Sam Winnall

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure he was that disruptive at Barnsley. The club went back and interviewed him for the programme last season and he was hugely influential in their success while he was with them. Their fans adored him until he moved to us.

He had a falling out while with us and was getting frustrated - understandable perhaps given how far down the pecking order he seemed to be under Carlos. He hit the ground running at Derby so again understandable that he fancied staying with them at that time. The regimes at both clubs are now very different so it effectively a clean slate for him here under a new boss. 

Some of his general play in his time with us hasn't been great - at times it seemed like he could 'control' a ball further than some can pass it but he is clinical in the box, especially in the air which offers us something that the other strikers don't.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure he was that disruptive at Barnsley. The club went back and interviewed him for the programme last season and he was hugely influential in their success while he was with them. Their fans adored him until he moved to us.

He had a falling out while with us and was getting frustrated - understandable perhaps given how far down the pecking order he seemed to be under Carlos. He hit the ground running at Derby so again understandable that he fancied staying with them at that time. The regimes at both clubs are now very different so it effectively a clean slate for him here under a new boss. 

Some of his general play in his time with us hasn't been great - at times it seemed like he could 'control' a ball further than some can pass it but he is clinical in the box, especially in the air which offers us something that the other strikers don't.

Perhaps I am wrong about him being disruptive at Barnsley, I was going on what was reported on this Forum about his ego and attitude which was apparently carried over to his time with us.

It is a new regime for him and like I've already stayed I hope it works out, but I am not holding my breath. He has a lot of competition and, although he works hard and will have a go, I still don't think his general play like you have pointed out, is good enough. Hope I'm wrong 

8 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Perhaps I am wrong about him being disruptive at Barnsley, I was going on what was reported on this Forum about his ego and attitude which was apparently carried over to his time with us.

It is a new regime for him and like I've already stayed I hope it works out, but I am not holding my breath. He has a lot of competition and, although he works hard and will have a go, I still don't think his general play like you have pointed out, is good enough. Hope I'm wrong 

Fair enough, I don't expect him to turn us into world beaters just prefer to have him as an option while we are paying him than sat on the treatment table. We do have plenty of competition in his position but Hooper doesn't look like returning any time soon and his aerial ability in the box is something none of strikers offer, even Fletcher who is good in the air doesn't hit the target as consistently. 

12 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Van Aken can still be a good player. My six year old son decided he wanted his autograph during owls in the park. 

My conclusion was when I met him that he needs to get down McDonald's and put some weight on, that's why Leon Clarke knocked him off the ball so easily this time last year.

was it at a buffet?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LittleG said:

Most of his goal scoring exploits have been in div 1 & 2. He's only been in championship since 2016-17 where he scored 11 in 22 games, very impressive. He then joined the Owls where he scored 3 in 15. He might hopefully hit it off for us again but he also might not. My opinion is that he works hard and is willing to have a go but is his all round game good enough.

Selective statting there. Like I said earlier, AFAICT he's only played 17 full matches in the Champ since leaving Barnsley.....and scored 10 goals. His mins per goal ratio must be very high...

Guest wilyfox

Prepared to give him another go. Why not?! It's been a year. All our strikers have fluctuating form, so if he performs in training I'm sure he'll get minutes under Jos.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

He scored a solid amount of goals for Barnsley and again for Derby. Yet some people think he isn’t good enough for us.

It's laughable isn't it? I genuinely believe some of our fans think we are bleeding Real Madrid :luhukay:

• Haha 1

Guest LittleG
3 minutes ago, Almat said:

Selective statting there. Like I said earlier, AFAICT he's only played 17 full matches in the Champ since leaving Barnsley.....and scored 10 goals. His mins per goal ratio must be very high...

Not really selective stats, I was just pointing out that he has only been a championship player for 2 years whereas your post seemed to infer he had been scoring at this level for years. I've not decried his scoring achievements but as I've stated in other posts I'm still not sure of his general all round play. I sincerely hope he does prove me wrong 

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

Not really selective stats, I was just pointing out that he has only been a championship player for 2 years whereas your post seemed to infer he had been scoring at this level for years. I've not decried his scoring achievements but as I've stated in other posts I'm still not sure of his general all round play. I sincerely hope he does prove me wrong 

If he can get us a goal every 2 games I'll not to be too concerned about his 'all round play'. BTW, an accusation you could label at many a world class striker...

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, Almat said:

If he can get us a goal every 2 games I'll not to be too concerned about his 'all round play'. BTW, an accusation you could label at many a world class striker...

Same here I'll be ecstatic if he scores at that rate

4 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

It went sour because of the Rhodes signing. If we don’t sign Rhodes, he gets more game time, scores goals and doesn’t become frustrated. The Fessi incident may never have happened. 

The signing of Rhodes was due to fan pressure. Before we signed Rhodes a lot of our fans still saw him as the player that joined Blackburn not the player that left Blackburn. 

The most puzzling thing is despite seeing him play, some fans still believe this. 

Frustration is a terrible thing. Think more cross-arm slalom going on in the dressing room would help with this and bonding. :duntmatter::goalie: 

I enjoyed watching him play for us. Always looked to shoot. Create half a yard and get a shot away. Huge threat if you have players like this in the box. 

United were like this a lot last season. Get plenty of deflected goals, play the percentages, get rebounds etc. I think he can bring scruffy goals as well as worldies we score. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Almat said:

I know you aren't alone in saying this but I don't really understand it. His goalscoring record over the last few seasons is incredibly impressive at this level so why would he only be good enough for mid table/bottom Champ sides? Each side, top or bottom, play each other twice and his goalscoring record is very impressive. Please explain. He scored almost 1 in 2 for a struggling barnsley side so why wouldn't he score even more in a better side?

PS Looking at his stats he actually only started 11 games for us in total and 6 for Derby and still scored 10 goals. His minutes per goal ratio must be very good...

According to the authoritative transfermkt.com his Championship minutes per goal ratio is 153!    

Works out at 27 in a whole season!

Case closed? lol

Edited by Almat

One step at a time . He has been out for ages with a serious injury so he will still require more weeks of training and under 23 games.

He has not to be rushed back as he is prone to get further injuries during this phase.

He could be in contention in December is my reckoning. Good luck hope he can get fit, stay fit and score goals.