Sell reach and sort out the defence?

11 hours ago, owlmanc said:

Agreed. However I think in the current climate we should be looking for more than £15m+

And if someone offers that it surely is a no brainer got to start selling players when they are at their highest market value 

So. We are not doing well. We are constricted by FFP. The sale of one of our major 'names' is the answer.

The man we choose to sell is the man who is providing us with most goals. 

Sounds a bit cack-handed to me.Possibly, horror of horrors, the man we should be looking at is FF. Certainly over the last season and a half , his value to us has been ZERO due to his being unavailable. Reach played every game last season, and also this. Consequentially, he is going to have 'poor' games, as do the best.

13 hours ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

So the only team without a clean sheet...

January is coming, plenty of interest in Reach I'd assume... so do we sell and try and sort out the defence, would we have more chance of winning with a clean tighter defence than having reach?

He's probably our most valuable asset at the moment but how else can we try and sort the defensive issue if we haven't 3 beans to rub together....

Who could we get with 10-12 million? Would be useless without Reach, or do we have enough options?

Do you honestly think any of that money would be spent on players? 

It would go to lower our losses .

13 hours ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

So the only team without a clean sheet...

January is coming, plenty of interest in Reach I'd assume... so do we sell and try and sort out the defence, would we have more chance of winning with a clean tighter defence than having reach?

He's probably our most valuable asset at the moment but how else can we try and sort the defensive issue if we haven't 3 beans to rub together....

Who could we get with 10-12 million? Would be useless without Reach, or do we have enough options?

No.

I am afraid that even if all our players were fully fit and able to be played, there are only a handful of players that we have like Adam Reach, that really do stand out when compared to most of our other players, some of whom may think they are of the same class, but unfortunately probably never will be. If players like Reach, Bannan, Lee, Hooper, Pudil or Forestieri are having bad games, unless they are injured, they work even harder for the team, because they know it is a team game and need to compensate for their lack of form. 

If selling Hunt, getting (£10M) JR out on loan and not paying his, Looven's, or Wallace's wages, or the high appearance add ons that some of the older players are rumoured to be on, is what we needed to do, just to be able to take Onomah and Hector on loan, then selling Reach, even for £20M, will not do too much to swell the coffers in January, or in the summer.

Would we need to sign one, or two defenders to sort out the defence, with the money left over from such a deal? 

What about our midfield after that? Are Bannan, Pelupessy and Onomah up to battling it out for a full season, with the tall and powerful midfielders that abound in the championship?

When Reach has carried us in so many games over the last year or so and although some people will not acknowledge all the hard work he does, many people do (even when he is not scoring screamers), and I believe that we would struggle to survive without him at the moment, especially in our current situation. Just my opinion of course, but without Reach, I don't think we can rely on Joao, Bannan, Fletcher or Nuhiu to score too many goals from nothing, especially as, when they have scored recently, he has often been involved in the build up.

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

So. We are not doing well. We are constricted by FFP. The sale of one of our major 'names' is the answer.

The man we choose to sell is the man who is providing us with most goals. 

Sounds a bit cack-handed to me.Possibly, horror of horrors, the man we should be looking at is FF. Certainly over the last season and a half , his value to us has been ZERO due to his being unavailable. Reach played every game last season, and also this. Consequentially, he is going to have 'poor' games, as do the best.

Other clubs will see that... so how much would FF be worth? Hardly played, injured... ?

On 24/10/2018 at 13:36, Bouncing Owl said:

Sell Reach and sort FFP out!

Rebuild in the summer after a huge clear out.

I would agree but we need to make sure we stay up and players actually coming back from injury seems alien to us.

Teams like Bolton and Rotherham are working with peanuts but appear to have more organisation and fight than us.

Edited by oldishowl

19 minutes ago, nilsson said:

Even if we sold Reach or FF the fee would probably only just about cover this year’s wages for Abdi, Hutchinson, Westwood, van Aken, Boyd, Jones, Lee, Hooper, Winnall and Matias.

We’d be selling our best players to pay the wages of players who don’t even play

:duntmatter:

God!..thats a f.ookin' shocking equation....but its probably not far off..Its like a bloody charity....

No-one will honestly pay £15 or £20 million for reach...unless they simply re watch the last 4 or 5 games on tv....Football club scouts don't do that...

They will look at what his overall contribution to their respective team will be...and bearing in mind, most clubs in the championship, or above , that can afford it, probably wouldn't take the punt....

We need Carlos to take over at man city....might get £40 mill for abdi..................

13 minutes ago, brando said:

really for Reach must admit still think the 5 mill was alot

Think it's more about us doing what other clubs do and asking for daft money and seeing what bites. 

Rather our usual tack.

"Well take £2.5m"

"Cool, we'd have offered £7m but yeah we'll give you £2m"