I Am Not Holding My Breath

With two losses in a row we are now five points behind where we were two years ago. Although that is recoverable over the next three games, the nature of our play leaves me a little less convinced that we can do this. Rotherham's performance at Middlesbrough sort of put things into context.   

QPR looked to be there for the taking early on, they paid us so much respect. When Mr Brolly realised that we were not following up tackles with any tenacity and simply leaving the ball for QPR to regain possession, he changed from the defensive to the offensive and got the reward.    

Its no good our moaning about injuries and unavailable players although changing out the entire defence after the Middlesbrough game I thought was extreme. The performance was almost as bad as the Brentford game with us never really troubling their back line. Let's just hope we get it together at Birmingham on Saturday, although I'm not holding my breath. 

It is good that we are playing badly and having some duff results AND we are still in contention.

We have a load of things we can improve on. As you say, let's hope that we can.

This is better than it being that we are playing at our best and nothing can change for the better.

If we get anywhere near the playoffs will be an over achievement. What I've come to realise is this season is about trying to sort out the mess... finish the season, bring through some of the youth to see what we can use for next season, get rid of a lot of the dead wood at the end of the season, comply with EFL spending rules and try and see how to move forward, potentially losing some big names on the process.

For fans to expect Jos to win all the games we have and get promoted is a pipe dream.. getting promoted is possible as anything can be achievable but I don't think it's what this season is all about.

As for squad rotation, as much as I'd love for us to play the best team every game it would inevitably take it's toll on the players. We have enough players injured as it is.

Think we just have to enjoy the good and accept the bad and see what happens, hopefully not scrapping near the bottom near the end.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

'm not holding my breath. 

Good, if you do end up holding your breath though make sure it’s not for too long or you’ll die 

We’ve been well beaten by Wigan, Brentford, Forest and QPR which is a worry about where we are in this league. We’ve done well to pick up 5 wins so far.

I hope I’m wrong but the way we’re playing the next four fixtures look tough and with the likes of Millwall and Preston starting to pick up points I’m expecting to be close to the bottom 3 by December.

1 hour ago, nilsson said:

We’ve been well beaten by Wigan, Brentford, Forest and QPR which is a worry about where we are in this league. We’ve done well to pick up 5 wins so far.

I hope I’m wrong but the way we’re playing the next four fixtures look tough and with the likes of Millwall and Preston starting to pick up points I’m expecting to be close to the bottom 3 by December.

That's it, keep the positivity coming.

If we get into the playoffs it will be because we have won more points than the teams below us. Unless we have been lucky in the majority of these games or the refs have favoured us (which won't happen because we are Wednesday) then we won't have over achieved, we will just have achieved. We will have deserved it.

Edited by OxonOwl

2 hours ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

If we get anywhere near the playoffs will be an over achievement. What I've come to realise is this season is about trying to sort out the mess... finish the season, bring through some of the youth to see what we can use for next season, get rid of a lot of the dead wood at the end of the season, comply with EFL spending rules and try and see how to move forward, potentially losing some big names on the process.

For fans to expect Jos to win all the games we have and get promoted is a pipe dream.. getting promoted is possible as anything can be achievable but I don't think it's what this season is all about.

As for squad rotation, as much as I'd love for us to play the best team every game it would inevitably take it's toll on the players. We have enough players injured as it is.

Think we just have to enjoy the good and accept the bad and see what happens, hopefully not scrapping near the bottom near the end.

Can you make our chairman aware of this.

For some reason he seems to think we're in a promotion or buggered situation.

2 hours ago, torres said:

Get a settled side and a way of playing and we should be ok.

Anything above midtable is a bonus this year.

Hoping beyond hope that the injury debacle clears up soon!!

Is that what chansiri meant when he said if we don't get promoted this season we're in trouble?

Just now, poite said:

Is that what chansiri meant when he said if we don't get promoted this season we're in trouble?

I wouldn't have thought so because mid table isn't promotion pal. 

In the real world we had no chance of getting promoted with this squad 

3 hours ago, torres said:

Get a settled side and a way of playing and we should be ok.

Anything above midtable is a bonus this year.

Hoping beyond hope that the injury debacle clears up soon!!

No sign of a settled side under Jos, it’s not his game 

3 hours ago, mark1948 said:

With two losses in a row we are now five points behind where we were two years ago. Although that is recoverable over the next three games, the nature of our play leaves me a little less convinced that we can do this. Rotherham's performance at Middlesbrough sort of put things into context.   

QPR looked to be there for the taking early on, they paid us so much respect. When Mr Brolly realised that we were not following up tackles with any tenacity and simply leaving the ball for QPR to regain possession, he changed from the defensive to the offensive and got the reward.    

Its no good our moaning about injuries and unavailable players although changing out the entire defence after the Middlesbrough game I thought was extreme. The performance was almost as bad as the Brentford game with us never really troubling their back line. Let's just hope we get it together at Birmingham on Saturday, although I'm not holding my breath. 

Your right, this is the problem.

Look at amount of strikers who are or have failed  (for the most part) at SWFC in the last 12 months:

Rhodes, Fletcher, Joao, Nuhiu, Winnall

We have little pace, no width (out & out wingers), and do not attack as a team, achieving basically no overloads in the final 3rd.

It's desperately difficult for strikers ti shine in our team. it's about time we looked at the reason beneath.

1 hour ago, Mat-Owl said:

We've also had decent results against Stoke, WBA, Leeds & Villa!! It's all swings & roundabouts, consolidation is the key for this season

Except that Stoke are shyte, we had a bad result against WBA, we were lucky against leeds and villa are proper reyt shyte.

Apart from that I remain optimistic. :ohmy: