The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 hours ago, Watson said:

OK go ask for a mortgage and get it sorted

Seriously? What does that add to the debate?

Regards floods - any development at Hillsborough would presumably include improved flood defences. 

Its already unlikely that we would flood again - the flood was caused by a huge culmination of things caused by the non maintenance of the river - and the Environment Agency have done a shitload of work both upstream and downstream to ensure that the likelihood of floods like the last one wont happen again.

43 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

A stadium that’s going to be enormously over budget, has missed its opening date by months, that had global events booked in that then had to be hastily moved, that still can’t get safety clearance, that can’t get a naming deal...

But it’s okay because in the 17 years he’s been chairman they’ve been filling their trophy cabinet up thanks to his leadership. Oh...hang on...

Best chairman in British football.

Pick a project not delayed or over budget of similar proportions.

Guest Hillsborough Mole

Hillsborough isnt even on a flood plain (since the work has been done) - its now classed as one of the lowest risks in the city (Hillsborough at the bottom left of this picture)

image.thumb.png.085a8b70b9aa696855051a05b0ce3cf2.png

2 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

Seriously? What does that add to the debate?

Regards floods - any development at Hillsborough would presumably include improved flood defences. 

Its already unlikely that we would flood again - the flood was caused by a huge culmination of things caused by the non maintenance of the river - and the Environment Agency have done a shitload of work both upstream and downstream to ensure that the likelihood of floods like the last one wont happen again.

Seriously it was a flippant remark to raise a faint smile for all the readers who have spent their day toiling away to raise money for UK Ltd.

Then you spend two paragraphs stating the bloody obvious, so please add something more tangible to the debate next time you post.

Thank you in pomposity - Watson 

How many grounds in reality create revenue 7 days a week?? 

If we moved to a new build what would it have?  Better conference facilities, a Nandos / TGI Fridays, a better club shop.  Surely not going to bring in huge revenue. 

A renovated Hillsborough would 100% be my choice starting with the West Stand and SW and NW corners. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Pick a project not delayed or over budget of similar proportions.

Millennium Stadium?

I know a lot of projects are delayed but I can’t remember too many having their opening events fully booked in and advertised, only for the construction to be absolutely nowhere near completion when the event dates arrived, but I’m happy to have my memory refreshed.

2 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

If we moved to a new build what would it have?  Better conference facilities, a Nandos / TGI Fridays, a better club shop.  Surely not going to bring in huge revenue. 

A renovated Hillsborough would 100% be my choice starting with the West Stand and SW and NW corners. 

Just wondering how many other clubs who ended up with new grounds had the same arguments. Is there any clubs in the top two tiers who have renovated or modernised instead of building a new one. Not saying you are wrong at all, your points are good. The over arching factor must be something else. 

11 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Millennium Stadium?

I know a lot of projects are delayed but I can’t remember too many having their opening events fully booked in and advertised, only for the construction to be absolutely nowhere near completion when the event dates arrived, but I’m happy to have my memory refreshed.

Not sure if millenium was on time or not but it did cost the contractor 45 million due to overspend and about a 1000 jobs as a result. 45 million may not be a lot compared the new spurs but percent wise its about 25% over.  Dont know about tje events but something thid complex carries massive risk. I dont know of any english chairman better than Levy, yes hes not been top six until now but he hasnt had the budget of chelsea, arsenal etc. He has however a solid business and other chairman worldwide dont like dealing with him as hes no mug

Guest Hillsborough Mole
26 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Nobody is suggesting 7 days a week

But the reality is that our ground makes money 23 days a year

30 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Millennium Stadium?

15 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Not sure if millenium was on time or not but it did cost the contractor 45 million due to overspend and about a 1000 jobs as a result. 45 million may not be a lot compared the new spurs but percent wise its about 25% over.  Dont know about tje events but something thid complex carries massive risk. I dont know of any english chairman better than Levy, yes hes not been top six until now but he hasnt had the budget of chelsea, arsenal etc. He has however a solid business and other chairman worldwide dont like dealing with him as hes no mug

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But the Millenium was constructed in advance of timescale and under budget? ..

Was told this by a very proud employee of the stadium when I attended the first Speedway World Gp held there ..

Also a very tight site, and far more a logistic headache than a Hillsborough rebuild?

The advantage they had was the old arms park next door was utilised as the projects site and most of the big stuff was sailed up the Taff ..

No reason to doubt my source 

He worked for the company that owns it ..

As a result assumed this was the perfect stadium ?

It's certainly the best of all the modern ones I've had the pleasure of attending 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Just wondering how many other clubs who ended up with new grounds had the same arguments. Is there any clubs in the top two tiers who have renovated or modernised instead of building a new one. Not saying you are wrong at all, your points are good. The over arching factor must be something else. 

Are you being serious?

Aston VIlla

Blackburn Rovers

Chelsea

Fulham

Liverpool

Manchester United

Newcastle United

Palace

Still on same site although rebuilt

Spurs

Wolves

52 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Are you being serious?

Aston VIlla

Blackburn Rovers

Chelsea

Fulham

Liverpool

Manchester United

Newcastle United

Palace

Spurs

Wolves

St James particularly is almost unrecognisable to the same ground I visited in 1991. 

Shows what can be done, although I would like some parts of Hillsborough to be recognisable. 

I don't know if it's feasible to redevelop Hillsborough due to the proximity of residential housing and main highways to the ground. 

I certainly would prefer redevelopment to moving.

1 minute ago, OWL1969 said:

St James particularly is almost unrecognisable to the same ground I visited in 1991. 

Shows what can be done, although I would like some parts of Hillsborough to be recognisable. 

I don't know if it's feasible to redevelop Hillsborough due to the proximity of residential housing and main highways to the ground. 

I certainly would prefer redevelopment to moving.

59 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Are you being serious?

Aston VIlla

Blackburn Rovers

Chelsea

Fulham

Liverpool

Manchester United

Newcastle United

Palace

Spurs

Wolves

It's true that not all move, but those that don't move already have a massive turnover from a commercial perspective (Man Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs, etc.) and regularly fill their ground, so there is no real reason to look for alternative revenue streams or ideas. So it's a slightly different argument.  Our problem is that we don't make money commercially and don't fill the stadium - the likes of Wolves and Norwich have a high % of season ticket holders and almost fill their stadiums each week also.

Blackburn re-vamped / built a new stand in the 90's, as we did. Fulham and Palace are looking to further develop their stadium in coming years. 

The only reason to leave Hillsborough is to increase revenue, improve transport links (which aren't that bad - they could put on Football special trams), improve facilities for fans, reduce maintenance costs (the story has been going around for a while).   Can the business case been made from a revenue and cost perspective?