Wednesday fans born 1990 and since

1 hour ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I'd hardly say he was past his best.

Won the football writers player of the season in 92/93 season in a league which contained Giggs, Sharpe etc. The only Wednesday player to win this accolade since it's inception in 47/48.

He was magnetic in 92/93. Truly stunning. Full deserved to win the FA cup.

49 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I still hold the belief that football has improved tenfold since the 90s and earlier 

Not sure how great those players would be in today’s game, it’s a hundred times faster 

I've told you a thousand times.  Don't exaggerate.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

The best player i have see in an Owls shirt is by far and away Chris Waddle we had him past his best and he was better than any other player in the league in his first season.

It is hard to believe that anyone under 25 cannot remember us being a top flight team in the early to mid 90's we were consistently in the top 8 of English football and if it was not for Liverpool getting all English teams banned from Europe we would have played a lot more European competitions. and I don't count the inter to to as European football WTF: 

4 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Is Barry Bannan the best Wednesday player you've seen.

From that era Waddle or Sheridan , but give me Terry Curran anyday. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I still hold the belief that football has improved tenfold since the 90s and earlier 

Not sure how great those players would be in today’s game, it’s a hundred times faster 

My wife still believes Unicorns are extinct animals, doesn't make her right. 

The games changed massively, granted. 

But David Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, would still be outstanding players today, I believe. 

Waddle and Sheridan never needed pace, Waddle dropped many a full back on his arse with a feint on a shoulder. 

Sheridan saw the pass before Usain Bolt could chase it. 

David Hirst, well, pace wise he might not be a raheem sterling, but he was quick, good feet, decent in the air and had a aggressive/ determination to his game that's not seen or tolerated these days. 

Let's not forget, David Hirst was rated more than Alan Shearer, before Arsenal sent there hit squad at him. 

56 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

My wife still believes Unicorns are extinct animals, doesn't make her right. 

The games changed massively, granted. 

But David Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, would still be outstanding players today, I believe. 

Waddle and Sheridan never needed pace, Waddle dropped many a full back on his arse with a feint on a shoulder. 

Sheridan saw the pass before Usain Bolt could chase it. 

David Hirst, well, pace wise he might not be a raheem sterling, but he was quick, good feet, decent in the air and had a aggressive/ determination to his game that's not seen or tolerated these days. 

Let's not forget, David Hirst was rated more than Alan Shearer, before Arsenal sent there hit squad at him. 

I’d argue that by saying the opposition have got weaker too, those balls were easier to play 

I actually believe that the premiership in the early 90s (Bar a few teams) is the same quality as the championship of today. Don’t forget of the huge influx of foreign premier league players over the last decade. No more getting wrecked for Hirst the night before a match. Football has gone up a level 

For me, it's probably Fernando. I could cheat and say Carbone or Di Canio but in reality my only real memory of Paolo in a Wednesday shirt was the obvious one at the end. Bannan is up there, fabulous player to watch. Really likeable bloke as well. Prior to the last few years we've not had many great players lets be honest. Often the great ones we did have left before their peak or were on loan.

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

I’d argue that by saying the opposition have got weaker too, those balls were easier to play 

I actually believe that the premiership in the early 90s (Bar a few teams) is the same quality as the championship of today. Don’t forget of the huge influx of foreign premier league players over the last decade. No more getting wrecked for Hirst the night before a match. Football has gone up a level 

That's a fair comment, but it's also why these comparisons shouldn't be made. 

Pele scored over 1000 league goals in poor leagues without the offside rule. 

Ronaldo of the slim variety, probably scored half if that, but in the very best leagues in the world at the pinnacle of football, as we know it. 

Is Ronaldo better than Pele?.. Personally i would say he was. 

But its impossible to compare. 

19 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

Surely they will have seen Hirst, Waddle, Di Canio, Carbone etc?

I was born in 91. I remember hirst and Waddle from Videos but they wern't in my era. It would be cheating.

Could argue Di Canio/Carbone, but they only did it for 1 season, and never loved the club.

For those reasons Bannan has to go above them.

17 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I'd hardly say he was past his best.

Won the football writers player of the season in 92/93 season in a league which contained Giggs, Sharpe etc. The only Wednesday player to win this accolade since it's inception in 47/48.

I know he was amazing for us but you always say a outfielder is in him prime late 20's.

He is the best player i have seen in an Owls shirt - I hope he is not the best player i ever seen in an Owls shirt because that would mean we end up back in the top flight in the future. :stuwinky: