sounds right. Cardiff had underachieved before but interested in seeing the wage league

We’ve spent nowt, however DC has spent a lot of his own money, now if the thread alludes to him spending some of it unwisely  that’s another matter, I’ve privately regretted buying many things, it happens to us all. Would anyone like to go back to the days when the club was a hair’s breadth away from being wound up?

6 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

We’ve spent nowt, however DC has spent a lot of his own money, now if the thread alludes to him spending some of it unwisely  that’s another matter, I’ve privately regretted buying many things, it happens to us all. Would anyone like to go back to the days when the club was a hair’s breadth away from being wound up?

Eh!!?!? So those £40 signs for seats on the North Stand are just for show?

It was basically Year Two where recruitment went horribly wrong. In the first year, by and large, we got the recruitment right, and post Wembley, we needed to consolidate by strengthening 2 or 3 key positions. The money that DC made available, should have been more than adequate to add a few players of real quality, in positions that were needed. Instead, we splurged the money on an additional thirteen players, most of whom were no better than what we had. Worse than that, we didn’t address the shortcomings that everyone was aware of. 

However, what’s done, is done. We are not the first club in this division to get our recruitment wrong, and plenty of aspiring Championship clubs have sailed close to the wind with regards to FFP. It’s not all doom and gloom, we still have some very good players, and the nucleus of a good squad. We also have a youth system, that is hopefully starting to produce.

With players, on big salaries, coming to the end of their contracts, we can finally start to get our house in order. A more streamlined squad, supplemented by some quality loan signings, and we’re good to go. That is an area which we have neglected, most of the promoted sides from this division have used the loan system extensively. When Huddersfield went up, at one time, they had 7 loan signings. Watching Derby last night, you could see the benefit of their loanees, young players with energy and skill. As I said, we failed to take advantage of a system that allows you to recruit players with a level of skill, that you couldn’t afford to buy. When we did make loan signings, they were often older players, who just duplicated what we already had 

I am optimistic that, beyond all the scaremongering, something good can be built, something that will be more sustainable.

• Like 2

We choose to pay our money to watch a game of football, why people think its their money after that amuses me, once you have handed over your money its his money to re invest or pee up the wall as he sees fit.

Not saying I agree with how its been spent but its definitely not my money cos I purchased a ticket and watched a game of football in return for my payment. You don't have a say in what Currys do with their money just because you bought a TV from there once.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DundeeOWLS said:

We choose to pay our money to watch a game of football, why people think its their money after that amuses me, once you have handed over your money its his money to re invest or pee up the wall as he sees fit.

Not saying I agree with how its been spent but its definitely not my money cos I purchased a ticket and watched a game of football in return for my payment. You don't have a say in what Currys do with their money just because you bought a TV from there once.

True, but you don't spend hours, and days and weeks in Curry's either. lol

46 minutes ago, DundeeOWLS said:

While I agree you have a bit of a point.

But Currys dont tell its customers WACAW, you are all part of the 'Currys Family'
And Currys dont say we are putting the prices up so the TVs are of a better quality and its turns out they about the same as before.

1 hour ago, DundeeOWLS said:

Does yer TV go off for a fornight..Then suddenly come back on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Thought you didn't like stats.

And Cardiff had residual benefit of parachutes so much lower ratio. 

But it's also how you spent it , not how much. 

Basically, we are worst off than with Gray after spending millions.

6 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Thats not a stat its a list of who spent what on wages in a thread about how we have spent BIG when we really haven't 

Guest Bulgaria
On 31/10/2018 at 14:18, Not Jon Newsome said:

You really think your 300 quid season ticket covers anything?

Fletcher's wages for around 2 hours?

15 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Thats not a stat its a list of who spent what on wages in a thread about how we have spent BIG when we really haven't 

It's all relative to income - you can't compare us to those with parachutes , say, without ratios.

So, we are the BIGGEST spenders on players in all leagues, splurging 124% of our turnover.

By contrast, Blades and Rovrum have spent peanuts.

And we still worst defence in division.

On 29/10/2018 at 18:09, Lawrie Madden said:

We spent a reasonable amount of money in year 1and 2 around £30m 

Over 3 and a Half seasons we have spent a very small amount around a quarter of it playing down the road in Norwich 

Its a fallacy that we have spent big 

Tell that to the EFL.

16 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Just remind me how many play offs Gray got us to ? And I missed the Wembley appearance under him as well

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Just remind me how many play offs Gray got us to ? And I missed the Wembley appearance under him as well

What about now though in November 2018 are we any better on the pitch then we were under Gray? 

Maybe this is just a blip and we will go on a good run and get in the play off this season, but I wouldn't put any money on it this season, next season or the one after.

The getting to the play offs was all built on a foundations of sand with no real back up plan if we didn't go up.