Sam Hutchinson

like a lot of the so called senior pros - he's disappeared. 

He has no sale value and will only drain the limited funds until he's out of contract like the rest of them.

If we had rid of him, Abdi, David Jones, Boyd and Westwood we could strengthen the team in January and push on for a play off challenge - this ain't going to happen is it?

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Normally I'd agree. Been banging on since DC 'Year One' about that.

But....if we're going to play 3 at the back he has to be a shout for the RCB position too. Especially as that seems to be the position  who keeps being tasked the ball to start things moving.

I think we should revert to a back 4 for many reasons but the main issue is that our centre halves aren’t good enough on the ball to play out from the back and drive forward. The pigs showed last night, whilst they lost, how to play that system. 

I would like to go 4-3-3 and that would help Lees and Palmer. I would then have a defensive midfielder in the team and that would be either Hutch or Joey.

If we continue with 3 centre halves and I hope we don’t, then Id agree that Hutch would be a better shout at RCB than Lees as he would be more comfortable bringing the ball out from the back. However, you are dropping a stalwart in Lees. Tom Lees, whilst basic, is a very, very good defender in this league. We all know he is better in a back 4 and with a captain next to him.

21 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Is he fit ?...…………...cus if he is and he is being ignored then it`s a situation that needs to change very quickly off the back of some of the displays Friday night , and anyone saying he shouldn`t be part of the squad and questioning what he offers must have VERY short memories.

The last time Hutch started a league game it was probably Wednesday's worst performance in 2 years, where he unbelievably and needlessly threw a Brentford player to the floor on the corner of the box to give away a penalty. He and other seniors were then rightly publicly called out by the manager for their terrible performances and since then without him we've lost 2 out of 10 league matches, winning 5 of them.

If he is fit and he isn't playing maybe it is more down to him? 

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

I know he didn’t. He did play in the match before though. Why do you think he played in that match if he won’t be considered for the first team? No sign of Jones, Boyd, Westwood getting games (in a very threadbare squad).

Perhaps he is in the plans. I would have expected him to play as Winnall did yesterday. More likely, another injury? 

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Normally I'd agree. Been banging on since DC 'Year One' about that.

But....if we're going to play 3 at the back he has to be a shout for the RCB position too. Especially as that seems to be the position  who keeps being tasked the ball to start things moving.

I'm not sure thats by our design. Oppo managers just need to scout 15 mins of any one of our game to see that Tom Lees is not comfortable on the ball and cannot pass. Just leave him free and force the other defenders / goalie to pass to him be closing him down and we become a much less effective team.

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

He has no sale value and will only drain the limited funds until he's out of contract like the rest of them.

If we had rid of him, Abdi, David Jones, Boyd and Westwood we could strengthen the team in January and push on for a play off challenge - this ain't going to happen is it?

I believe Hutch has another season beyond this one. Who issued that contract? Bonkers. 

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

The last time Hutch started a league game it was probably Wednesday's worst performance in 2 years, where he unbelievably and needlessly threw a Brentford player to the floor on the corner of the box to give away a penalty. He and other seniors were then rightly publicly called out by the manager for their terrible performances and since then without him we've lost 2 out of 10 league matches, winning 5 of them.

If he is fit and he isn't playing maybe it is more down to him? 

So Hutch and others are sidelined for one bad game, yet we are expected to persevere with others who have indifferent form or drop clangers, because they're young or nice guys?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Animis said:

Surely to "get rid" someone has to want to buy them?

Westwood aside, there is no-one going to be wanting to take on their current contracts out of that lot...

4 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think we should revert to a back 4 for many reasons but the main issue is that our centre halves aren’t good enough on the ball to play out from the back and drive forward. The pigs showed last night, whilst they lost, how to play that system. 

I would like to go 4-3-3 and that would help Lees and Palmer. I would then have a defensive midfielder in the team and that would be either Hutch or Joey.

If we continue with 3 centre halves and I hope we don’t, then Id agree that Hutch would be a better shout at RCB than Lees as he would be more comfortable bringing the ball out from the back. However, you are dropping a stalwart in Lees. Tom Lees, whilst basic, is a very, very good defender in this league. We all know he is better in a back 4 and with a captain next to him.

Agree. Remain convinced we'd have had a year in the Premier now had we gone 4-3-3 when we had prime Westwood, Loovens, Lee, etc.

If we play 3 at the back I wouldn't drop Lees. I'd play him plumb in the centre of the 3. Flanked by Hutch/Hector.....Pudil/Thorniley 

Remains our best header (for me). Despite a general dip in form.

6 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

I'm not sure thats by our design. Oppo managers just need to scout 15 mins of any one of our game to see that Tom Lees is not comfortable on the ball and cannot pass. Just leave him free and force the other defenders / goalie to pass to him be closing him down and we become a much less effective team.

Think we could negate this by playing in the middle of a 3 when we play that way.

4 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Perhaps he is in the plans. I would have expected him to play as Winnall did yesterday. More likely, another injury? 

If I was Hutch's manager, I would definitely give him a game in U23's, then hold him back and see how he copes in training, with hopefully no flair ups. Then put him back in, and monitor etc. Once he reaches a certain level of training / playing he can be considered for the first team again.

No more letting him declare himself fit, throwing him back in and him getting injured again.

Lets face it, his Knees are as fragile as biscuits and it maybe that he just cannot play at the Pro level anymore.

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Agree. Remain convinced we'd have had a year in the Premier now had we gone 4-3-3 when we had prime Westwood, Loovens, Lee, etc.

If we play 3 at the back I wouldn't drop Lees. I'd play him plumb in the centre of the 3. Flanked by Hutch/Hector.....Pudil/Thorniley 

Being brutally honest, if we are wanting to play out from the back we shouldn't really be playing Lees at all.

4 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Being brutally honest, if we are wanting to play out from the back we shouldn't really be playing Lees at all.

Bit harsh. 

It's quite easy to get others instigating the moves. 

I'll always believe there's a place for a header and kicker at the back,  whichever way you play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

There is an argument for that. I’d say overall that Lees is our best defender and I think we should revert to a back 4 and get an extra body in the middle of the park.

I don’t think we are good enough to play out from the back. If Hector and Hutch were playing in the back 3, possibly. Thorniley isn’t great either, but he is a good defender. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Bit harsh. 

I'll always believe there's a place for a header and kicker at the back,  whichever way you play.

The evidence shows otherwise.

Look at the second goal yesterday, ball at his feet, panicked (despite Palmer being wide open to his right) f'd up the back pass.

Rinse repeat.

12 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Tom Lees now just looks a mistake waiting to happen,not just Friday,but every game,needs the commanding Westwood behind him barking orders,as for Lees being captain,never see him speak to the other players during the game hardly

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Bit harsh. 

Also, why can't we have Centre halves who can do both, at least good enough to compete in the Champ. Like someone mentioned above, Sheff Utd have got them, so they do exist.

Edited by Last_Great_Hope

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I agree. It’s poor when fans see what system we should go with and there’s Carlos going with a 4-4-2 with winger pushed in and relying on his full backs for width. Bizarre!

I still think we are a 4-3-3 side and I’d like Jos to start thinking how to get the best out of our current crop of players rather than worrying about the opposition. I’m convinced a front 3 suits us with 2 players flanking a central striker and Id like to see Bannan and Onomah in the engine room with a defensive player behind. Play to your strengths and see where it takes you! This league is open this year and that’s evident from the results yesterday. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

There is an argument for that. I’d say overall that Lees is our best defender and I think we should revert to a back 4 and get an extra body in the middle of the park.

I don’t think we are good enough to play out from the back. If Hector and Hutch were playing in the back 3, possibly. Thorniley isn’t great either, but he is a good defender. 

agree very worrying the way we play out .sloppy,is an understatement

1 minute ago, Animis said:

So Hutch and others are sidelined for one bad game, yet we are expected to persevere with others who have indifferent form or drop clangers, because they're young or nice guys?

Not at all, and don't purposely misinterpret what I am saying. No player's position should be safe. 

However if a player is pulled out of the side due to a poor performance (and a petulant act re: the penalty) then the manager expects a reaction. If a player of Hutch's experience and quality cannot get back into the team when fit then the question you have to ask is with him. 

Hutch has started 4 matches this season, we won none and lost 2. Since the Brentford game we've lost the same number and won 5, a stark and undeniable improvement in results and performances. 

Wednesday fans seem to have an obsession with the players of two years ago who have consistently let us down with poor performances in more recent times, whilst being quick to lump blame on inexperienced players trying to find their feet in the division, it is actually quite bizarre.