Brexit

Hillsbrexit  

502 members have voted

1. 1. Stay, upgrade..or..new Stadium

• Stay at Hillsborough and upgrade
    • New Stadium

Has the leave bid announced what the new stadium would be called and where it would be located???

I have been hearing rumours that they would call it 'Sir Gary Megson' stadium and that they've agreed a land purchase to build the stadium on Whitey Lane, Grenoside.

I think they're in talks to get him on the leave bid as well, should attract a huge increase in leave voters if he joins. Might be some truth that if leave wins, he'll bide his time to see the move go so badly before staking his claim to become leader of Sheffield Wednesday. 

There are very few stadiums that are a success imo. Apart from extra seats, which we don't need and probably never will, a new stadium offers nothing. Just souless, shiny, symmetrical, unimaginative 5h1te. The atmosphere at these new stadiums is awful and I don't think anyone on here can name an exception. Even Man City!!! Maine Road was a great atmosphere, Eastlands is like a morgue, and they're watching some of the best football in the history of the game. It's a remain from me. 

1 hour ago, roaminowl said:

Anybody who votes to leave Hillsborough is getting permanently banned from Owlstalk.

Probably should have mentioned that before but hey ho.

lol

That explains why Neil hasn't been on here then!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

The only move I would countenance would be to Hillsborough Park, it used to be packed full of locals but not any more. The Park was bequeathed to the people of Sheffield for their enjoyment by Mr Dixon. If they're are not using it they're losing it. We can put it to great use.  

I believe Hillsborough Park has restrictive covenants Nev. If push came to shove, then Niagara would be more ideal. 

Just now, daztheowl said:

I believe Hillsborough Park has restrictive covenants Nev. If push came to shove, then Niagara would be more ideal. 

That's right, for the use by the people of Sheffield. We are the people of Sheffield. Niagara I think is too narrow, we would need to use both sides of Clay Wheels Lane. 

22 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

But we don't know

Cost of new stadium v Cost of new Kop and West stand.

Income from a new stadium v current income, or estimated income from a revamped Hillsborough. 

So, like the EU referendum, we are being asked to vote on an emotive subject without facts. 

It’s not just those two that would need upgraded/replaced though is it? 

The North Stand is nearly 60 years old too so staying put would mean upgrading/replacing 3 stands which is likely going to be cost prohibitive. I honestly can’t see any solution other than a new stadium but like you say both options would need to be costed and people would need to have a comparison.

I’m a leaver but it’s not going to happen anytime soon anyway so it’s a pointless discussion.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

It’s not just those two that would need upgraded/replaced though is it? 

The North Stand is nearly 60 years old too so staying put would mean upgrading/replacing 3 stands which is likely going to be cost prohibitive. I honestly can’t see any solution other than a new stadium but like you say both options would need to be costed and people would need to have a comparison.

I’m a leaver but it’s not going to happen anytime soon anyway so it’s a pointless discussion.

Upgrading...why knock the North down?....or the South/..The North is a listed building isn't it?