When is the keeper responsible?

we let a goal in cos thorniley doesnt head the ball and lets it bounce. Lees gets left for dead on the turn and its a goal.

then Lees is on the ball 10 seconds (7 seconds with NO pressure) before giving it to their striker for a 2 v 1 chance.

If only we had a better keeper, their confidence would have allowed them to do better in these instances?

while i understand your main point. to make it after our defence lets the keeper down twice in the same game. surely (if we comment on what we see) we should be moaning that our keeper wont have much confidence in the back line?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GY-owl.4 said:

it hit the inside of the post while rolling along the floor ffs.. so would you have let him off if he would have been beaten at the near post then? 

Of course there was others more at fault further up the pitch, but for me his positioning could have been better.

As i said in my original post i am not saying he should have saved it just that his positioning could have been better to give him more of a chance of saving it.

This keeper debate will rumble on all season. My own view is that none of the 3 goalies are quite good enough. Dawson is the one to retain long term, and I would release Westwood, sell wildsmith and recruit another first team standard goalie to compete with Dawson for the first team shirt.

14 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

You can't blame Dawson for the shitshow in front of him at times but the question still stands.

How long can a keeper go without keeping a clean sheet?

The difference in quality between Wildsmith and Dawson isn't enough to warrant a seemingly guaranteed start every time for CD, and I don't want this to come across as Dawson bashing.

Our lack of clean sheets isn't down to individuals but shaking things up does mean dropping individuals.

Are we saying Dawson should have being playing higher up the field and should have anticipated the club captains back pass?

Should be have been playing sweeper keeper?

lol

13 hours ago, David1867 said:

Unfortunately the keeper is only as good as the 10 players infront of him. 

Hes the last line of defence. 

Dropping Dawson doesn't do anything. Signing another centre half in January may help deal with the problem. 

There are issues all over the pitch. 

some keepers will perform better when used more frequent, and then lapse when used less. peter shilton was a better keeper in the leicester and forest nets in the league than when he was less frequently called into action whilst on international duty with england.

the 'DEFENCE'S overall performance can be judged by those in front of the keeper being inadequate, but not the keeper.

constantly conceding goals in every game is the fault of the team, especially the defence, possibly including the keeper.

the 4 questions to ask are, 1) is dawson the best we have? 2) is he nearer the best in the division, or the other end of the scale? 3) will he improve with games? 4) do we have the luxury of time to wait for that improvement?

7 hours ago, Marpals said:

Of course there was others more at fault further up the pitch, but for me his positioning could have been better.

As i said in my original post i am not saying he should have saved it just that his positioning could have been better to give him more of a chance of saving it.

dont know if his positioning could have been better... maybe it could have been different, as in, closer to the post the ball went in at. 

but had he been in that position instead (bit further across) the guy would have slammed it in at the near post, in which case the criticism of Dawson would have been tripled.  

sometimes you have to hold your hand up and say 'what a finish' - this finish hit the inside of the far post nice and low. probably the one place he had to put it to score.

1 minute ago, GY-owl.4 said:

dont know if his positioning could have been better... maybe it could have been different, as in, closer to the post the ball went in at. 

but had he been in that position instead (bit further across) the guy would have slammed it in at the near post, in which case the criticism of Dawson would have been tripled.  

sometimes you have to hold your hand up and say 'what a finish' - this finish hit the inside of the far post nice and low. probably the one place he had to put it to score.

Finally - you decide to give us some thought reasoning with your posts instead of acting like we should be bowing down to your football knowledge. You should do it more often, that was a good post.

Guest LittleG
29 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Dawson was not responsible for the defeat. However he did look ropey on quite a few occasions. 

This exactly. I worry everytime the ball is crossed into our box because his handling / punching is suspect to say the least. Add his kicking / distribution to this and it is a problem. Having said that he is an excellent shot stopper.

1 hour ago, Matt_1 said:

Finally - you decide to give us some thought reasoning with your posts instead of acting like we should be bowing down to your football knowledge. You should do it more often, that was a good post.

Im not acting like anything and dont want no-one to bow down before me.

but it seems you want my human interaction skills to be as good as my footy knowledge

. so do i but we cant have it all can we, it is what it is and its been like it all my life. 

there is lots about footy i know nowt about, what you will find is i dont post in them threads. i only post in the first place if i think im right, so on that basis yes i guess i do think i am always right.

what i will say (now you mention it) is i could be kinder and more mature when replying to a thread which i think is negative towards a player, but at the same time i always think to myself that the thread starter didnt worry about that human players feelings when starting the thread, so why should i? 

i do suffer from mind-blindness when it comes to judging other humans during interaction though, so i often crash without realising. thanx for posting and letting me know.. it made me think.

FWIW i dont need/want to be liked. i dont think im liked on ere at all as it happens, but i post anyway, for footy reasons.

its not a popularity contest is it.

On 19/10/2018 at 22:23, TINKERBELL said:

You pick your best players every time. Would man utd leave de gea out.would the fk

There was talk about it in his first season .. same with Ronaldo and Drogba .. once they got a full season under their belts they were better players

its pretty embarrassing though that many wednesday fans demand instant success or instant superstar youth players and actively call them out each game even when goals conceded aren't there fault

to say Dawson should have saved Harvey Barnes goal against WBA and any of the 2 the other night is a complete and utter load of dogsh*t ..

people need to wise up, support Dawson and let him get on with the job instead of trying to bring the player down.

beggers belief we have a potential number 1 that could be a star keeper for us for many a year and loads on social media are saying he's gash!