Early 90’s Classic SWFC Videos

Back then we had some excellent SWFC videos – things like Fight for Promotion, The Will to Win, It’s a kind of magic, League Cup Glory etc.

Great commentary (usually by John Helm?) and brilliant interviews and footage with the players. We had great camaraderie in the squad back then, and it really came across in those videos.

There are some great quotes, things like;

“King’s Cross to Hirst, it sounds like a train journey but it nearly produced a goal”!

What are people’s favourite memories of these VHS classics? It certainly was a great time to be a Wednesdayite.

Also – is it possible to get any of these on DVD? It would be great to have them on a more modern format like MP4. Can this be done?

Anybody converted them? I would pay good money for some modern copies.

swfc vids.jpg

• Like 6

I had the 93/94 video, which I used to watch whenever I needed cheering up a bit  (little boys have feelings too kids).  we made a slow start that season. And I think we played Norwich and in typical Wednesday style we went 3-0 up and ended up drawing 3-3. John helm said “victory was elusive as ever”.

I also remember there was a strange interview with mark bright about his goal scoring, and he said “I write down the numbers 1-5 or something around the flat and tick them off as I go past”. I still have no frigging clue what he was on about. 

• Haha 4

I had them all, being on the will to win video as a 15 year old was brilliant, I could also pick myself out running on the pitch after the league cup second leg on the Leauge Cup Glory videos, fantastic times to have been a supporter .

If you're of a certain age two Wednesday teams stand out(1958 - 1962/63) and (1990 - 1994). Very little television coverage of the Catterick's and Buckingham's teams but these wonderful VHS's of the early 90's certainly stir the memories. You can convert them and one day I must do so! They were pretty professionally done and John Helm did a good job.

I loved the will to win

and still have the

92-93

93-94

94-95

seasons

Used to love John Helm but looking back it sounds a bit cheap

At least one of them is signed by Waddle and Hirst

Great time to be a Wednesday fan

Think theyre all on youtube anyway..and dvds are on there way out

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

I didn't think they made a 94-95 season video. My first visit to Hillsborough was during that season but when I asked the staff in the club shop about it the following season they said a video hadn't been made. I didn't have the Will to Win but I had all the season reviews up until 2012 promotion season.

Did John Helm ever work out how to pronounce "Wednesday" properly?

• Haha 2

Guest addedtime
3 hours ago, Swfc till then die said:

I’m selling a lot of the videos but not converted them to a dvd (see Swfc transfer list)

I got a mate to do all mine. One of those VHS/DVD players.

Guest addedtime
21 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I didn't think they made a 94-95 season video. My first visit to Hillsborough was during that season but when I asked the staff in the club shop about it the following season they said a video hadn't been made. I didn't have the Will to Win but I had all the season reviews up until 2012 promotion season.

Did John Helm ever work out how to pronounce "Wednesday" properly?

I didn't think they did either. It was a shocker of a season.

30 minutes ago, martyn8484 said:

was it John Helm that always said "Julian Hyde", did my head right in!

I think it was someone else. There was a guy who always used to go on about David Hirst's 'trusty left peg' who used to get players' names wrong. I assumed his commentary was recorded later because he never seemed to sound surprised or excited by anything, as though he already knew it was going to happen.

Just now, punkskaphil said:

I think it was someone else. There was a guy who always used to go on about David Hirst's 'trusty left peg' who used to get players' names wrong. I assumed his commentary was recorded later because he never seemed to sound surprised or excited by anything, as though he already knew it was going to happen.

ah yeh there was another guy ........I remember when he got excited he used to shout the first word of sentences. One that sticks in the mind (I think the 6-2 Leeds game) when he said "FIRST time pass, FIRST time touch, FIRST time shot, and Wednesday leadl!" Calm down mate...........

24 minutes ago, martyn8484 said:

ah yeh there was another guy ........I remember when he got excited he used to shout the first word of sentences. One that sticks in the mind (I think the 6-2 Leeds game) when he said "FIRST time pass, FIRST time touch, FIRST time shot, and Wednesday leadl!" Calm down mate...........

Here he is describing Mark Pembridge's "trusty right boot". That's the predominantly left-footed Mark Pembridge, by the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTBd1jCiBBE

This was the match where a Millwall fan ran on and told Kevin Pressman he wouldn't make it out of the stadium alive. I was at the game and little did I know I wouldn't see Wednesday win again for the next eight years...