Dawson slagging after last night

2 hours ago, Beany71 said:

Shot stopping is what most goalkeepers are good at. What makes a great keeper in my opinion is one that can command his area and can take the ball. This takes so much pressure of the defence. He reminds me is Chris woods from years ago. Still don't agree with slating him at the match.

Spot on pal.

Weaver needs to earn his coin and concentrate on getting Dawsons confidence up to the point where he commands his area, not freezes, talks to and directs his defence and comes and collects balls from set pieces.

He's a big young lad FFS and with the right direction I'm sure he'll make the grade.

But he also needs confidence in his defenders and currently their performances are lacklustre, along with others.

Also remember we gifted it last night and they are top of the league, not that it excuses an under par performance BUT it's not all doom and gloom.

Don't think he warrants a slating for last night, how's that going to build his confidence.

14 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

What a bizarre thought process.

i have yet to see a goalkeeper that can cover the entire goal.

His positioning was perfect.

if he’d have stood further to his right he’d have been exposed at his near post.

Nearly as bizarre as your comment, I'm an ex keeper myself and played at a very high standard. If your positioning is perfect then you save it, if your a fraction out then you run the risk of being beaten and are relying on reflexes.

I'm not saying he was at fault for it and I think most keepers would have struggled with it but to say his positioning is perfect isn't strictly true.

Just now, Blue and white said:

Nearly as bizarre as your comment, I'm an ex keeper myself and played at a very high standard. If your positioning is perfect then you save it, if your a fraction out then you run the risk of being beaten and are relying on reflexes.

I'm not saying he was at fault for it and I think most keepers would have struggled with it but to say his positioning is perfect isn't strictly true.

That’s not true.

You cannot Cover all of the goal regardless of positioning.

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

But he might be on slightly less massive wages if he's not getting a match day appearance bonus, clean sheet bonus and just getting a basic wage etc etc etc. ...

That sounds like an excellent way to run a football club... ffs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Please define "at a very high standard" for us

• Haha 1

Guest Grez Bez
23 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Who did you play for?

12 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Keeper should always be in charge of the 6yd box. Especially from post to post

Back in the day when there were 3-4 players in the area maybe - now there can be a dozen and many opponents will have a designated "blocker" and it's impossible for the keeper at times

It's such an outdated concept i don't know people still bang on about it tbh

6 minutes ago, scram said:

Back in the day when there were 3-4 players in the area maybe - now there can be a dozen and many opponents will have a designated "blocker" and it's impossible for the keeper at times

They still bang on because they are stuck in the 80's.....it's like the ones that quote Cloughy on the offside law and keep appealing for foul throws

29 minutes ago, scram said:

Whilst commanding 6 yard box might be a bit of over simplification, I'm not convinced it's that outdated. 

I love the idea of bringing through home grown talent and accept Westwood will never play for the club again. I've also tried to remain fairly dispassionate about Dawson, but as things stand, regardless of lack of clean sheets, he doesn't fill me with confidence and this must end up transmitting to the defence in front of him.

That said, I think we probably have to stick with him (don't think De Gea's first season was that great) and hope improvements will come over time.

8 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

When you come out and narrow the angle you can.

How could he possibly have come out far enough to sufficiently narrow the angle to block all of the goal in that situation?

if people are honestly going to slag Dawson off for that goal the lad has no hope at this club.

its absolutely ridiculous the level of stick he’s getting from people whom quite frankly, don’t know what they’re talking about.

• Like 1

In my circa 65 years support of the Owls I have never encountered so much hatred for a player. We’ve had three match betting scoundrels and a ref pushing nutter, all being given hero status, as against a young lad who is a lifelong supporter of the club, and is growing into the job, I wouldn’t blame him if he put in a transfer request, and I for one would applaud him if he kept a clean sheet whilst playing against the Owls.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ian said:

Randolf flapped at more last night than Dawson did

Carson very nearly cost Derby 2 points tonight by dropping a very simple catch

All keepers make, in hindsight, wrong decisions...all keepers make mistakes

apart from Westwood obviously who in many eyes is some sort of gene therapy combination result from Banks, Yashin and Shilton

Would love to see that in a ""Question of Sport" 3 faces thingymajig....

Got to be banks eye........s

Shiltons bare backside in a jag 

lol

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

How could he possibly have come out far enough to sufficiently narrow the angle to block all of the goal in that situation?

if people are honestly going to slag Dawson off for that goal the lad has no hope at this club.

its absolutely ridiculous the level of stick he’s getting from children whom quite frankly, don’t know what they’re talking about.

They've got a whole week to get their homework assignments in though...........:ph34r:

• Haha 3