Dawson slagging after last night

Shot stopping is what most goalkeepers are good at. What makes a great keeper in my opinion is one that can command his area and can take the ball. This takes so much pressure of the defence. He reminds me is Chris woods from years ago. Still don't agree with slating him at the match.

• Thanks 1

Nothing particularly wrong but I think it's the fact he doesn't seem to be learning from previous shortcomings. For example not commanding his area and catching crosses. And also his thinking process in quickly turning defence into attack. 

A number of times reach or someone would sprint clear down the line, meanwhile Dawson's still thinking about the save he just made and not the next ball.

4 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I don't think anybody is saying this as a result of last night

Its more about the season as a whole

It's just that the Dawson needs dropping thread come after every defeat...

4 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

But carry on being drama queens about it

To be honest I think the drama Queens are the ones wanting the keeper dropping every time a centre half drops a bòllock. 

12 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I don't think anybody is saying this as a result of last night

Its more about the season as a whole

But carry on being drama queens about it

Other than the goal at Wigan, which goals do you think he was at fault for?

He has one of the best save percentages in the division.

its not his fault that he is clearly under instruction to play it short at every opportunity.

Guest LittleG

Even the most hardened of Dawson admirers have got to admit his handling/punching has been iffy to say the least this season. That's what worries people. We know hes a young lad but sometimes it gets to the stage where they have to be taken out of the limelight to protect them; this could apply to Penney also. The problem we face is that our squad is so threadbare we haven't got many options

5 minutes ago, victorturner said:

I agree. From a narrowish angle. What could have been done to narrow it further? Canmmie stationary and watching it go inside the post. He is good but still learning. 

Watch it again and pause it at every frame.

At the point of contact, Dawson’s positioning was perfect.

The only place he was getting beaten was a yard inside his back stick.  It went within two inches of the back post, low and hard.

if he’d have saved that it would have been an absolute wonder save.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

The club just need to come out and say Westwood is leaving in January, there still some weirdos who seem to think he will be recalled to the team if they hound our brightest keeper prospect in year's. 

Leave it. It's like watching an hamster on a wheel and getting nowhere. KW is a dead subject. 

Very good shot stopper but can’t catch a cold. There is a huge development for him on dealing with crosses, high balls and commanding his area. It’s definitely a problem at the moment and it needs addressing in training. 

He wasnt at fault for our 2 goals last night, however the above issues have been evident all season in my opinion.

It doesn't help that people are expecting instant improvement on the areas of his game that definitely need work.

It's not going to be a quick process to change that area of his game. In might take most of this season, and guess what that will be the huge bonus of having a year in the first team now.

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

He was not responsible for the goals, but I suggest you watch the game again because he didn’t play well, seemed somewhat edgy. 

The way that defence played last night would have made any keeper edgy.

They were shockingly bad, constantly passing back and putting him under pressure rather than taking responsibility to clear their lines.

Two schoolboy errors lost that game, neither of them caused by Dawson.

Palmer took most of the first half before he managed to pass to a team mate.

Penney kept getting caught in possession

Lees looked terrified with the ball at his feet.....and that supposed backpass.

Thornilly had a reasonable game but inexplicably lost possession after letting a high ball bounce in front of him for the first goal.

I’ll excuse Hector because he was clearly instructed to push up into midfield.

In short please don’t single out a promising young keeper for a situation completely outside his control.

• Like 1

Randolf flapped at more last night than Dawson did

Carson very nearly cost Derby 2 points tonight by dropping a very simple catch

All keepers make, in hindsight, wrong decisions...all keepers make mistakes

apart from Westwood obviously who in many eyes is some sort of gene therapy combination result from Banks, Yashin and Shilton

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

It's fairly obvious why our crocked 33 year old keeper on massive wages isn't playing when we have a very highly rated prospect in net isn't it?

Not when the chairman is saying that we need promotion this season or we're buggered it isn't 

2 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Watch it again and pause it at every frame.

At the point of contact, Dawson’s positioning was perfect.

The only place he was getting beaten was a yard inside his back stick.  It went within two inches of the back post, low and hard.

if he’d have saved that it would have been an absolute wonder save.

Evidently not or else it wouldn't have gone in.