Best way to keep a clean sheet?

Everyone is desperate to keep a clean sheet now. We need to get it out of the way quickly. 

What defence would you go with for the next 10 games? (And you can’t pick Westwood)

Id go...

Wilsdmith

Palmer Lees Hector Pudil

Lees and Hector are by far our best two centre backs but from my memory haven’t played in a back four together. 

Pudil left back for his experience, tell him not to keep bombing on and there’s no reason why he can’t be an effective full back again. 

27 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Everyone is desperate to keep a clean sheet now. We need to get it out of the way quickly. 

What defence would you go with for the next 10 games? (And you can’t pick Westwood)

Id go...

Wilsdmith

Palmer Lees Hector Pudil

Lees and Hector are by far our best two centre backs but from my memory haven’t played in a back four together. 

Pudil left back for his experience, tell him not to keep bombing on and there’s no reason why he can’t be an effective full back again. 

Sorry I think we need a Bricklayer.

34 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Id go...

Wilsdmith

Palmer Lees Hector Pudil

I’d apply to the league and ask for special dispensation to allow us to play 3 keepers in net to satisfy every one of our fans then :D winner winner 

A radical idea I would pick you best players for each position and play them there in the next game

Best Goal Keeper - Westwood

Best Right back - Palmer, Best Centre back - Hector, The other best Centre back Lees, The best Left back - Penney

It is not difficult when you are struggling you look to experience, but when your experience is Fox you then don't go to that option because he is cack.

Wildsmith (Dawson's poor at crosses & communication) 

Palmer, Lees ,Hutchinson,Pudil 

Hector         Joey 

Reach           Bannan (i would fine him £1 everytime he come in our half for the ball)                     Fernando 

Fletcher .

That would be my team if Hutch & FF was fit . 

The focus on our ineptitude changes incrementally. There has been a debate about the lack of decent fullbacks for two seasons .  Penny has come along and that dims the spotlight on that problem. The debate then moves to lack of pace, particularly on the flanks... that shortage is not addressed but the debate then turns to central defenders. We let Sasso go plus the guy who’s name begins with V ( who was desperate to stay) and poor old Tom Lees is left on his own with a little help from Pudil who announces that his legs have gone. Hector comes along and improves things and Tom seems to have a new spring in his step ( despite the gaff last Friday) 

The focus is now on our strikers, a position where we seemed to have an embarrassment of riches. The two up front last night were , and some might say always have been, awful.

Don’t need to debate the goalkeeping situation, we all know who should be between the sticks.... injuries, all clubs get them...but effective recruitment ,  nothing gets fixed, the focus just changes.

25 minutes ago, Homer said:

Wildsmith (Dawson's poor at crosses & communication) 

Palmer, Lees ,Hutchinson,Pudil 

Hector         Joey 

Reach           Bannan (i would fine him £1 everytime he come in our half for the ball)                     Fernando 

Fletcher .

That would be my team if Hutch & FF was fit . 

I agree about bannan, never seen an attacking centre mid spend so much time in their own defending half of the pitch

26 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

I agree about bannan, never seen an attacking centre mid spend so much time in their own defending half of the pitch

Here's a radical thought then and unfortunately one I've started to come back to.  How about Bannan gets the hook then for one game?  Jos has already said, everything goes through him, the players need to spread the responsibility.  I actually think he had a poor game last night and its not the first time this season.  Yes on his day, he's a smashing little player, but he has his limitations.  He does not contribute enough goals from midfield, I don't think he has enough assists for someone who supposedly pulls our strings.  Apparently last night he had the most touches in a single game than anybody in the Championship in the last 50 years ( I exaggerate, but the commentator kept going on about it).  So for somebody with so much possession, would you not expect more from it?  Its all neat and tidy, but where is the threat?  Where is the fear in the opposition when he gets the ball?

This suicide stuff that we play around the back 4 and midfielders I think is a direct result of trying to get him in the game or him coming deep for the ball.  He's inviting teams on to us.  If we want to vary it up a bit, then Pelupessy and Onomah are plenty capable enough of dropping in to receive the ball, but I wouldn't make it our default out ball.  We play these cutesie little balls inside, which to me, just invites teams to press us in a really bad place if we lose the ball.  If Bannan isn't there, then the ball has to go forward quicker, either into feet of the strikers, or down the line.  That to me makes Joao more of a threat, that makes Reach more of a threat.  We also lessen the risk of fannying around with it in our own half and inviting the press. 

Before everybody gets their pitch forks out, there's precedence for this.  It happened and was discussed in 15/16.  We lost him for 3 games after Forest away and results improved but also I think we only conceded one in the next 3.  We played outstandingly well against West Brom for 80 odd minutes without him.  I'm not questioning his commitment or his desire to play well, far from it.  I'm questioning whether he is the right type of player for this league in that position of CM.  I've said it before, I think he is best utilised much further up the pitch (like a Juan Mata type role) and if he keeps dropping deep and inviting the press, I think we'll continue to have problems.

I look forward to your well thought out, insightful and rational replies!   :wacko:

6 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Here's a radical thought then and unfortunately one I've started to come back to.  How about Bannan gets the hook then for one game?  Jos has already said, everything goes through him, the players need to spread the responsibility.  I actually think he had a poor game last night and its not the first time this season.  Yes on his day, he's a smashing little player, but he has his limitations.  He does not contribute enough goals from midfield, I don't think he has enough assists for someone who supposedly pulls our strings.  Apparently last night he had the most touches in a single game than anybody in the Championship in the last 50 years ( I exaggerate, but the commentator kept going on about it).  So for somebody with so much possession, would you not expect more from it?  Its all neat and tidy, but where is the threat?  Where is the fear in the opposition when he gets the ball?

This suicide stuff that we play around the back 4 and midfielders I think is a direct result of trying to get him in the game or him coming deep for the ball.  He's inviting teams on to us.  If we want to vary it up a bit, then Pelupessy and Onomah are plenty capable enough of dropping in to receive the ball, but I wouldn't make it our default out ball.  We play these cutesie little balls inside, which to me, just invites teams to press us in a really bad place if we lose the ball.  If Bannan isn't there, then the ball has to go forward quicker, either into feet of the strikers, or down the line.  That to me makes Joao more of a threat, that makes Reach more of a threat.  We also lessen the risk of fannying around with it in our own half and inviting the press. 

Before everybody gets their pitch forks out, there's precedence for this.  It happened and was discussed in 15/16.  We lost him for 3 games after Forest away and results improved but also I think we only conceded one in the next 3.  We played outstandingly well against West Brom for 80 odd minutes without him.  I'm not questioning his commitment or his desire to play well, far from it.  I'm questioning whether he is the right type of player for this league in that position of CM.  I've said it before, I think he is best utilised much further up the pitch (like a Juan Mata type role) and if he keeps dropping deep and inviting the press, I think we'll continue to have problems.

I look forward to your well thought out, insightful and rational replies!   :wacko:

sw-gif-waiting.gif