Nuhiu, Palmer, Pelupessy, Dawson et al

Why people revel in finding fault with their club’s players is beyond me. As a fan base, we’re not alone in criticising our own  players but some of our lot are particularly adept at it. 

Nuhiu, Palmer, Pelupessy and Dawson aren’t the best player in the division but neither are they the worst - they are good (yes, I said “good”) solid steady Championship players that have all contributed in some way to us currently sitting in sixth position in the league just six points behind the current leaders. 

It feels to me that some of our fans won’t rest until they chase these players out of the club. What a sorry state of affairs it would be if these fans hounded out the players they dislike; then again, they’d probably feel satisfied and be raring to go to oust their next targets.

We all want a squad full of world-beaters but it just ain’t going to happen. I wish that some of our fans were more supportive FFS. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

No matter how good the squad is they'll always be whipping boys......

I agree with what the OP says.Ive personally never believed in booing our own players and I’d leave discussing their merits or lack of till I was back in the pub. Unfortunately pub chat has been replaced by forums and social media and what you once said over a pint and was then forgotten is now out there for us all to see.

Torry is right though. It’s not new for fans to find a whipping boy.

I think it was Eric Taylor who said that he’d be relieved when the cantilever was built as the crowd on the old North terrace was too near the pitch and the players were sick of the vile abuse they were getting.

Don’t reallt see the point of this thread. It’s part and part of football, at any club in the country 

Every club has it, benzema at Madrid being one example 

Don’t know why some of us think our fans are in a league of their own in terms of abuse given to players 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Don’t reallt see the point of this thread. It’s part and part of football, at any club in the country 

Don’t know why some of us think our fans are in a league of their own in terms of abuse given to players 

Rhodes would have scored more for Madrid with the same opportunity.

lol

Ronaldo was at a super human level though so perhaps that clouds it a bit.

It all depends on how you view the clubs ambitions.

Clubs with zero expectations usually have fans willing to support players who try hard but aren't that talented and accept it.

Since Chansiri we've been built up as a side wanting promotion to the promised land.

Players like Palmer stand out as average and it has been frustrating to see him relied on in a supposedly ambitious side.

This season is an odd one, most accept we have had to cobble a side together but still feel we should look at the top 6. Chansiri is still pushing us as a potential promotion side without the squad looking like one. No surprise fans are divided in their views of a players worth.

• Haha 1

Guest LittleG
23 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

100% agree, it happens at every club. Pointless post.

45 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

It all depends on how you view the clubs ambitions.

Clubs with zero expectations usually have fans willing to support players who try hard but aren't that talented and accept it.

Since Chansiri we've been built up as a side wanting promotion to the promised land.

Players like Palmer stand out as average and it has been frustrating to see him relied on in a supposedly ambitious side.

This season is an odd one, most accept we have had to cobble a side together but still feel we should look at the top 6. Chansiri is still pushing us as a potential promotion side without the squad looking like one. No surprise fans are divided in their views of a players worth.

A player’s worth is irrelevant in the context of this discussion. I’m talking about supporting players whether they’re top class, average or rubbish. Players rarely play better (I’d go as far as saying “never play better”) when one or more of their “fans” hurl criticism at them. It’s like a disease; fans criticise (often in an abusive manner), the player gets nervous and apprehensive, fans hurl more abuse, the player becomes reluctant to take the risk, more fans join in the fashionable criticism of that player, the player loses confidence and becomes ineffective. Nobody really wins; not even the fvvcktard fans who get some sort of perverse “I told you so” pleasure at a players demise. 

I’m not talking about your groans from the crowd here or even your regular “oh for fvvck’s sake” that you hear at games; I’m talking about your constant criticism and scapegoating of some of our players. 

4 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think sometimes you've got to look at what they add to the team as a whole, not just just what they offer as individuals.

... and, I might suggest, that all four players mentioned always put in 100% and,for that reason alone, they are all worthy of praise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I agree, every club does it and debate and criticism isn’t a bad thing.

I don’t mind when people argue their point  and have strong opinions. I don’t mind when people stick to their guns.

It’s when it gets abusive and or when someone fails to see reason and sticks to a point even when a valid counter argument is given.

Whilst I don’t like reading uneducated abusive debate, doing it on here or social media doesn’t matter. As long as it isn’t directed to a personal account, what harm is really done.

Just because everyone does it though, it doesn’t make it right. It will never happen but wouldn’t it be great if Wednesday could be the first to stop hurling abuse at our own players during games and create a very positive winning mentality.

What gets posted on here does find its way into the crowd at games though and vice versa. In a sense, OwlsTalk and other social media is an extension of the crowd given its real time and interactive nature. 

25 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

I agree, every club does it and debate and criticism isn’t a bad thing.

I don’t mind when people argue their point  and have strong opinions. I don’t mind when people stick to their guns.

It’s when it gets abusive and or when someone fails to see reason and sticks to a point even when a valid counter argument is given.

Whilst I don’t like reading uneducated abusive debate, doing it on here or social media doesn’t matter. As long as it isn’t directed to a personal account, what harm is really done.

Just because everyone does it though, it doesn’t make it right. It will never happen but wouldn’t it be great if Wednesday could be the first to stop hurling abuse at our own players during games and create a very positive winning mentality.

Without knowing any of the players personally, I doubt you can class any abuse on here  as ‘personal’

’useless git’

’can’t trap a bag of cement’

etc 

I agree with the consensus though 

• Like 1