Sell reach and sort out the defence?

So the only team without a clean sheet...

January is coming, plenty of interest in Reach I'd assume... so do we sell and try and sort out the defence, would we have more chance of winning with a clean tighter defence than having reach?

He's probably our most valuable asset at the moment but how else can we try and sort the defensive issue if we haven't 3 beans to rub together....

Who could we get with 10-12 million? Would be useless without Reach, or do we have enough options?

5 minutes ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

January is coming, plenty of interest in Reach I'd assume... so do we sell and try and sort out the defence, would we have more chance of winning with a clean tighter defence than having reach?

He's probably our most valuable asset at the moment but how else can we try and sort the defensive issue if we haven't 3 beans to rub together....

Who could we get with 10-12 million? Would be useless without Reach, or do we have enough options?

Nobody because the £10-£12m will be used to bridge the predicted FFP/P&S shortfall thus avoiding a further embargo, fines & or points deductions.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

for me hutch is the answer  either in the back 3 or in front protecting them ...we miss him big time ,he may be a crock but whenever he's fit he should play .

At the start of the season of have said no, build the team without him.

Now though, here we are in late October with a third of the season gone...

bottom half

no clean sheets

Devoid of confidence

No likely incomings in January

Yes, if he's available play him. We have nothing to lose by it.

1 hour ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

We just need to play a traditional back 4, Westwood in goal to shout and organise, and keep a settled side. 

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

yes i would sell reach.

Makes sense given our predicament.

Hopefully by then we have a few players back fit to cover the loss.

Agreed. However I think in the current climate we should be looking for more than £15m+

If we could guarantee staying up this year and avoiding FFP I would sell Reach and Forestieri in January. We'd probably get approaching 15-20m for the pair. Trouble is we can't guarantee staying up.

It would hurt and it will particularly hurt those who have been sold on the 'you have to pay top dollar to keep quality players at the club and get promoted' from Chansiri. We have paid top dollar and probably have little choice but to lose most of the quality.

We need cheaper tickets, a full house, a young team and a real bunker mentality to start again next season, whilst avoiding FFP. Trouble is none of those things really encourage the other.

Difficult times ahead but expected after Chansiri went off like a blind bull in a China shop for 2 years and now faces a hefty repair job.

Edited by Mystic Neg

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

for me hutch is the answer  either in the back 3 or in front protecting them ...we miss him big time ,he may be a crock but whenever he's fit he should play .

Lol.  

Hutch is the answer?  What makes you think he's physically equipped to accept your call??

Come ON, people.

Or I this is out there so bare with me.

Don't sell our best current playing and instead play the best players you have for the defensive positions

So

Westwood

Palmer/Hector/Lees/Penney

Try this back 5 for the next 5 games and I bet we get a least a few clean sheets.

13 hours ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

No - we have adequate defenders - it's just that the manager changes the back four ad-hoc and they can't get any consistency.

Lees and Hector at centre back and any combination of pudil, palmer and thorniley is adequate enough.

No brainer to sell Reach in January if a big bid comes in. If we can get an up front fee to sort FFP out and we can offload just about everyone who’s out of contract bar Penney in the summer, then we can start to rebuild for the future. Hopefully, we can put past mistakes behind us as this is one almighty mess with our current injuries and isolation of senior players.

2 minutes ago, ka58 said:

No - we have adequate defenders - it's just that the manager changes the back four ad-hoc and they can't get any consistency.

Lees and Hector at centre back and any combination of pudil, palmer and thorniley is adequate enough.

To be fair most of the back line that beat Bristol played against Middlesbrough. 

It's hard to legislate for two absolute brain-melt moments of madness.