Favourite Wednesday Goals

15 minutes ago, manicowl said:

I remember listening to that game on Hallam FM and when it went in there was such a row you couldn't actually tell what had happened. I think the commentator eventually decided it was O'Neill Donaldson that had scored. We didn't get beaten very often that season. Solid, if unspectacular side.

There keeper who's name escapes me fumble stevanovics volley over the line and clawed back for dondalson to put it the net but it was definitely Stev who scored....  don't know why that goal is favourite of mine coz I've seen many better but it's one I remember with great joy 

4 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

2nd, 3rd and 4th on my list are these 3. Reyt day, almost drew in the end, some things never bloody change.

Three quality goals, remember them asking some Leeds fan what he wanted for his birthday at halftime and him saying another keeper.

:luhukay:

My first ever away game, right enjoyed that break away for the 3rd, bit nervy at the end though, typical wednesday

One of my first away matches as a kid. Remember getting carried(feet not touching the floor style) down the away end when Carlton stuck that beauty away. Crapped myself though.

Talbot v Hartlepool.

3-2 up them down to ten men, game over. Realisation that the free kick they are about to take could if scored take us to penalties, and result could go either way.

Free kick cleared to Talbot on halfway line. "they think it's all over....it is now"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katie melua said:

The second, third and fourth goals of this night - probably just and I mean only just beats the three goals scored away at Leicester in the 4-1 win under Laws.

Good to see the homeless gentlemen enjoying celebrating Hamshaw's goal, good for him.

:tango:

Without too much research:

Curran at bumhole

Sheridan free kick at Luton

Dink

Waddle at Wemberlee

Harkes v Shilton

Tricky Trev v Ipswich ("Francis has got his goal)

Steve Whitton v 'Boro

Tudgay at bumhole

Matias or Reach v Leeds

Wilson volley v Chelsea

Sterland running the length of the pitch v Arsenal (pity no footage exists)

Edited by toppOwl

My most memorable goal has never changed,it was Gerry Young way back in 1969,We drew 2nd division Birmingham at home in round 4 of the FA cup after dumping leeds  out at elland road,the game was one hell of a contest,both sides went full tilt at each other,hillsborough was rammed with over 50,000,citys keeper had a stormer,in a breathtaking game,the leppings lane end was full to busting with brummies,when they sang the "walk on",the entire end was covered in city scarves it was an amazing site,they thought theyd done us,wed took the lead but they fought back to lead 2-1 with time running out and whistles for time in the packed away end,step foreward Gerry,on a heavy pitch in late january,and from fully 35 yards,he let fly with an absolute exocet missile that flew past Herriot before he could even move.

One of the finest games I ever saw at S6,after all these years I can still recall the contest with ease,Fred Pickering,a young Jimmy Greenhoff and Vowden were excellent for city,Herriot kept them alive with some superb stops.

We lost the replay,Gerry again scored a scorcher from distance,but it wasnt to be,wed have faced Man Utd who I believe Brum beat up at old trafford,only to get bashed by the excellent chelsea side of the late 60s.

But that goal,from that distance,at the time of the game and under those conditions,you had to be there to appreciate how good it was

• Like 2

Warhurst with the 3rd vs Blackburn League Cup Semi 1993-skinned that scottish defender that looked like a drag queen and smashed it passed Mimms

Bannan at Derby the other year with the screamer..Thought we might get that elusive away victory there.

Lee with the winner vs Bristol City last minute

Mguire with the last minute winner vs Barnsley

10 hours ago, marconi said:

Talbot v Hartlepool.

3-2 up them down to ten men, game over. Realisation that the free kick they are about to take could if scored take us to penalties, and result could go either way.

Free kick cleared to Talbot on halfway line. "they think it's all over....it is now"

Maclean's penalty was probably one of the most significant goals in Wednesday's recent history. Just eight minutes to go and their keeper got his fingertips to it but it still went in. After that, once we got to extra time, there was only going to be one winner and Talbot's icing on the cake was a welcome bonus not just on the day but for the next few years.

• Like 1