Joao get him off

Middlesborough's defenders simply way too big/physical for him last night (even though he's not exactly a midget himself). He really doesn't relish the physical battle at all. He's an impact sub for me, coming on when those big bad defenders are tiring.....

It’s not “all joao’s fault” but not even the most deluded can back joao from last night!!

What annoys you about him is that you know he can be the match winner but as last night proved he sulks like a mardy little boy when it’s not going his way!! He’s simply not prepared to do the hard work.

10 hours ago, H2Owl said:

Not purely his fault, but let’s face it he was absolute dog poo tonight. One of many that pass the buck 

And therein lies the problem with Joao.

Did a job at Bristol that meant eyebrows would have been raised had Jos not started him. So Jos, rightly, gives him a start and is repaid with another non performance. 

He must be the most frustrating player. We all know he has the ability but he only produces once every 4 or 5 games.

He didn’t even look bothered when he was subbed as though he was happy to get sat down. But as said he wasn't on his own tonight and my doubts about Dawson grow.

7 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

At his age he isn't going to change either.

If we get any offers in January we should seriously consider them..he's a player that cannot be relied on . Zero consistency and not a team player. 

Yes. all the talk about selling reach, FF etc but I think Joao could be the first out of the door. Can't imagine Jos putting up with many no shows like last night. I actually think we'd get a decent fee for him as well (Madine 6 million anyone?). They spend about the same amount of the 90 mins on the floor after all...

Nothing to do with his ability, all about application. Jos made a positive difference to him early on but people like Joao will always revert to type when the going gets a bit tough. Massive shame.

Edited by Almat
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Almat said:

Yes. all the talk about selling reach, FF etc but I think Joao could be the first out of the door. Can't imagine Jos putting up with many no shows like last night. I actually think we'd get a decent fee for him as well (Madine 6 million anyone?). They spend about the same amount of the 90 mins on the floor after all...

Nothing to do with his ability, all about application. Jos made a positive difference to him early on but people like Joao will always revert to type when the going gets a bit tough. Massive shame.

Have to agree, his attitude was the same at Bristol, up until he scored, but thats the crux, he scores, apart from Reach who surely can't carry on knocking worldies in, our threat up front at times is anaemic.

A lot of Fletchs' work last night was out wide, then he has to get into the box, it slows everything down.

We need Fessi back, he seems the only one who can turn up front and cause trouble.

Edited by asteener1867
  • Like 1

Thing is with Joao, he just doesn't suit the current style. Joao would be ok in a slow, measured build up when he only got involved around the oppositions' last third. He's very good around the 18 yrd line, but shibo in working hard in the midfield, running the channels or holding the ball up. Fletcher and Nuihu are both better at these points.

1 hour ago, Animis said:

Thing is with Joao, he just doesn't suit the current style. Joao would be ok in a slow, measured build up when he only got involved around the oppositions' last third. He's very good around the 18 yrd line, but shibo in working hard in the midfield, running the channels or holding the ball up. Fletcher and Nuihu are both better at these points.

Apart from not scoring point; yep Nuhiu & Fletcher are fine.

4 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Apart from not scoring point; yep Nuhiu & Fletcher are fine.

Each has their own attributes and Fletcher and Nuihu are probably more similar in what they offer to Joao.

Joao's probably a better goal/game time ratio than these two, but like Rhodes offers little else. It's a balance when choosing your front line up. Hooper doesn't run around either but his contribution in link-up play and goals is far better than Joao. Clearly he's injured so that's immaterial.

12 hours ago, H2Owl said:

Not purely his fault, but let’s face it he was absolute dog poo tonight. One of many that pass the buck 

It would probably go to the opposites anyway, like many of our efforts tonight. I thought our passing in general was shocking all game.

35 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So frustrating.

Has all the tools to be a very good player but sometimes his application just isn't there.

A real chance for him to make his mark last night but he was by and large hopeless. 

He was ineffective last; & Fletcher was equally ineffective.

Both had very poor service.

But just remind me; who is our top scorer & who scored the goals that put us in the top 6.

5 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

He was ineffective last; & Fletcher was equally ineffective.

Both had very poor service.

But just remind me; who is our top scorer & who scored the goals that put us in the top 6.

In terms of “service” it wasn’t poor, it was non-existent. No crosses, no through-balls, nothing.

BUT, in general play and build-up Fletch and Joao were chalk and cheese.

Fletcher battled, Joao didn’t. Fletcher held the ball and found a colleague. It bounced off Joao all night, and he couldn’t stay on his feet.

Very poor from Lucas last night. I still hope he plays Tuesday, though with some tough words from Jos stinging his ears.