Key thing that we're missing that never gets mentioned

People continue to raise the ommission of Westwood from the side and bemoan our injury list but there's one player we let go of last season who personally I believe we miss as much as anyone.

Glenn Loovens 

Don't get me wrong. At the end of last season I'd have been one of the first to agree that loovens was past it and releasing him was the right thing to do. But that was on the assumption that we would be replacing him with someone with similar attributes. We bizarrely just didn't bother.  We miss his leadership and organisation so much and think the importance of this is hugely underestimated. 

We have signed Hector, who despite some poor team results, has been somewhat of a shining light but I'm not sure he's the answer to filling some of the gaps left by loovens. Tom Lees is not a captain. Bannan has been suggested but I'm not totally sold on that. I think Bannan should be left to continue the great form he's been in without the added responsibility.

I'm not saying that letting loovens go is the reason for our poor form but I'd be happy to bet that we'd have had a clean sheet by now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He was absolutely out on his arse, finished beyond repair.  If he was still here and starting every week we'd have lost every game.

If however, you mean the Glenn Loovens who first arrived at Hillsborough, then yes, that's exactly the sort of defender we need.

At the time, a fantastic signing, and proof that you can get quality, without throwing millions at injury prone "stars" we could do with some more shrewd business like that. 

9 minutes ago, poite said:

People continue to raise the ommission of Westwood from the side and bemoan our injury list but there's one player we let go of last season who personally I believe we miss as much as anyone.

Glenn Loovens 

Don't get me wrong. At the end of last season I'd have been one of the first to agree that loovens was past it and releasing him was the right thing to do. But that was on the assumption that we would be replacing him with someone with similar attributes. We bizarrely just didn't bother.  We miss his leadership and organisation so much and think the importance of this is hugely underestimated. 

We have signed Hector, who despite some poor team results, has been somewhat of a shining light but I'm not sure he's the answer to filling some of the gaps left by loovens. Tom Lees is not a captain. Bannan has been suggested but I'm not totally sold on that. I think Bannan should be left to continue the great form he's been in without the added responsibility.

I'm not saying that letting loovens go is the reason for our poor form but I'd be happy to bet that we'd have had a clean sheet by now.

Er no.

he left because he was done and now plays in an average  Sunderland league 1 team

9 minutes ago, poite said:

Glenn Loovens 

Er no.

he left because he was done and now plays in an average  Sunderland league 1 team

19 minutes ago, poite said:

Glenn Loovens 

I've mentioned this on a few other threads this season and tonight too bud. Great teams contain leaders players that have the character to pull others around them and galvanise them into one single entity on the pitch and also inspire them to play above their level. Look at the most successful teams, they all contained leadership in droves. Arsenal's unbeatables, man utd with Schmeichel, Bruce, pallister, Keane, Sheringham etc.. 

Its the main problem we have and until it is addressed were going to be inconsistent and struggle. 

9 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

The key thing we are missing is a mandaric style brain at the top of the chain...DC may have the cambio but he’s not got the football brain to run the club!!

All over it mate ^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

Everyone put this in your posts and underline it 

The truth is Lees is only half the player if Loovens isn't alongside him. Lees needs bossing around, he needs a calming influence.

Hector is great but in a different way to Loovens. Maybe Lees and Hector will work given time, let's hope so.

We need to thoroughly overhaul the defence, it just isn't working. 3 at the back or 4 across the back, who knows but we need some organisation and a little bit of bite which we don't currently have.

I'd consider bringing Westwood back to shout at the defence, if he has really lost it then give Wildsmith a shot. Nothing against Dawson, he's a good shot stopper, but we need to try something different. 

47 minutes ago, poite said:

Glenn Loovens 

Loovens was shot last season, when he played h looked a liability. Vanencio was the one sorting out the defence the second half of last season.