Wednesday fans born 1990 and since

Born in ‘93.

That’s your opinion but I disagree. Whelan at 28 was a regular starter for Stoke in the Premier League and went to Euro ‘12 with Ireland. Bannan isn’t good enough for PL football. He showed that with Villa and Palace. Huddlestone showed him up at Wembley, and Mooy showed him up in the semi final.

17 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I still hold the belief that football has improved tenfold since the 90s and earlier 

Not sure how great those players would be in today’s game, it’s a hundred times faster 

Think football is a slower these days. You dont get blood and thunder Cup games with tackles flying in for starters.

Many games are more tactical and players are a lot fitter and have more technique then in 1990 though.

Waddle, Sheridan, Hirst all made it to international football and 2 made into World Cup squads.

Bannan and FF are good players but a couple of levels below the three players I have mentioned.

16 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

Semedo will have a soft spot in many a young owl's heart surely.

Some fans might have a soft spot for him but I cant believe anyone would think he is one of SWFC best player in last 30 years. 

Even someone who gets pelters on here when mentioned Peter Atherton was a clear level above Semedo in the same position.

Born in 99, always considered myself a bad luck charm for Wednesday since the year I was born was the season we were relegated from the prem lol 

Best player in my opinion has to be Antonio.

Fessi and Bannan come close but always remember him being miles better than the squad that we had at the time. 

Would love to have kept him and seen how he would fit in with the current squad

21 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I’d argue that by saying the opposition have got weaker too, those balls were easier to play 

I actually believe that the premiership in the early 90s (Bar a few teams) is the same quality as the championship of today. Don’t forget of the huge influx of foreign premier league players over the last decade. No more getting wrecked for Hirst the night before a match. Football has gone up a level 

Waddle would get into the current England squad and so would Hirst in his prime - the current England squad has plenty of pace but not at his level in terms of technique, in Marseille Waddle is still revered now. Sheridan would be the best player in the Eire squad if he was around now. 

Don't forget defenders were allowed to defend back then, they may not have been very good on the ball but they were allowed to get close to their opponents. Players like Waddle & Sheridan made the game look easy on cabbage patches, the players of today complain if the pitch is not like a rolled carpet. The players of today have better stamina and are fitter (though you wouldn't believe that looking at our treatment room!) and the goalkeepers & defenders have better technical skills but many of the current attacking players are more reliant on pace to beat an opponent as apposed to dribbling/passing ability when compared with their predecessors.