Do we really need Joey.

He’s improved but you don’t see him involved enough for me (and no, its not that I’m not noticing him).

Semedo was involved all the time and far more effective at the job. As I said, hes ok when in the game but we need a lot more from him (imo)

24 minutes ago, BIG D said:

He’s improved but you don’t see him involved enough for me (and no, its not that I’m not noticing him).

Semedo was involved all the time and far more effective at the job. As I said, hes ok when in the game but we need a lot more from him (imo)

Agree with this entirely

Currently he averages about 38 passes per game (90 minutes), which is the same as Thorniley and about 10 behind Onomah and about 30 behind Bannan. Joey's proven his defensive work is absolutely fine, equally his on-the-ball possession work (ie keeping possession and things "ticking over") is also fine. He now needs to work on commanding the ball more. A decent Champ player in his sort of role will do what he's doing now. A good/very good one will consistently receive and move the ball on in that section of the pitch between the midfield and defence and get it to our more creative deep-lying players in the process. If we can get him doing that, we should see our possession % going up and hopefully an increase in attacking moves.

He's got up to speed with the Champ defensively, now he needs to do so (limitedly) offensively. Have every confidence he'll be able to do so (as he's shown the regular boo-boys that he's alright actually), but I think if he wants to take his game to the "next level" in the Championship, that's got to be the main focus of his improvement next. 

21 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Should always be 3 in the middle. Jos does baffle me a lot of the time. 

Have another look at the Boro game.

Hector joined Bannan and Joey in the centre of midfield. 

Our defensive shape was consequently awful leaving it up to Lees and Thornilly to play out from the back.

They couldn’t play out long until Nuhiu arrived too late in the game.

13 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Having watched the game last night Onomah for Penney or Joao would have improved us.

Pelupessey was one of our best players, first half in particular.

In hindsight you are correct but before a ball was kicked what would have been your thoughts.

14 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I would start Palmer Lees Hector with either Thornily or Penney depending on the opposition .

Last night I would have started Thornily, in less attritional games Penney.

Interesting i agree with Palmer as think you need good defenders if going 4-3-3. I would go with Hector and Thorniley in centre think it offers better balance. Looking at Hector and Lees think neither could play left sided centre half effectively. I would use Penney at left back as his pace his useful same as Palmers in defence. Think a more straightforward role in this area suits him best. Some of his best work has been defensive and do not go with this idea he is more of a forward. his efforts in that role have not been as convincing as you attract a marker and attacking becomings a lot more difficult than to occasional sortee from the defence.

Personally would prefer 4-3-3 and think we have personnel to make it work absence of both FF and Matias mean we have lack of pace in front line. Think Fletch and Reach done enough to guarantee place and Joao is certainly best from the bench. Nuhiu could be used where opposition defence requires that tye of player.

Does what it says on the tin.

"Win it and give it"

Players like this are vital to allow your flair players the licence to do what they do best.                              

Pelupessy 

Onomah                       Bannan 

Reach                                               Forestieri 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quist said:

In hindsight you are correct but before a ball was kicked what would have been your thoughts.

I've wanted all 3 of them in for a number of weeks now

Irrelevant anyway as Jos didn't deem him 100% to start 

Edited by Ash76

I’d like us to try and be a bit more adventurous and play Bannan in the middle in a quarter back type role with Onomah and Reach either side. Bannan is the player that makes us tick and this would be a great position from which he could dictate play.

8 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Agree with this entirely

Currently he averages about 38 passes per game (90 minutes), which is the same as Thorniley and about 10 behind Onomah and about 30 behind Bannan. Joey's proven his defensive work is absolutely fine, equally his on-the-ball possession work (ie keeping possession and things "ticking over") is also fine. He now needs to work on commanding the ball more. A decent Champ player in his sort of role will do what he's doing now. A good/very good one will consistently receive and move the ball on in that section of the pitch between the midfield and defence and get it to our more creative deep-lying players in the process. If we can get him doing that, we should see our possession % going up and hopefully an increase in attacking moves.

He's got up to speed with the Champ defensively, now he needs to do so (limitedly) offensively. Have every confidence he'll be able to do so (as he's shown the regular boo-boys that he's alright actually), but I think if he wants to take his game to the "next level" in the Championship, that's got to be the main focus of his improvement next. 

So true.

But I think that lot of it is down to Bannan dropping far to deep to get on the ball.

Ideally I would want  Joey to get on the ball in that area, giving option for our defenders to play from the back and involving Bannan bit further up the pitch. If he is good enough on the ball to play this way is to be seen, but right now he is doing only defensive part of his role, and it needs to change.

On 20/10/2018 at 12:32, NYowl said:

Firstly this is not a post slagging Joey off, I think he has been very good value for money.

My thoughts are do we really need to play a holding midfeilder when we play with 3 central defenders.  Definately need holding player when playing a back 4 or back 3 where you have attacking wingbacks.

The midfield looked its best all season against WBA where Onomah was receiving the ball from defence and linking with Bannan and the attack. To get Onomah in the team we either drop one of the available forwards who all seem to work best in a front 3. Revert to a back 4 which has been problematic for us, or drop a midfield player.

I think with Hector showing that he is comfortable moving between defence and midfield could allow us to swap Joey with Onomah.

Firstly this is not a post slagging Joey off, I think he has been very good value for money.

My thoughts are do we really need to play a holding midfeilder when we play with 3 central defenders.  Definately need holding player when playing a back 4 or back 3 where you have attacking wingbacks.

The midfield looked its best all season against WBA where Onomah was receiving the ball from defence and linking with Bannan and the attack. To get Onomah in the team we either drop one of the available forwards who all seem to work best in a front 3. Revert to a back 4 which has been problematic for us, or drop a midfield player.

I think with Hector showing that he is comfortable moving between defence and midfield could allow us to swap Joey with Onomah.

Bannan didn’t play he had a 1 match ban

Joeys the best we've got at the moment .. still needs to show a bit more aggression but the issue with him is that he's always fit and available whereas our other CDM is struggling for fitness all the time ...

what about having Onomah in and putting Bannan in the front 3? (obviously would mean sacrificing someone)

I like Joey, he’s the glue that holds things together. Certainly don’t see him as an out and out defensive midfielder. When Hector was pushed into midfield against Boro, he moved over towards the right In fact we ended up playing the dreaded hybrid 4-4-2 system, with Reach practically operating as a left winger

Onomah is only on loan and has only played about 3 games so yes

13 hours ago, NYowl said:

You are absolutely correct my mistake getting the WBA and Bristol gains mixed up. As someone else has commented maybe the title should be do we really need Bannan.

I’m a huge bannan fan but I went to the WBA game and have to say the midfield looked the best it has all season. Onomah was going beyond the forwards a bit keiren Lee-esque if I dare say it