Sam Hutchinson

2 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

If we have replacements who are up to it absolutely they should be, there'd be no arguments from me on those 3. Unfortunately Lees being captain makes him pretty undroppable, another reason why we need a true leader on the pitch as soon as possible. 

I'd expect Pudil to come in for Thorniley mid-week which then takes out the option of replacing Penney (unless we have a laugh and put Fox in).

Thorniley seems like a very good character to me, reliable consistent and possibly future captain material. Penney plays with a confidence and ego which is great, but even Jos has mentioned he needs to be brought down to Earth every now and then. 

Back to Hutch, didn't he play for an hour 2 u23 games ago? He then missed the latest one, is he even fit? 

I don't know what Hutch's injury/fitness situation is because, as with some of the others, there's little or no communication or update from the club.

With regards to Hutch's misdemeanors - Jos said this about Lees after Friday's performance:

Luhukay told The Star: "Tom was very, very disappointed after the game but he is our captain. He is a fantastic character and a good defender. "Sometimes these things happen. We must look forward. "It is important that we help give support to the the players who made the mistakes and hopefully it won't happen again. "Nobody means to make mistakes. We must support our players and help them for the next game."

Seems one rule for one...

5 minutes ago, Animis said:

I don't know what Hutch's injury/fitness situation is because, as with some of the others, there's little or no communication or update from the club.

With regards to Hutch's misdemeanors - Jos said this about Lees after Friday's performance:

Luhukay told The Star: "Tom was very, very disappointed after the game but he is our captain. He is a fantastic character and a good defender. "Sometimes these things happen. We must look forward. "It is important that we help give support to the the players who made the mistakes and hopefully it won't happen again. "Nobody means to make mistakes. We must support our players and help them for the next game."

I see it, or rather suspect it is a wider issue with Sam.

Remember all that stuff the other year. 'Because of Sams knees he doesn't always train' and 'We let Sam not train Friday so he's fit for Saturday'

Jos has really been quite blunt with the media when they've asked him why people aren't in the squad. 'They must be 100% fit. Not 80% or 90% but 100%". 

I suspect it's just how he works and that's that. Don't/not able to train in the week. Not considered for Saturday. 

I might be wrong. But it's a recurring thought.

Put it this way.  I doubt Jos would have entertained Paul McGraph not training for 6 years but playing every Saturday!

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Normally I'd agree. Been banging on since DC 'Year One' about that.

But....if we're going to play 3 at the back he has to be a shout for the RCB position too. Especially as that seems to be the position  who keeps being tasked the ball to start things moving.

My thinking exactly. Tom Lees needs a wake up call after Friday evening.

I would think the difference between Hutch and other players making mistakes is the way they react to the criticism.

Rumours were that Hutch had a bust up with Jos at half time at Brentford, clearly Jos ain’t the type of manager to put up someone having an argument with him at half time in front of all the players . Nor to a player who isn’t going to change, when clearly his reckless behaviour needs to change.

As for Lees. He made an awful error but it would be awful man management to leave him out because of it. 

Like it or not he is our captain, working alongside some young players and needs to be played and given the opportunity to make up for it 

Edited by oldishowl

9 minutes ago, Animis said:

Yes one rule for the captain, although I'd expect Jos to say exactly the same as above even if he was to be dropped the next match. He was pretty lenient on Joao also, who will almost certainly be dropped after his inept showing. I already said Lees being captain unfortunately made him pretty much undroppable, an unfortunate by-product to the role as he has been below par for a while. 

Re: Hutch, yes it is frustrating that we are in the dark. Let's look at the facts:

- Hutch's last league start was our worst performance in a long, long time. Hutch lost his discipline and gave away a ridiculous penalty. 

- Jos called out our senior pros after the game.

- vs Millwall Hutch and FF were left on the bench, we started Preston and Penney, a bold move which paid off. 

- Hutch remained on the bench until he got a groin injury, his only start since Brentford was the cup match vs Wolves, which we lost. 

- Before the Forest game Jos said Hutch was out of the next two matches (Forest and Villa)

- Since then Hutch played 60 mins vs Crewe (Winnall's comeback appearance) and then didn't play at all in the Hull match 

- Since Hutch was dropped we've played 10, won 5, drawn 3, losing just 2.

Hutch is either now fully fit and being left out or still on his way back. The fact that even after the Brentford match he was involved with the squad seems to suggest the same would possibly be the case now if he was available. Hopefully the journos will ask about him next time.

No place for Hutch in the midfield for me. We already sit too deep with just Bannan and Joey there, Hutch playing would just take us even deeper. Hes a shout for CB all day long, but only if fit and disciplined.

Said it in the midfield thread the other day, we need to get back to playing a back 4 in some games. Currently most games we are playing with no more than a 2 man midfield. Although we try to play with wingbacks, this isnt really happening. Instead of being part of the midfield when defending, our wingbacks are actually playing as fully fledged full backs. Meaning just Bannan and Joey are left in our midfield. 2 players to chase down 4 oncoming attacking midfield players just isnt going to work. Watch our games back and this is happening most weeks. Everytime a team comes at us, they ghost through us in the middle cos the 2 midfielders are isolated and cant chase them all down.

433 is a good shout for this team. Either Bannan with 2 behind him, or Joey behind Bannan and The lad from spurs. Hutch isnt the answer though, we need a change of tactics.

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Is he fit ?...…………...cus if he is and he is being ignored then it`s a situation that needs to change very quickly off the back of some of the displays Friday night , and anyone saying he shouldn`t be part of the squad and questioning what he offers must have VERY short memories.

I wouldn't say he shouldn't be part of the squad.

I wouldn't be happy with Jos if he's isolated him from the squad, likewise I wouldn't be happy with Hutch if he's got the monk on because he thinks he's gaurenteed a start without putting the effort in during the week.

I think he could still do a job in a back three. He's got to get his act together discipline wise, but conversely we need more players like Hutch to start dishing it out when teams like Middlesbrough roll up and start knocking our players around.

I assume Hutch, Boyd, Jones et al aren't showing the commitment to the plan in training during the week, which would be very disappointing if true.

30 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

No place for Hutch in the midfield for me. We already sit too deep with just Bannan and Joey there, Hutch playing would just take us even deeper. Hes a shout for CB all day long, but only if fit and disciplined.

Said it in the midfield thread the other day, we need to get back to playing a back 4 in some games. Currently most games we are playing with no more than a 2 man midfield. Although we try to play with wingbacks, this isnt really happening. Instead of being part of the midfield when defending, our wingbacks are actually playing as fully fledged full backs. Meaning just Bannan and Joey are left in our midfield. 2 players to chase down 4 oncoming attacking midfield players just isnt going to work. Watch our games back and this is happening most weeks. Everytime a team comes at us, they ghost through us in the middle cos the 2 midfielders are isolated and cant chase them all down.

433 is a good shout for this team. Either Bannan with 2 behind him, or Joey behind Bannan and The lad from spurs. Hutch isnt the answer though, we need a change of tactics.

I agree the midfield is none existant at times.

54 minutes ago, Blatter said:

My thinking exactly. Tom Lees needs a wake up call after Friday evening.

If doing that in front of 20 odd thousand of your home fans and costing your team the game isn't a wake up call, I don't know what it. 

He will never make a error like that again.

Guest Bulgaria

My guess is that Hutchinson is on an appearance type wage structure, same as Boyd, Jones and Westwood, hence we ain't gonna see much of them anytime soon.

I've also no doubt Sam had his balls roasted by the management for his display at Brentford.

Edited by Bulgaria

52 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If doing that in front of 20 odd thousand of your home fans and costing your team the game isn't a wake up call, I don't know what it. 

He will never make a error like that again.

Wasn’t just the error for the goal.

At the moment he seems to freeze when trying to play the ball out from defence.

Other players have been dropped for being unable or unwilling to play the way the manager wants.

Don’t see why Tom should be different if Jos is being consistent in his approach.

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

The reason hutchinson isn’t in the squad is because he’s finished .

Cruel, but unfortunately true. He's always been injury prone, but recently even when he's been fit he's struggled. Although he's been a great servant to the club and I'll remember him fondly, his time is up and he needs to be let go when his contract runs out. We need to be looking beyond Hutch, and we might as well start now.

4 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Cruel, but unfortunately true. He's always been injury prone, but recently even when he's been fit he's struggled. Although he's been a great servant to the club and I'll remember him fondly, his time is up and he needs to be let go when his contract runs out. We need to be looking beyond Hutch, and we might as well start now.

It’s not cruel though is it , he’s dead wood, squad clutter, whatever you want to call it. The reason why teams like the pigs will finish above us is because they have hungry, fit players and a settled side. No team In the country carries this much rubbish . Lee , abdi , Jones , Matias , hooper, hutchinson , Boyd the list goes on. All either crocks or past it . 

9 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Wasn’t just the error for the goal.

At the moment he seems to freeze when trying to play the ball out from defence.

Other players have been dropped for being unable or unwilling to play the way the manager wants.

Don’t see why Tom should be different if Jos is being consistent in his approach.

It's a bit like not dropping Dawson for flapping at every cross. Will do other things the manager likes.

Will be amazed if he is dropped.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

It's a bit like not dropping Dawson for flapping at every cross. Will do other things the manager likes.

Will be amazed if he is dropped.

Me too, but his Friday performance was the worst amongst a very poor defence. 

Seems the way he is being expected to play has sapped his confidence.

I just feel we as supporters should not be harping on about Dawson and the other youngsters and letting off the experienced/popular players lightly. They are the ones who should be setting the standards, especially the skipper.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Owls2k said:

The last time Hutch started a league game it was probably Wednesday's worst performance in 2 years, where he unbelievably and needlessly threw a Brentford player to the floor on the corner of the box to give away a penalty. He and other seniors were then rightly publicly called out by the manager for their terrible performances and since then without him we've lost 2 out of 10 league matches, winning 5 of them.

If he is fit and he isn't playing maybe it is more down to him? 

Like I say, short memories.

6 hours ago, Animis said:

I keep hearing this argument and this may be the case, but surely the club want to be promoted and need to pick the best team, with the players available.

The league this year is open - we could get a play off place and possibly sneak in. 

Are we really writing this season off because we want to experiment with players/formations for next season?

Has DC given the green light to this?

Not sure about dc giving the green light or not, all we can do with what little information we're privy to is speculate really. What we do know is hutch, abdi, Jones, Boyd, hooper and now winnall have all seemed fit enough to play an odd game for the dev squad, then promptly disappeared again, well in hoppers case gone wandering off playing golf, add Westwood who's also seemingly fit, but isn't in contention too.