Dawson slagging after last night

14 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

What did he do wrong last night because in my eyes both of those goals I could have scored.

Exactly.

Both goals came from BASIC errors by the central defenders, leaving him isolated .

From being a young child, in the distant past, through the teenage years playing with and against ex pro's, I was told NEVER LET THE BALL BOUNCE IN FRONT OF YOU. The 1st goal.

IF IN DOUBT KICK IT OUT, for the 2nd goal.

Defenders today seem to have had their defensive instincts coached out of them.

13 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Proof in the pudding of the unfairness of it all is..

Theres more threads today about Dawson...than there is about Lees and Thornily....

Where did the fault lie last night...?

Agreed 

Dawson is this months Palmer, Fox Nuhiu ..................insert your own prejudice 

He wasn't brilliant by any means but cost us nothing against Boro 

His playing it short is Jos' fault its quite obviously instructions 

Jos needs to get it through his skull that Lees is not a ball playing centre half and ditch this dangerous tactic 

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

How could he possibly have come out far enough to sufficiently narrow the angle to block all of the goal in that situation?

if people are honestly going to slag Dawson off for that goal the lad has no hope at this club.

its absolutely ridiculous the level of stick he’s getting from people whom quite frankly, don’t know what they’re talking about.

not saying he could have just replying to your point of not matter where you stand you always leave part of your goal open.

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

not saying he could have just replying to your point of not matter where you stand you always leave part of your goal open.

It’s got to the point on Owlstalk now where you have to qualify everything from absolute pedants.

I apologise. When talking about Dawson’s positioning on the first Middlesbrough goal I should have been clearer.

How can a goalkeeper possibly get his positioning such to cover all of the goal unless of course:-

a.) The ball is at a sufficiently wide angle that the goalkeeper standing at his near post covers all of the goal.

b.) The attacker being A, the ball being B, the goalkeeper being C and the goal being D.  C is close enough to A that A can see none of D and therefore B cannot directly pass through C to reach D.

DiSCLAIMER

Clause A and B do not take account of a player in scenario A or B who can curl the ball inside the backpost in scenario A or either post in Scenario B.

Nor do they take any account that in scenario B , A may find it easy to go around C and put it into an empty D.

Freak weather conditions, the goalkeeper falling over or acts of God are not taken account of in the above.

No liability can be taken for any other unlikely or improbable scenario that I have missed.

• Haha 2

I’m not saying he won’t be a great goalkeeper in the future. However, he doesn’t fill me with much confidence at this moment. He doesn’t command his box or the defence and flaps on crosses. You can’t blame him for the goals against BORO. Jos is sticking with him so there’s no point in moaning! I just wish we had a experienced Championship keeper to push him  :huh:

14 hours ago, Beany71 said:

Shot stopping is what most goalkeepers are good at. What makes a great keeper in my opinion is one that can command his area and can take the ball. This takes so much pressure of the defence. He reminds me is Chris woods from years ago. Still don't agree with slating him at the match.

Commanding the area and distribution are definitely what he has to work on, but they are also Westwood's worst attributes. 

One thing that people don't seem to be addressing is the fact that we now play out from the back unequivocally, so our current goalkeeper has far more on his plate than Westwood ever did, a goalkeeper under Jos now has to be involved in possession and with beating the initial press. There's no doubt Westwood is the better goalie but some understanding from our fans and realisation that Westwood isn't coming back in would work wonders for the kid's confidence. 

He’s not as good as Westwood, and it makes no sense whatsoever not to play your best keeper when your defence is disorganised and lacking confidence, you can’t keep clean sheets, and your best keeper is fit, raring to go, and being paid well to do nowt.

Thought I’d summarise the thread for anyone not wanting to read hundreds of posts on this matter.

Nothing to do with slagging a good young keeper. Nobody is out to attack Dawson as such, just not the best keeper at the club. This is what people are pointing out. Maybe the manager should be looking to protect him for a while, so he can come back stronger.

Does point out concerns with the manager though. He should be looking to address the problem we have with conceding goals, that leads to dropping points, that leads to us being outside the top 6, with teams like Blackburn and Wigan above us.

He seems not to be able to, or want to, address the defensive vulnerabilities we have, it’s one or the other. We do that, and we pick up more points, and could make promotion a possibility.

Edited by theowlsman
  • Thanks 1

Once you become a scapegoat it becomes difficult to shake it off (unless you’re putting in world class performances every week). People will scrutinise and watch you even more carefully and find fault with near enough anything 

Dawson deserves no abuse after Friday night, I can’t remember him doing anything wrong. But now he’s got scapegoat status people will pick out one punch he did in the 17th min or something, when he should have caught. They’ll then use this as ammunition and relate it back to all the dodgy moments he’s had so far to support their argument 

How it goes on here unfortunately 

Edited by FreshOwl

1 hour ago, meggoisgod said:

Dawson has done OK but doesn't fill me with confidence. The fact that we a still to keep a clean sheet does suggest a change may be necessary

he only as to fill jos with confidence and it seems he does which suggests  that a change wont be coming anytime soon . ……...

15 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

He’s not as good as Westwood, and it makes no sense whatsoever not to play your best keeper when your defence is disorganised and lacking confidence, you can’t keep clean sheets, and your best keeper is fit, raring to go, and being paid well to do nowt.

Thought I’d summarise the thread for anyone not wanting to read hundreds of posts on this matter.

Nothing to do with slagging a good young keeper. Nobody is out to attack Dawson as such, just not the best keeper at the club. This is what people are pointing out. Maybe the manager should be looking to protect him for a while, so he can come back stronger.

Does point out concerns with the manager though. He should be looking to address the problem we have with conceding goals, that leads to dropping points, that leads to us being outside the top 6, with teams like Blackburn and Wigan above us.

He seems not to be able to, or want to, address the defensive vulnerabilities we have, it’s one or the other. We do that, and we pick up more points, and could make promotion a possibility.

:stuwinky:

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

It’s got to the point on Owlstalk now where you have to qualify everything from absolute pedants.

I apologise. When talking about Dawson’s positioning on the first Middlesbrough goal I should have been clearer.

How can a goalkeeper possibly get his positioning such to cover all of the goal unless of course:-

a.) The ball is at a sufficiently wide angle that the goalkeeper standing at his near post covers all of the goal.

b.) The attacker being A, the ball being B, the goalkeeper being C and the goal being D.  C is close enough to A that A can see none of D and therefore B cannot directly pass through C to reach D.

DiSCLAIMER

Clause A and B do not take account of a player in scenario A or B who can curl the ball inside the backpost in scenario A or either post in Scenario B.

Nor do they take any account that in scenario B , A may find it easy to go around C and put it into an empty D.

Freak weather conditions, the goalkeeper falling over or acts of God are not taken account of in the above.

No liability can be taken for any other unlikely or improbable scenario that I have missed.

Dawson's positioning for that was fine nothing else he could have done. 

And it the majority of cases it is impossible for a goal keeper to narrow the angle enough to cover all of his goal.

It's been stated on different threads and by different posters that Westwood will never play for this club again,why I have no idea ,am not ITK ,but for fooks sake lets just get behind our young keeper and the manger and team,he might be the best goalie in the club,but he isn't flavour of the month,so let's give it a bloody rest its boring.

UTO

• Like 2

18 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Proof in the pudding of the unfairness of it all is..

Theres more threads today about Dawson...than there is about Lees and Thornily....

Where did the fault lie last night...?

Who in the squad do we have to replace Lees and Thorniley though? There's a very good and once loyal servant to the club fit enough to replace Dawson, whereas our defenders aren't really under threat of being replaced as there's not much quality in back up.