The derby and the underdog

With the derby looming I think it's fair to say in recent times the underdog has mainly faired the better in these fixtures. Taking a look at the recent derbies only strengthens this argument.

The last derby at the stain finished 0-0. We were massive underdogs due to league position, the result of the first derby, away from home and our horrendous injury record. We managed to save face with a 0-0 draw. Cast your minds back to the earlier encounter and one might argue they were the underdogs? Sure they had started unbelievably well but most expected we would be too strong for them at home.....well we all know what happened there.

Other notable results in the derby where the underdog did well include:

1-0 Wednesday O'Grady. The game they could afford to lose, 5 points clear 2 games in hand.

The league cup triumph with Ekoku grabbing the winner

The derby double in 90/91 they took 6 points off us but surely we were favourites for both games?

The 1-0 win where Steve Watson scored

The biggest of all is probably the boxing day massacre. We were underdogs on the day but triumphed and now have a song because of it.

My point is are we the underdogs in the upcoming derby and might this bode well for us? We seem to do better when we are the underdogs and that's fine by me.

I just can't find it in myself to feel like Wednesday are the underdogs when facing United.

I reckon they could be playing Champions League football whilst we were in the conference and I'd still instinctively feel that we were somehow superior.

Maybe it's one of those class vs. form things.

:duntmatter:

Guest LittleG

Derbies are different and a lot of times the results are unexpected so I don't think there is such thing as an underdog in these games

1 hour ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I'm not sure we would have been underdogs in the ekoku derby. First derby in ages after we had been in prem and we were at home. 

i think we were, we were on a downward spiral and they were on the up eventually leading to promotion, they were far better in that game and I've still no idea how we managed to win it.

2 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

With the derby looming I think it's fair to say in recent times the underdog has mainly faired the better in these fixtures. Taking a look at the recent derbies only strengthens this argument.

The last derby at the stain finished 0-0. We were massive underdogs due to league position, the result of the first derby, away from home and our horrendous injury record. We managed to save face with a 0-0 draw. Cast your minds back to the earlier encounter and one might argue they were the underdogs? Sure they had started unbelievably well but most expected we would be too strong for them at home.....well we all know what happened there.

Other notable results in the derby where the underdog did well include:

1-0 Wednesday O'Grady. The game they could afford to lose, 5 points clear 2 games in hand........MIND THE GAP!!

The league cup triumph with Ekoku grabbing the winner

The derby double in 90/91 they took 6 points off us but surely we were favourites for both games?

The 1-0 win where Steve Watson scored

The biggest of all is probably the boxing day massacre. We were underdogs on the day but triumphed and now have a song because of it.

My point is are we the underdogs in the upcoming derby and might this bode well for us? We seem to do better when we are the underdogs and that's fine by me.

Fixed it for you. :tango:

• Haha 1