Lees why...

I don't want to be as down on him as some because everyone has a dreadful day at the office every now and then, but last night was definitely the worst game he's ever played for us. The worrying thing is that it felt like the culmination of something that's been building up for a while, you could even argue that Lees hasn't been quite the same player since that own goal in the Huddersfield game (a goal which was far more Pudil's fault than his btw).

While sitting him for ages would be a daft move imo, given that he's the captain, benching him for a game or two and letting Pudil work in the back three might get him to buck his ideas up a bit. I do worry more long-term that we haven't got a proper partner for him and that he doesn't suit a back three/five.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

Lees was completely at fault for both goals. 

For the first goal, the problem started with Thorniley refusing to take the long ball first time despite having no one around him. By letting it bounce he gave the opponent the chance to take a run at it and outjump him, thus starting the attack down the right wing. The forward was able to make himself some room to get his shot away and it should come as no surprise that Lees wasn't quite quick enough to block it as he's no Des Walker, but to say he was "completely at fault" for it is silly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

That mistake for the winning goal was one of the most unforgivable things I have ever seen. Several seconds dithering like someone who had never even come across a football before and then one of the most pathetic back passes in all of human history. Players are entitled to make errors, but that was not deserving of a pub league game. Luhukay really needs to think about his place in the team.

It don't want any thinking about. Let Lees have a think about his game in the under 23's where he may learn something. He should concentrate on his strengths Block & Hoof. 

18 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Is he on the pitch and does he know how to pass forwards.

Just asking.

Don't know and no. He is becoming the weak link in that squad and it hasnt happened overnight. Plays with no confidence, no vision and certainly no leadership. 

8 hours ago, Stoop said:

People need to get off Lees back. He’s a great defender at this level, and one of our best signings of the last 10 years. I blame the manager for his insistence on making him play the ball when he probably just wants to get rid

Everything about your post is  so so wrong. Now to a breath and have another go. 

18 hours ago, David1867 said:

Iv questioned him for some time. 

I remember on here when everyone was saying he's better than Harry Maguire, worth £10m+ etc and I got slaughtered for saying we'd be lucky to get £3m for him. 

Going on what iv seen of him over over the last 18 months I think we'd be lucky to get a fee for him. He's certainly not captain material. 

i said same, very overrated, he's been ok i but never got the hype about him, prem player etc

and for me definitely never ever been  captain material

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, Spuddy01 said:

Lees was completely at fault for both goals. 

That's absolute rubbish, Thorniley was at fault for the first one.

Guest LittleG
27 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Everything about your post is  so so wrong. Now to a breath and have another go. 

Not everything is wrong. He's definitely not one of our best signings over the last 10 years, however I think what the poster is trying to say is that Lees is not a footballing CH so expecting him to play out from the back is totally wrong. We are not good enough to play this way, Barcelona have got a lot to answer for

53 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Not everything is wrong. He's definitely not one of our best signings over the last 10 years, however I think what the poster is trying to say is that Lees is not a footballing CH so expecting him to play out from the back is totally wrong. We are not good enough to play this way, Barcelona have got a lot to answer for

You make a good point . Jos is clearly telling the GK and defenders to play out from the back when they are not comfortable doing it. It just puts us under unnecessary pressure and we almost always end up going long after a few passes anyway. Or alternatively Bannan drops really deep to get it from them which isn't where we want him on the pitch. It will be interesting to see if Van Aken will get a chance when he's match fit as he actually can play this way. 

8 hours ago, jack whitham said:

Tom Lees is a very average centre back and no way is he captain material..Bannan should captain the side as he seems to be the only player who shows any passion.

Disagree with this (not the Bannan as captain bit). Tom Lees has always shown plenty of passion and always gives it 100%. He's in poor form for sure but he certainly doesn't lack passion. 

Edited by NorthernOwl

Think some people are having a knee jerk reaction to Lee's performance. Yes he was woeful, but it doesn't make him a bad player all of a sudden. However, i dont think he should ever have been made captain. I can only assume Jos sees something in training that I dont.....I see more from Hector since he's arrived.....organising, berating mistakes, driving people on etc. I know different captains have different styles, but quietness isnt usually one of them.

6 hours ago, s6 owl said:

I hope we try to bring Venancio back in January i read recently that he hasn't even played a single game for his new club in Portugal

Played today I think.

We really miss him. Knew how to operate in a back three and was so composed and calm on the ball. 

So infuriating to think of the garbage we've signed, yet we couldn't secure the likes of Venancio, Lopez and Sasso on long term deals.

42 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Played today I think.

We really miss him. Knew how to operate in a back three and was so composed and calm on the ball. 

So infuriating to think of the garbage we've signed, yet we couldn't secure the likes of Venancio, Lopez and Sasso on long term deals.

The team he signed for only paid a few hundred thousand for him too and after all the money the club have wasted recently its sickening.