Do we really need Joey.

He’s a model pro as well is Joey, seems to take his job very seriously and I’ve caught him many times gobbing at the ref , as well as his ecstatic celebrations when we score 

Bannan as well was on peak gobbing form last night, had me creasing lol always looks so angry 

Edited by FreshOwl

8 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Onomah took a knock away on international duty, dunno how many times this has to be said tbh 

He also had double vision when he got hit in the face against WBA. Hence why he went off. However fans slatered Jos for the substitution.

I’ve been a critic of him but recently I think he’s been excellent.

i don’t like jos tactics- were to exposed without the pace to cover which is why we let so many goals in.

joey stems the tide as best he can

5 minutes ago, theoldtimer said:

I rate Joey, a bargain like Winnall. I'd prefer us to play three in the centre: Bannon, Joey, and Onomah, rather than playing three centerbacks.

This. It's what we did against Millwall, Ipswich and Reading. Would like us to go back to it.

Joeys job should just be to protect the back four. Problem is in a 2 he has to do a bit more, but he hasn't really got the ability to play passes and go forward. So he ends up just giving it to Bannan who ends up taking too much on.

It has to be a midfield three of Onomah- Pelupessy- Bannan for me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This. It's what we did against Millwall, Ipswich and Reading. Would like us to go back to it.

Joeys job should just be to protect the back four. Problem is in a 2 he has to do a bit more, but he hasn't really got the ability to play passes and go forward. So he ends up just giving it to Bannan who ends up taking too much on.

It has to be a midfield three of Onomah- Pelupessy- Bannan for me. 

Why we ended up with hector in midfield and Onomah on the bench last night is beyond me - especially with likes of besic and forshaw in middle of park.

dont rate jos to be honest 

I'm more impressed with Joey with each passing game. 

He has been playing well recently and I thought he had a good game last night. 

I think a three of him, Bannan and Onomah is the way forward. 

• Like 2

I like Jos, but I still struggle to understand what we are trying to do. 

Systems, style of play...it all seems a bit random, or we change our approach depending on the opposition. 

If so, I get it (to an extent), but it would be nice to see us play with a defined style and identity. 

Watching us this season can be somewhat bewildering, as there are things to admire (the effort, the application is all there), but there are moments of such naivety.  

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Why we ended up with hector in midfield and Onomah on the bench last night is beyond me - especially with likes of besic and forshaw in middle of park.

Didnt see Forshaw out there,Howson was in the middle,pretty sure forshaw played here a couple of weeks back though,could be his ghost still haunting us.

Take your point about Ono,hes a VERY clever footballer,hes got tremendous awareness,and picks out clinical passes,bloody good footballer,alas spurs rate him highly too which is a massive shame

7 hours ago, ka58 said:

If you'd bothered to read the thread, it has been said twice that Onomah was injured. 3/10, must try harder.

As for whether we need Joey if we're playing with a back 3... I think if you've got someone like Lees in the middle of that back 3 (ie no confidence on the ball and weak at stepping up into midfield) it's a no-brainer brainer yes. When you've got someone like Hector who has far more confidence in doing that, having Joey in front of him is just asking for congestion in that middle third. My Joey love-in may be strong, but I think in that sort of instance you're better off having someone more positive in there like Onomah. 

Agree with the sentiment of others in the thread though... back 4 with Joey in the middle and just behind two more positive midfielders... ideally two that are full of energy. Onomah and Bannan fit the bill for me. Joey is very much "win the ball back, conservative pass to keep possession" which I guess every team needs but it can also stifle the tempo of your own game to all hell. Vital that the passing options can be more positive. With 3 CB's, two of whom go wide, and wingbacks that would be pushing on... potential passing lanes get cut out and seem almost inevitable that Joey will be passing to a CB that's wide. Back four and all of a sudden you can have a sideways pass to a fullback that's beginning to stride forward and be involved in that phase of play... equally two midfielder options (Bannan and Onomah) who are far more positive as opposed to Bannan, and Reach who seems to be instructed to meander around in an undefined position that seems to repel the ball. 

Maybe the sort of thing that works better on paper than in practice, but eh

Edited by StudentOwl

Interesting that most on here are coming round to the fact that we need to drop 3 centre halves and go with 3 in the middle.

Ive been saying it all season. We need to play a variation of 4-3-3. Joey/Hutch defensive midfield and Bannan and Onomah playing ahead. We would then have the right balance in there and we should be able to have more control in games.

Having 2 centre halves will suit Lees. If you play 3 centre halves, you need to be comfortable in possession and we are not good at all in that department. Watch the grunters last night - all 3 of theirs are good on the ball and they drive forward with it. Moreover, Palmer is a full back and not a wing back.

Ideally, moving forward, Id like to see Reach and FF supporting a central striker which at the moment is either Dave or Fletch. Joao has recently shown he is not strong enough to play that central role and he is better in the wide role running from deep.

Finally, whilst Jos is doing a good job and we are all behind him, I’d like to see him get this system nailed and set his team out on the front foot instead of worrying about the opposition. Most teams have an identity in this league. We haven’t an identity. We are a right mish mash and I think this is more down to us trying to negate our opponents attacking strengths rather than us having a clear style of play. When you have players like Bannan, Reach and FF in your team along with some others, you should be able to have some confidence that you can go out and win games.

39 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

If you'd bothered to read the thread, it has been said twice that Onomah was injured. 3/10, must try harder.

As for whether we need Joey if we're playing with a back 3... I think if you've got someone like Lees in the middle of that back 3 (ie no confidence on the ball and weak at stepping up into midfield) it's a no-brainer brainer yes. When you've got someone like Hector who has far more confidence in doing that, having Joey in front of him is just asking for congestion in that middle third. My Joey love-in may be strong, but I think in that sort of instance you're better off having someone more positive in there like Onomah. 

Agree with the sentiment of others in the thread though... back 4 with Joey in the middle and just behind two more positive midfielders... ideally two that are full of energy. Onomah and Bannan fit the bill for me. Joey is very much "win the ball back, conservative pass to keep possession" which I guess every team needs but it can also stifle the tempo of your own game to all hell. Vital that the passing options can be more positive. With 3 CB's, two of whom go wide, and wingbacks that would be pushing on... potential passing lanes get cut out and seem almost inevitable that Joey will be passing to a CB that's wide. Back four and all of a sudden you can have a sideways pass to a fullback that's beginning to stride forward and be involved in that phase of play... equally two midfielder options (Bannan and Onomah) who are far more positive as opposed to Bannan, and Reach who seems to be instructed to meander around in an undefined position that seems to repel the ball. 

Maybe the sort of thing that works better on paper than in practice, but eh

Well put regarding playing Joey.

18 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Joey brings th3 best out of Bannan. He does the dirty work which enables Bazza to dictate the game..Joey is vital to us. 

18 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Joey brings th3 best out of Bannan. He does the dirty work which enables Bazza to dictate the game..Joey is vital to us. 

He doubles Bannans workload, as soon as Bannan gives him the ball he gives it straight back..never tries to create or spread a pass, cant argue about his enthusiasm but we need better.