Do we really need Joey.

8 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

At Bristol City Onomah was excellent,he looked a quality player much like a young fit Hutchinson.

Yet against Boro he is sat on the bench for the full 90 min.

Strange very strange, if Jos has one big failing it’s not making changes to win a game..

It was the same at Forest.

Onomah took a knock away on international duty, dunno how many times this has to be said tbh 

10 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Onomah took a knock away on international duty, dunno how many times this has to be said tbh 

I did not Know he was injured.

Still that’s got to be the plan of the weekend, not fit enough to play so let’s sit him on the bench.

Next week we should sit Hooper, Abdi and Hutchinson on the bench as part of their rehabilitation in the hope of jogging their memory that they are still being paid as a professional footballer. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

I did not Know he was injured.

Still that’s got to be the plan of the weekend, not fit enough to play so let’s sit him on the bench.

Next week we should sit Hooper, Abdi and Hutchinson on the bench as part of their rehabilitation in the hope of jogging their memory that they are still being paid as a professional footballer. 

Touché lol 

Thought Joey battled as best he could last night. Seemed to get his toe on things even when he got outmuscled.  

I do prefer Onomah, but understand resting him yesterday. 

I think our whole team are lacking physically - maybe that the plan we need to follow 

In my eyes Jos is making things far too complicated for the players  and sometimes shows a frightening level of naivety which doesn’t help one bit.

Onomah is a proper midfielder , does a bit of everything and would have brought something we didn’t have last night. Ball retention.

It is obvious our midfield should be Joey, Bannan and Onomah in a three with Reach playing wide.

Play 433 every game , let the players do their jobs

33 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

We needed him last night 

He had a good game and imo is becoming more important to us as the season progresses

he's coming on similar to the way Lopez grew into it the other year, although it seems his job is a more defensive one, thought he had his best game for us last night

3 hours ago, oldishowl said:

In my eyes Jos is making things far too complicated for the players  and sometimes shows a frightening level of naivety which doesn’t help one bit.

Onomah is a proper midfielder , does a bit of everything and would have brought something we didn’t have last night. Ball retention.

It is obvious our midfield should be Joey, Bannan and Onomah in a three with Reach playing wide.

Play 433 every game , let the players do their jobs

Genuine question who would you have in back 4?

4 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Thought Joey battled as best he could last night. Seemed to get his toe on things even when he got outmuscled.  

I do prefer Onomah, but understand resting him yesterday. 

I think our whole team are lacking physically - maybe that the plan we need to follow 

I think if Onomah played it would be at expense of Bannan in last nights team. They were too strong and athletic for BB to be at his best. When we play against physical opposition with quick athletic midfielders he is not at his best.

7 hours ago, BD2OWL said:

Do we play with 3 centre backs though? 

There are 3 on the pitch but Hector seems to be playing more as CDM and JP along side him. 

Either way it’s a very negative way to play especially at home, but we were told it wouldn’t be pretty under Jos. 

If if you’re going to play that way, then you need to be good on the counter, to be good on the counter you need pace. 

Barry Bannan was probably the quickest player on the pitch last night in a Wednesday shirt. 

I had people sat behind me last night slagging Bannan off for his performance and attitude.  I honestly think we have the thickest fans I've ever met. 

25 minutes ago, Quist said:

Genuine question who would you have in back 4?

I would start Palmer Lees Hector with either Thornily or Penney depending on the opposition .

Last night I would have started Thornily, in less attritional games Penney.

Problem is that with Bannan dropping so deep for the ball, Pelupessy playing so deep we are often left with 7 outfild players no further then 30 yards from our goal, and other 3 isolated high up the pitch making it hard to create anything, and ball getting back to our 3'rth of the pitch quickly.

I think a holding midfielder is one of the most under rated positions on the team! Any top team always has one. And to be fair to Joey he’s been brilliant for what we paid.

as for Jos he has made 3 signings and for me they’ve all been brilliant and what we needed! Due to an embargo he has had his hands tied and probably wanted to sign players elsewhere! I’ll judge him fully when he has his own squad of players. However the fact he has a load of kids and Carlos’ cast offs getting us clutching at the play offs I definitely am not going to criticise. 

Guest Grez Bez

He played well on Friday and is very good defensively but if you play Hector in front of the defence then it makes his position redundant.

The problem is that Jos like to change the formation just before a game like Friday.

51 minutes ago, Quist said:

I think if Onomah played it would be at expense of Bannan in last nights team. They were too strong and athletic for BB to be at his best. When we play against physical opposition with quick athletic midfielders he is not at his best.

Having watched the game last night Onomah for Penney or Joao would have improved us.

Pelupessey was one of our best players, first half in particular.

20 minutes ago, malek said:

Problem is that with Bannan dropping so deep for the ball, Pelupessy playing so deep we are often left with 7 outfild players no further then 30 yards from our goal, and other 3 isolated high up the pitch making it hard to create anything, and ball getting back to our 3'rth of the pitch quickly.

This is the problem playing 3 centre halfs when you don’t really have the players to do it. We are really just saying we will have more people to defend and let the strikers feed on scraps.

The best two games where we have actually got forward and looked a team with some attacking tempo were Millwall and Villa.

Both these teams played 442 which meant we were not outnumbered and outplayed in midfield . This allowed us to get further up the pitch.