Sam Winnall

looking forward to this guy playing. The previous management killed him, mainly due to the fact CC had to justify the big outlay on Rhodes. Him and FF alongside a big guy down the middle and we'll cause any team problems. throw Matias into the mix and Joao we've got some good game-changing options.  Once all fit the big question is, can he keep everyone happy?

6 hours ago, LittleG said:

Most of his goal scoring exploits have been in div 1 & 2. He's only been in championship since 2016-17 where he scored 11 in 22 games, very impressive. He then joined the Owls where he scored 3 in 15. He might hopefully hit it off for us again but he also might not. My opinion is that he works hard and is willing to have a go but is his all round game good enough.

i don't think we can judge any of our forwards that played under coco until they have played for jos. leading the line when heavily marked is a massively harder game than doing so in a side which isn't taking all day to get it forward.

7 hours ago, Blatter said:

Amazing how these players who aren’t in the first team are suddenly going to fire us to promotion.

The club is overloaded with strikers. Nuhiu, Fletcher, Joao, Forestieri, Matias, Hooper, Winnall (Plus Rhodes)

Winnall will struggle to get into the starting eleven and will have to prove himself to the hard taskmaster we now have as manager. Competition for places is a good thing but seven fighting for two positions can lead to trouble, it’s too many, action needed in the next transfer window.

In a 4-2-3-1 Joao, Forestieri and Matias play in the attacking midfield positions.

Rhodes is out on loan for the season, not sure why you have added him.

That leaves Fletcher, Nuhiu, Winnall and Hooper, Hooper for me can play behind the striker so he's an option in the 10, plus he's not suited to the 9.

Narrowing down to now 3, Fletcher, Nuhiu and Winnall.

Fletcher is the perfect number 9 but at his age he struggles to play 2 games a week in that role, I believe I have seen enough of Winnall to say he should push Fletcher for a starting place. Nuhiu does what he's most effective at, coming off the bench to see out a game.

Finally, I never said Winnall is going to fire us to promotion but a fit Winnall will score goals and is a welcome addition to the match day squad.

Just now, Jamie_W said:

My memory of Winnall was that of a guy that really, really wanted to achieve in a Wednesday shirt. When I watched him play his reactions to every miss and every goal were extreme, he really seemed to give a damn and I was gutted he never got a proper chance. At the same time there's question marks over his temperament given things that have been said and done, but in a new managerial environment I'm very excited to see what he can do for us.

Jos is the key

21 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Van Aken can still be a good player. My six year old son decided he wanted his autograph during owls in the park. 

My conclusion was when I met him that he needs to get down McDonald's and put some weight on, that's why Leon Clarke knocked him off the ball so easily this time last year.

Got a turning circle like a cruise ship, I’ve seen infants with more defensive ability than Van Aken I’m afraid.

Don’t mean to disrespect infants there.

13 hours ago, LittleG said:

I hope he is a success but at this stage we don't know about his attitude so not getting carried away. It seemed last season that he wanted to sign for Derby so let's see how it goes.

It maybe he's a very similar character to old nigel Pearson, no nonsense, Dosent take no bulshit, says it has he sees it and Dosent like being messed about, could see that causing problems with a few people, but he does work his socks off and seems a bit of a winner too, like our old skipper. Hope when fit he gets a run, becouse I think he'll settle under Jos and jos will appreciate his attitude. 

55 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

Got a turning circle like a cruise ship, I’ve seen infants with more defensive ability than Van Aken I’m afraid.

Don’t mean to disrespect infants there.

Very harsh on Van Aken, he's got more ability on the ball than any defender in our squad, I think he lacks physicality for English football but that is something you can develop.

I think he will turn out to be a success with us, but support like you are giving him won't help.

He needs to mature and develop, I am excited to see how he grows.

52 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

It maybe he's a very similar character to old nigel Pearson, no nonsense, Dosent take no bulshit, says it has he sees it and Dosent like being messed about, could see that causing problems with a few people, but he does work his socks off and seems a bit of a winner too, like our old skipper. Hope when fit he gets a run, becouse I think he'll settle under Jos and jos will appreciate his attitude. 

Great post. 

He was clearly disgruntled at the lack of effort being shown by some at the time. Plus how badly CC treated him. A double whammy. That's how i see it, anyway. And what's this peculiar OT trait where we seem to want only 'nice people' playing for/managing us? Bizarre. Would anyone describe Alex Ferguson as 'nice'? No, but you could describe him as the most successful British manager of all time!

Edited by Almat

I think just giving us an extra option is worth its weight. He can bring something different to the team, same with Hooper when he is back and firing.

They are two out and out strikers / poachers and know where to be. Joao, Forestieri, Fletcher and Nuhui all bring their own strengths but none are as good at being in the right place at the right time as Winnall and Hooper.

Can only be a positive for the squad

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Very harsh on Van Aken, he's got more ability on the ball than any defender in our squad, I think he lacks physicality for English football but that is something you can develop.

I think he will turn out to be a success with us, but support like you are giving him won't help.

He needs to mature and develop, I am excited to see how he grows.

Allways thought the no1 asset of a defender is the ability to defend, unfortunately joust is not very good at this.

I don’t think him improving his physicallity will make him any better defensively,, not good enough I’m afraid.

Hope I’m wrong but he looks like a complete waste of money.

Im giving an opinion on a football forum, hardly going to affect his performance or development now is it.