Top 3 Championship Grounds

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Risible.  Outside London, it has probably the best in the league.

Agreed. I come up from London by public transport and I’ve found it to be one of the easiest grounds to get to. Arrive in Sheffield by train and get the tram to Leppings Lane (I usually get something to eat in the city centre and get the tram from there). Not difficult.

Just now, punkskaphil said:

Agreed. I come up from London by public transport and I’ve found it to be one of the easiest grounds to get to. Arrive in Sheffield by train and get the tram to Leppings Lane (I usually get something to eat in the city centre and get the tram from there). Not difficult.

Hillsborough must be the only ground in the country with a mass transit system less than 5 mins walk from the stadium.

Not counting Hillsborough for reasons of bias

I much prefer the traditional stadiums so for me

Villa Park

Bramall Lane  (I know but always a great atmosphere when we go and it does now look quite tidy).

City Ground.

Only "New build I've been to and really like was Millennium,  great ground, fantastic acoustics, proximity to pubs and not forgetting best day out watching Wednesday for over 25 years (27 years to be precise).

Edit forgot Stadium of light and Ethihad quite like them as a new ground goes.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Like 2

Hillsborough apart..........

Deepdale .............. sentimental reasons been there many times with Wednesday and worked there a few weeks so seen it in both old and new formats

Ewood Park ........... It was a complete and utter hole in the 70/80's, totally transformed in a few years courtesy of Jack Walker without losing it's traditional feel

Villa Park ................ nothing needs to be said

17 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Hillsborough must be the only ground in the country with a mass transit system less than 5 mins walk from the stadium.

All London grounds are close to underground stations..Weekend matches in London were always my fav away days. Train to London few beers then off to the match...

Man city is close to the Manchester Tram network..

Sunderland is close to the Metro link. Villa Park is close to two railway stations.

If I can think of any more I will get back to you..

Leaving Hillsborough and T'Lane aside on grounds of bias...

Villa Park

The Hawthorns

Carrow Road

I think we're not as spoiled as we usually are for grounds in the Championship this season, I've loved trips to St James Park, Stadium of Light, and Oakwell in recent years but obviously none of them share a division with us at present.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

1 hour ago, outlaw pete said:

All London grounds are close to underground stations..Weekend matches in London were always my fav away days. Train to London few beers then off to the match...

Man city is close to the Manchester Tram network..

Sunderland is close to the Metro link. Villa Park is close to two railway stations.

If I can think of any more I will get back to you..

Spurs is almost a mile and a half from the Tube, Brentford is almost a mile away, Millwall's a mile away, Charlton is nowhere near a Tube station. I'll allow Palace even though technically it's Overground, but it's close enough and is included on the Underground map.

1 hour ago, punkskaphil said:

Spurs is almost a mile and a half from the Tube, Brentford is almost a mile away, Millwall's a mile away, Charlton is nowhere near a Tube station. I'll allow Palace even though technically it's Overground, but it's close enough and is included on the Underground map.

I think his idea of a 5 minute walk differs from the rest of humanity.

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It’s an asset but not the only one St James Park and  the Stadium of Light have their own metro stops. 

According to Google Maps, it's a 12 minute walk to the nearest Metro stop form the Stadium of Light.  Newcastle is only 3 mins walk and Hillsborough is 4.  So far they are the only 2 stadia within a 5 minute walk of the nearest Mass Transit system.

Edited by Sham67

In terms of the size factor it’s difficult to get away from 

Villa Park

Hillsborough

Pride Park

The latter loses points for lacking the longevity of the other two. 

By the same criteria Leeds should be in there and whilst Hillsborough isn’t exactly an oil painting in places but there’s something extra grotty about Elland Road 

6 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

According to Google Maps, it's a 12 minute walk to the nearest Metro stop form the Stadium of Light.  Newcastle is only 3 mins walk and Hillsborough is 4.  So far they are the only 2 stadia within a 5 minute walk of the nearest Mass Transit system.

I’d take some of that with a pinch of salt as the St James metro is literally right next to the stadium so it depends where it’s measured from. Even at Hillsborough it can take longer than 5 depending where you leave. Never timed the walk to SoL but it seems pretty close when going past (Apple maps even suggests 4 mins :tongue:). If Gateshead ever get promoted they don’t do too badly either.

But the proximity of the transport and the park is a big reason why Hillsborough continued to be chosen even in the failed WC bid.

22 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Unless we are at home to Leeds.

Then there isn't a mass transit system.

• Haha 2

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.