Sam Winnall

He's got maybe around two months to push for a place in the team? How successful he is during this period will probably determine whether we look to move him on sooner rather than later? He could be an asset but then again competition for places up top will be intense if it isn't already? At the moment I see Joao, Forrestieri and maybe Matias as the forwards who will be the most productive this season.

2 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

He's got maybe around two months to push for a place in the team? How successful he is during this period will probably determine whether we look to move him on sooner rather than later? He could be an asset but then again competition for places up top will be intense if it isn't already? At the moment I see Joao, Forrestieri and maybe Matias as the forwards who will be the most productive this season.

Competition is good. And Winnall strikes me as ultra competitive WTF:

1 hour ago, LittleG said:

I hope he is a success but at this stage we don't know about his attitude so not getting carried away. It seemed last season that he wanted to sign for Derby so let's see how it goes.

To be fair to the lad why wouldn’t he. Was frozen out here and scoring goals and liked there. Of course he would want to move. 

The fact he didn’t is now history. 

9 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I'm still of the opinion that Rhodes isn't a bad player, it's just he signed for the wrong Manager.

You don't spend £8m on a striker and then go about training him to be a different player.

Problem number two for Rhodes and Winnall: We only needed to sign one striker, if any, and could really have done with signing Hector or Pelupessy if the both back then.

Striker wise in early 2017 Fletcher was our most prolific.

Pretty lame excuse if you blame any manager for poor decision making of any player on the pitch. JR was dire for Wednesday in front of goal . With that price tag in this league, it shouldn't really matter who the manager is. He ought to be scoring for fun but he isn't and will never be a prolific score in the Championship. Like quite a few have said, worse piece of business in Wednesdays history. 

11 minutes ago, Plonk said:

To be fair to the lad why wouldn’t he. Was frozen out here and scoring goals and liked there. Of course he would want to move. 

The fact he didn’t is now history. 

Totally agree. He was criminally mismanaged by CC. Example? Scores our goal against Barnsley away after taking dogs abuse all game then not even in the matchday squad let alone on the bench next game. Ridiculous. And sadly par for the course with Jos's predecessor...

6 minutes ago, Watson said:

Still yet to be impressed by Winnall has had one or two good moments, but for me, he goes missing too often, make's the wrong decision.  He's an improvement on Nuhiu so I do expect him to be in the squad but I wouldn't start with him.  

He's a proven goalscorer at this level but never had a chance with our previous 'manager'. I think you might be analysing it too much. Let's wait and see what Jos can get out of him because if he can get him to recreate his Barnsley form he would be a very big asset indeed. He'll be 28 in January, an age which some observers think is a striker's optimum age.

Edited by Almat

1 minute ago, Almat said:

He's a proven goalscorer at this level but never had a chance with our previous 'manager'. I think you might be analysing it too much. Let's wait and see what Jos can get out of him because if he can get him to recreate his Barnsley form he would be a very big asset indeed..

Quite happy for him to show Jos what he can do, I'm just not yet convinced that he's a top of the league Championship forward.  I'm always happy when players shove my words down my mouth.  Nuhiu last season for one.

6 minutes ago, Watson said:

Quite happy for him to show Jos what he can do, I'm just not yet convinced that he's a top of the league Championship forward.  I'm always happy when players shove my words down my mouth.  Nuhiu last season for one.

I know you aren't alone in saying this but I don't really understand it. His goalscoring record over the last few seasons is incredibly impressive at this level so why would he only be good enough for mid table/bottom Champ sides? Each side, top or bottom, play each other twice and his goalscoring record is very impressive. Please explain. He scored almost 1 in 2 for a struggling barnsley side so why wouldn't he score even more in a better side?

PS Looking at his stats he actually only started 11 games for us in total and 6 for Derby and still scored 10 goals. His minutes per goal ratio must be very good...

Edited by Almat

Guest LittleG
6 minutes ago, Almat said:

I know you aren't alone in saying this but I don't really understand it. His goalscoring record over the last few seasons is incredibly impressive at this level so why would he only be good enough for mid table/bottom Champ sides? Each side, top or bottom, play each other twice and his goalscoring record is very impressive. Please explain. 

Most of his goal scoring exploits have been in div 1 & 2. He's only been in championship since 2016-17 where he scored 11 in 22 games, very impressive. He then joined the Owls where he scored 3 in 15. He might hopefully hit it off for us again but he also might not. My opinion is that he works hard and is willing to have a go but is his all round game good enough.

Amazing how these players who aren’t in the first team are suddenly going to fire us to promotion.

The club is overloaded with strikers. Nuhiu, Fletcher, Joao, Forestieri, Matias, Hooper, Winnall (Plus Rhodes)

Winnall will struggle to get into the starting eleven and will have to prove himself to the hard taskmaster we now have as manager. Competition for places is a good thing but seven fighting for two positions can lead to trouble, it’s too many, action needed in the next transfer window.

12 minutes ago, Almat said:

I know you aren't alone in saying this but I don't really understand it. His goalscoring record over the last few seasons is incredibly impressive at this level so why would he only be good enough for mid table/bottom Champ sides? Each side, top or bottom, play each other twice and his goalscoring record is very impressive. Please explain. He scored almost 1 in 2 for a struggling barnsley side so why wouldn't he score even more in a better side?

PS Looking at his stats he actually only started 11 games for us in total and 6 for Derby and still scored 10 goals. His minutes per goal ratio must be very good...

Fair point but I'm judging him on what I have seen of him playing for Wednesday and he's not played well enough to make me think he should be a first choice player.  As I said I'm more than happy for him to prove me wrong and for you to gloat at my summing up of players lol 

It will be interesting to see how he performs under Jos.  A proven goal scorer who like many players performed well under their potential during CC,s last 12 months.

See him more as a player playing off a front man such as Nuhiu or Fletcher rather than the target man.

one thing for sure Jos has now got a great selection of front me to choose from, all with different attributes.

16 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Amazing how these players who aren’t in the first team are suddenly going to fire us to promotion.

The club is overloaded with strikers. Nuhiu, Fletcher, Joao, Forestieri, Matias, Hooper, Winnall (Plus Rhodes)

Winnall will struggle to get into the starting eleven and will have to prove himself to the hard taskmaster we now have as manager. Competition for places is a good thing but seven fighting for two positions can lead to trouble, it’s too many, action needed in the next transfer window.

Agree with this, I think we'll see 2 go in January although possibly only on loan until the end of the season.

2 hours ago, LittleG said:

Don't get carried away, let's wait and see. Remember we are  talking about a player who has apparently been a disruptive influence both at Barnsley and Wednesday. If things have changed, good.

Not sure he was that disruptive at Barnsley. The club went back and interviewed him for the programme last season and he was hugely influential in their success while he was with them. Their fans adored him until he moved to us.

2 hours ago, LittleG said:

I hope he is a success but at this stage we don't know about his attitude so not getting carried away. It seemed last season that he wanted to sign for Derby so let's see how it goes.

He had a falling out while with us and was getting frustrated - understandable perhaps given how far down the pecking order he seemed to be under Carlos. He hit the ground running at Derby so again understandable that he fancied staying with them at that time. The regimes at both clubs are now very different so it effectively a clean slate for him here under a new boss. 

Some of his general play in his time with us hasn't been great - at times it seemed like he could 'control' a ball further than some can pass it but he is clinical in the box, especially in the air which offers us something that the other strikers don't.