Lees why...

1 minute ago, jack whitham said:

Tom Lees is a very average centre back and no way is he captain material..Bannan should captain the side as he seems to be the only player who shows any passion.

Totally agree - Lees barely communicates with the keeper and partner at the back, never mind the rest of the team. Hector would be better in my view - seems to have more presence, but first choice would be Bannan.

Woken up... still can't believe the number of posts commenting that Lees is a "top" Championship defender. 

A top Championship defender doesn't need Glenn Loovens to hold his hand and make him look good. A top Championship defender doesn't look like he's going to puke every time the pressure is on. He has over 250 appearances at this level, he should be leading that defensive line.

What he is, is an above average Championship defender. He's fine. But top? No way in hell... not for at least two years now. Nowt special. I wonder if injuries have played a part in his stagnation/regression. Hasn't it been said before on here that he has some sort of long-term issue that's only ever going to deteriorate? Might be getting in a muddle. Anyway, no point me harping on, especially so negatively... I've said my piece and we'll leave it at that. 

It’s true that Lees has always looked better with Loovens alongside him, most defenders would as Loovens is/was a quality centre back but Lees is now the senior pro and the likes of Thorniley and Penney need him to be the player for them that Loovens was for him. I think taking the captaincy off him would help but sometimes a captaincy change during a campaign can do more harm than good? That said Bannan’s the outstanding candidate for me should a change be made.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Don't think the lad has been up to his initial standard last season and this if I'm being honest, as other people have mentioned I don't think he's captain material, hence why when venancio got a run last year and started organising and being vocal we looked along with lees far better. Reminds me off the cricket with cook, was fantastic until he became captain and then his performances suffered and became a shadow of himself with the bat. For me we need a proper leader alongside him allowing lees to just get on with the job of defending, which if left to do that he's very competent at this level. 

In my opinion Tom Lees is still a very good  championship defender. A lot of defenders are better players when they have a good centre half next to them. It’s all about partnerships. Agreed Loovens was the perfect player for Lees - someone who was cool, calm and collected and who was a leader.

For me, Tom Lees is better in a conventional back 4. Playing 3 centre halves means that the back 3 are comfortable on the ball to start attacks. Tom has been petrified all season with the ball at his feet. It’s only time, he would make a mistake and last night it came. We need to try Lees and Hector as the centre halves in a back 4 and see if it works. I’d also take the captaincy off Lees and give it to Bannan.

5 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

In my opinion Tom Lees is still a very good  championship defender. A lot of defenders are better players when they have a good centre half next to them. It’s all about partnerships. Agreed Loovens was the perfect player for Lees - someone who was cool, calm and collected and who was a leader.

For me, Tom Lees is better in a conventional back 4. Playing 3 centre halves means that the back 3 are comfortable on the ball to start attacks. Tom has been petrified all season with the ball at his feet. It’s only time, he would make a mistake and last night it came. We need to try Lees and Hector as the centre halves in a back 4 and see if it works. I’d also take the captaincy off Lees and give it to Bannan.

I agree - we need to go a back 4 - i'd bring back Pudil and have Hector next to Lees - Palmer would have to continue at right back as there's nothing else.

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

He's been tasked to play a system that doesn't suit his skillset.

He'd be fine in a flat back four with a talker next to him.

I'm sure he'll be feeling worse than we are this morning.

This ^^ the pain on his face when he turned around and the realisation what he had just done is enough for me to not have a pop !

some right drama queens on here all of a sudden he’s crap and needs dropping,

lets hope he puts it behind him because Jos made him Captain for a reason and he will be in the side come what may.

Not Lees fault, but given how the manager wants him to play how many times did he actually play the ball forwards ?

Jos needs to play to Lees strengths.

Agree with others that Bannan would make a better captain.

His positive reaction to conceding each goal was an example to other players, particularly Joao whose body language each time was juvenile, negative and defeatist. He needs to grow TFU.

6 minutes ago, shireowl said:

This ^^ the pain on his face when he turned around and the realisation what he had just done is enough for me to not have a pop !

some right drama queens on here all of a sudden he’s crap and needs dropping,

lets hope he puts it behind him because Jos made him Captain for a reason and he will be in the side come what may.

I'm not so sure.

Jos sees what we see and if he wants to persist with possession football...then it wouldn't amaze me if Lees goes in January..maybe a swap deal with a club who play a different system.

Edited by Costello 77

2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Seems like opponenets have targeted Lees as being prone to errors when pressed. 

I don't think it's just Lees. Stoke, Leeds and West Brom all pressed the back 3/4 during the games. Palmer and Penny also struggle under pressure. We just aren't capable of dealing with it.

When Westwood/Loovens/Lees were passing it around two season ago boring us to death, most teams came and sat back and let us do it - it was no threat and with us being on the back of a play-off final most teams seemed to give us that respect. That's now gone .

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

He's been tasked to play a system that doesn't suit his skillset.

He'd be fine in a flat back four with a talker next to him.

I'm sure he'll be feeling worse than we are this morning.

This exactly, it's all down to this ridiculous back 3 system we are playing. There's only Hector what looks anything like comfortable on the ball but even then his passing at times is awful. Mind you there's not many players in the team that look comfortable on the ball!

50 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I'm not so sure.

Jos sees what we see and if he wants to persist with possession football...then it wouldn't amaze me if Lees goes in January..maybe a swap deal with a club who play a different system.

Lees won’t be going anywhere one Odd wee wee tail up doesn’t make him surplus to requirements 

He's not a bad player at all, however he's also not a ball playing centre back, so when Jos insists on having us play out like we do from the back, mistakes like that will happen. 

Lees is good in the tackle, can track a forward well and has decent positional play. He should not be expected to play out from the back.