Jos - no room for maneuver - no quick fix

I'm pretty sure that the manager is as frustrated as we are with the two recent defeats. 

I'm sure he was hoping that we'd be able to keep up the sequence that had seen us pick up just 1 defeat in 9 before this Friday-Tuesday no show.  

He's working with the tools he has at his disposal. We can say it's pap. And last nights second half showing was pap. (I didn't think we looked too threatened first half to be honest)

So we've lost two on the spin now.  That's 3 wins on the spin now for QPR. Just shows how teams can put little runs together. 

I'm sure he'd like to be able to mix things up. Must be as frustrated as us.  He's had two transfer windows to sort things out so far hasn't he. 

Well, actually.....has he?

Because in those two windows he's been allowed to make one permanent signing.

And in the last window two loan signings. One of who I think has been a huge success overall. 

Out

Glenn Loovens  - Free
Ross Wallace - Free
Jake Kean - Free
George Hirst - TB
Jack Hunt  -£1.6m
Sean Clare - Free

Fred Venancio - Loan end

Received est -: £1.9m

In

Pelupessy 

Paid Est -:  £375k

With the contracts that are up in the summer. Some of them huge contracts that have been sapping the club he will, hopefully, be given the chance to make some headway and put his own stamp on the team.

I'm sure he'll look forward with as much relish as us supporters to see some of the dead wood finally offloaded ready to rebuild with the sort of players he wants. 

But there's a problem again there isn't there!

Because though we'll be seeing the back of some big earning low hitters we're not going to recoup anywhere near the outlay we paid for them in fees, signing on fees or wages

.And on that score he once more faces a window with his hands tied behind his back. 

We might be able to play a game of "one in one out" but the likelyhood is that the players we bring in will be young, hungry and cheap.

In many ways that's great. Personally I want to see young hungry players. But it  does mean there is going to be no easy fix. 

There will be no spending on ready made quality players.

It's a long haul. 

And whether Jos is the manager you wan't or don't want - whether he's the right man or the wrong man -  the truth remains that whoever was in the hotseat.

Whether it be Jos, Meggo, Big Mick or Pep Gaurdiola they would all be facing the same problem.

Namely having to claw back money while trying to build a side. And on top that, build a side which supporters want challenging at the top end! 

It's destroyed Shreeves and Yorath in the past having to do the same. Made Chris Turner risk his reputation as a playing legend. 

Doesn't matter who the manager is. 

We could have a new one every 3 months, the story would be the same. 

Which is why, at the moment, I think it's worth giving this man the backing whilst he tries to rebuild after the shining , glittering temple we attempted to build in a short time on sand collapsed.

Related image

He nor any other manager has the scope to make this mess....

1. Darryl Lachman
  2. Brad Beatson
  3. Marco Matias
  4. Lewis Price
  5. Ross Wallace
  6. Lewis McGugan
  7. Lucas João
  8. Jonatas Centeno
  9. Rhoys Wiggins
  10. Modou Sougou
  11. Fernando Forestieri
  12. Barry Bannan
  13. Jack Hunt
  14. Gary Hooper
  15. Steven Fletcher 
  16. Jake Kean
  17. Almen Abdi
  18. Daniel Pudil
  19. David Jones
  20. Vincent Sasso
  21. Adam Reach
  22. Urby Emanuelson
  23. Morgan Fox
  24. Sam Winnall
  25. Jordan Rhodes
  26. George Boyd
  27. Joost van Aken

Est - £33m

1. Lewis Buxton
  2. Giles Coke
  3. Paul Corry
  4. Rafael Floro
  5. Dejan Kelhar
  6. Gary Madine
  7. Jacques Maghoma
  8. Joe Mattock
  9. Rhys McCabe
  10. Matt Young
  11. Kamil Zayatte
  12. Chris Kirkland
  13. Chris Maguire
  14. Stevie May
  15. Rhoys Wiggins
  16. Lewis Price
  17. Caolan Lavery
  18. Marnick Vermijl
  19. Jérémy Hélan
  20. Sergiu Buș
  21. Claude Dielna
  22. Urby Emanuelson
  23. Darryl Lachman
  24. Vincent Sasso
  25. Jose Semedo
  26. Modou Sougou
  27. Filipe Melo
  28. Lewis McGugan
  29. James Murphy

Est - : £1.3m

... a quick or easy fix.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I think it's safe to say, we will be a mid table team for a couple of seasons... unless we punch above our weight. 

We are in a mess that can be put right but not over night or by bringing a new manager as we have no money to spend.

Start reshaping next season... spend about more season after and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Pick a team pick a system then stick with it at the moment the players seem as confused as the fans 

Tactically. I think they should be able to play most systems to be honest. They're pros. 

I agree with you in regards playing a pretty settled side. I think it's good for the players.

Takes time to build partnerships and understanding which chopping and changing doesn't help, IMO.

That said, I do wonder how much of the changes are to do with the genuine concerns about players getting injured, especially considering our recent ability to turn players into crippled has-beens.  

It's using the tools in the right manner though surely? 

We continually play out from the back with defenders who don't like the ball to feet. When we do pass it we give it to Bannan who is either on the toes of our defenders or about 10 yards further up becuase nobody else will take responsibility for the ball. Bannan then either does some fancy turns and passes it back to the defender, who doesnt want it, or passes it long but we have no pace to run onto it. If the defenders can't pass to Bannan they hoof it either to the opposition or out of play. 

Teams, like Boro did are clocking on to this and they will press the defence which will lead to us either giving the ball away (like last night and Boro) or press Bannan like Leeds did so he becomes innefective. 

He has to settle on a formation and a system but mix up the style of play a bit. 3-5-2 was OK last year because Venancio was a ball carrier and could play a bit, Lees isn't that player, if he plays it's in the middle with Hector on the right. 

Reach isn't a number 10, he's a winger or a wing back. Penney isn't an attacking midfielder, he's a LB. 

If I was managing a team against us it would be quite simple, press the defence, isolate Bannan and get lots of crosses in becuase whilst Dawson is a great shot stopper aerially he has a lot of development to do. 

• Thanks 2

Get through this season and try to offload from our huge wage bill. I don't want to get rid of everyone, i'd love to keep FF and the like. But if we have to get rid of everyone from the Carlos era to start a fresh, then so be it. Especially now we have CEO in place. I would hope Katrian is overseeing recruitment and hopefully keeping DC grounded - no more signings to just please fans. Proper strategy in place to benefit the club in the future, together with our academy that is now producing good players. No more ****** Doyen sports. 

At the minute it's death by a thousand cuts. We're not good enough for the play offs, probably not bad enough to go down, just mid table mediocrity - but with the wage bill and players that ought to be doing better. Added to that fans expectation is through the roof, because of the amount we've spent (and it doesn't help that the pigs are doing well on half that budget)

It's starting look like there are players here that are happy to sit on the sidelines and take a wage. Not up for a battle, no mental, physical strength or drive. Some distributive players as well perhaps. Maybe too many ego's and not enough team players and leaders. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Parrott71 said:

We've used 29 players in 16 games, even with the injuries that's too many. 

How many is it if you discount the league cup and unused subs, out of interest?

(no problem if you can’t be bothered to work that out - I certainly can’t)