Should we have kept Wallace

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It was hopeless, it's bizarre what's happened to him. Because you can't say he's always been a bad player. He used to tear us apart for Peterborough. And he played consistently at this level and higher for Burnley and Hull. 

Agreed we had an ageing squad. But hopefully the club has learned from their mistakes. However I can completely see why we went for him on a free transfer when money was tight. It's just completely backfired.

He played in the next round against Wolves and was woeful then as well.

Ross was one of our better older players. Less injury-prone than most, and always gave his all.

His effectiveness had dropped somewhat. Under Carlos he was being asked to play way too narrow. Earlier, when he hugged the touchline, he gave us superb balance. Our best side always had Ross on one wing and FF on the other. A superbly effective attacking midfield.

But no in answer to the OP. He was on the decline, but more importantly he could not play RWB and imo was not very good as a RM. An out and out RW, and Jos doesn’t play wingers.

12 hours ago, ES6owl said:

I’d have been tempted to offer him a 1 year deal on reduced terms. Like many have said, he can cross a ball. Great character. He should do well at fleetwood tho, I still laugh at when he nicked that note vs Brighton. Brilliant..!

Huddersfield 

• Thanks 1

Wallaces time came to an end after his 2nd season - he was abysmal last year and doesn't fit in to JOS's style of player. Wing back? feck off. hasn't got the stamina in those little legs for that anymore .. central midfield? We have enough players that have higher fitness levels than him

his impact on games was waning .. all this talk about him banging in goals - he scored 13 in 124 games ... 1 every 9-10 games and assisted in 16 goals. 16 assists in 3 years.

doesn't help mind that the players brought in to the club .. many have been failures - Urby, Sougou, Abdi, Boyd, Jones etc ...

12 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I finf it strange some people thought we should kept Ross Wallace.

There is a good reason no other championship club offered him a contract when we moved him on.

Yes we do tend to overestimate our players abilities, or maybe we are just not very good at spotting talent. It was the same when Alex Lopez left, people said we should have kept him, but on leaving us, he ended up like Wallace, playing the third tier, before becoming a free agent at the end of the season. There’s a long list of players who, after playing regularly in our first team, plummeted down the leagues. 

Also, many of those players fans were urging us to sign a couple of seasons ago, are now in League Two, or below.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes we do tend to overestimate our players abilities, or maybe we are just not very good at spotting talent. It was the same when Alex Lopez left, people said we should have kept him, but on leaving us, he ended up like Wallace, playing the third tier, before becoming a free agent at the end of the season. There’s a long list of players who, after playing regularly in our first team, plummeted down the leagues. 

Also, many of those players fans were urging us to sign a couple of seasons ago, are now in League Two, or below.

People get too attached to players and too sentimental. In Ross Wallace's case remember his goals v Arsenal and in the play offs but they were at least 2.1/2 years ago now which is an age in football.

Reda Johnson was another one A bit of a cult hero with us, mainly through his goal exploits late in games. There was a lot of debate as to whether we should have let him go, but he ended up joining, then, basket case Coventry City, before quickly disappearing into the obscurity of non league football

Ross Wallace was in contention for one of our players of the year in that second season and was in fantastic form going into the second semi versus Huddersfield and it was a massive blow when he went off very early on.

Last season it was different, we were different and it was time to let him go.

The problem isn't what he did for us or the decision to release him, it's daft threads about players not featuring for whatever reason everytime we lose a game.

23 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Fleetwood could offer more?

I'm not saying we couldn't have afforded him, I'm saying that given our current FFP situation it would have been a waste to use up the extra cash on tying him to a new deal.

I suspect the same is going to apply to a lot of our players come next summer when the deals run out.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

23 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I'm not saying we couldn't have afforded him, I'm saying that given our current FFP situation it would have been a waste to use up the extra cash on tying him to a new deal.

I suspect the same is going to apply to a lot of our players come next summer when the deals run out.

Probably,January is gonna be exciting, in a  worrying kinda way

Edited by asteener1867