Do we really need Joey.

Firstly this is not a post slagging Joey off, I think he has been very good value for money.

My thoughts are do we really need to play a holding midfeilder when we play with 3 central defenders.  Definately need holding player when playing a back 4 or back 3 where you have attacking wingbacks.

The midfield looked its best all season against WBA where Onomah was receiving the ball from defence and linking with Bannan and the attack. To get Onomah in the team we either drop one of the available forwards who all seem to work best in a front 3. Revert to a back 4 which has been problematic for us, or drop a midfield player.

I think with Hector showing that he is comfortable moving between defence and midfield could allow us to swap Joey with Onomah.

Do we play with 3 centre backs though? 

There are 3 on the pitch but Hector seems to be playing more as CDM and JP along side him. 

Either way it’s a very negative way to play especially at home, but we were told it wouldn’t be pretty under Jos. 

If if you’re going to play that way, then you need to be good on the counter, to be good on the counter you need pace. 

Barry Bannan was probably the quickest player on the pitch last night in a Wednesday shirt. 

Edited by BD2OWL

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Should always be 3 in the middle. Jos does baffle me a lot of the time. 

He didnt baffle you with the team selection at Bristol. Oh hang on, we beat them. Strange how Jos's tactics are baffling when we lose. Mmmm Those players last night lost us the game nothing to do with tactics. They made serious judgement errors. End of. 

1 hour ago, NYowl said:

Firstly this is not a post slagging Joey off, I think he has been very good value for money.

My thoughts are do we really need to play a holding midfeilder when we play with 3 central defenders.  Definately need holding player when playing a back 4 or back 3 where you have attacking wingbacks.

The midfield looked its best all season against WBA where Onomah was receiving the ball from defence and linking with Bannan and the attack. To get Onomah in the team we either drop one of the available forwards who all seem to work best in a front 3. Revert to a back 4 which has been problematic for us, or drop a midfield player.

I think with Hector showing that he is comfortable moving between defence and midfield could allow us to swap Joey with Onomah.

It was Onomah and Joey against WBA

Bannan was suspended.

Might have to change thread title to "Do we really need Bannan"!

:ph34r:

• Haha 8

Could have been a different game with Onomah in there last night 

Like I said in a previous thread last night, he’s one of the only players who can carry the ball. Infact, he can intercept like Joey AND carry the ball 

Edited by FreshOwl

54 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

He didnt baffle you with the team selection at Bristol. Oh hang on, we beat them. Strange how Jos's tactics are baffling when we lose. Mmmm Those players last night lost us the game nothing to do with tactics. They made serious judgement errors. End of. 

Give this man a badge. Nail, Head, Hit. 

52 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

To be fair his team selection at Bristol was baffling, he named four recognised centre backs in the starting eleven. We were very poor in the first half and lucky not to be behind, it was only when he changed the shape in the second half that we took a hold of the game.

6 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Formation should be 4-3-3 for a start. For me it’s straightforward, joey competes with Hutch for the defensive midfield role. If Hutch is fit, I’d play him just to give us a bit of steel and aggression in there which we need in our side. 

Joey competes with an injury proned liability! 

I think he’s been reasonable value for the money we paid. 

At this level nowadays if you want to compete at the top end of the division you need to offer more than breaking up play, shielding and winning the ball back. Doesn’t have to be goals and assists, but the ability to carry the ball and pick passes into space and between the lines. Who knows he might be capable of this consistently but it’s always the safe option, which ironically puts us under pressure.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

He did because on another day we would have been 3-0 down at half time.

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He did because on another day we would have been 3-0 down at half time.

Oh can I play the ‘on another day’ game too, last night for example.... on another day: 

- Reach scores the header, we go one up and make them chase the game with s team that’s not scored easily all season 

- Reach’s efforts that was tipped over goes in, as above for rest

- Lees doesn’t play like his family have been kidnapped by Russian mafia and he has to ensure we lose by any means possible to keep them alive 

- we score goal line scramble to gain credible draw

- referee grows a set of marbles sends off Ayala who isn’t there to obstruct Lees at end 

oh this on another day game is fun, you can spout any old nonsense!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At Bristol City Onomah was excellent,he looked a quality player much like a young fit Hutchinson.

Yet against Boro he is sat on the bench for the full 90 min.

Strange very strange, if Jos has one big failing it’s not making changes to win a game..

It was the same at Forest.