The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

2 hours ago, sw1867 said:

Redevolpment of the North stand would be far more economical than building a new stand. You make huge savings on groundwork’s, structural steel & concrete which are amongst the most expensive works packages.

By redevelopment of the North you retain an iconic structure in the process whilst protecting our heritage.

Knockng the Kop down and starting again obviously has a bigger cost than building new taking into account the demolition costs.

Except you don't have to buy the land in the first place.

10 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

I think we are all agreed that SOMETHING needs to be done right? We cannot stay at Hillsborough in its current state; it needs doing up or we need to move.

No we don't all agree ...

Hillsborough isn't the problem at the moment getting promoted and competitive is ..

We sort out the ground if and when the success is achieved ..

At worst knock the Leppings lane down and rebuild including boxes n bars .

Away fans can rough it like we've always had to do at away grounds being rebuilt .

• Like 2

Guest Grez Bez
1 minute ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

No we don't all agree ...

Hillsborough isn't the problem at the moment getting promoted and competitive is ..

We sort out the ground if and when the success is achieved ..

At worst knock the Leppings lane down and rebuild including boxes n bars .

Away fans can rough it like we've always had to do at away grounds being rebuilt .

Who said anything about a timeline? 

You said you don't agree then said we should knock down the West Stand :wacko:

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

What you omit are the other possible development opportunities as well. 

Land cost, fair enough, though i cant see brown belt in sheffield and surrounds being that dear. You also get the revenue from the sale of the old ground which you didnt mention.

Getting to the ground, hardly a picnic as is. Parking is poo with vandalism and parking tickets everywhere.

That value was dramatically impacted by the floods in 2007. Might not even be able to get planning permission for housing due to the flood risk (see posts by others on page 28), so other than for park land or existing use it may have no value. Sad to say but that flood changed everything. Even sodding Bramall Lane is now probably worth considerably more to developers than Hillsborough.

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

That value was dramatically impacted by the floods in 2007. Might not even be able to get planning permission for housing due to the flood risk (see posts by others on page 28), so other than for park land or existing use it may have no value. Sad to say but that flood changed everything. Even sodding Bramall Lane is now probably worth considerably more to developers than Hillsborough.

The Lane has been worth more to developers than Hillsborough, since time began. 

Developers want land, not rusty football stands.

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

The Lane has been worth more to developers than Hillsborough, since time began. 

Developers want land, not rusty football stands.

The story (including many press articles over about a 20-30 year period, especially at the time of Don Valley and the controversy over whether both clubs should move there) up until the floods was that as a possible area for housing Hillsborough was worth about 3 times as much as the Lane. That has long since changed.

Just now, LSOwls said:

Who said anything about a timeline? 

You said you don't agree then said we should knock down the West Stand :wacko:

I didnt mention a timeline?

I don't agree with your statement that you posted saying "we are all agreed that something needs to be done"

The only thing that needs to be done is getting those players getting us promoted ...

AT WORST  the Leppings lane could be redeveloped in my opinion but only if funds are available and only then for the benefit of our fans ..

Away fans ?

Shove em in a pokey corner somewhere 

Like I have to go to ...

watching Wednesday away  ...

If you go away you know what I mean ..

3 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

The story (including many press articles over about a 20-30 year period, especially at the time of Don Valley and the controversy over whether both clubs should move there) up until the floods was that as a possible area for housing Hillsborough was worth about 3 times as much as the Lane. That has long since changed.

Just a question and i dont know the answer. Say the club spent 100 million or whatever redeveloping, could the club get insured? Would the club spend that much money on something they couldnt insure?

Guest Grez Bez
3 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I didnt mention a timeline?

I don't agree with your statement that you posted saying "we are all agreed that something needs to be done"

The only thing that needs to be done is getting those players getting us promoted ...

AT WORST  the Leppings lane could be redeveloped in my opinion but only if funds are available and only then for the benefit of our fans ..

Away fans ?

Shove em in a pokey corner somewhere 

Like I have to go to ...

watching Wednesday away  ...

If you go away you know what I mean ..

Kinda reads like you do agree that the West Stand needs re-doing but hey ho.

I go away, don't care where the away fan sit  as long as they make us a ton of cash.

3 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Kinda reads like you do agree that the West Stand needs re-doing but hey ho.

I go away, don't care where the away fan sit  as long as they make us a ton of cash.

No i don't agree the west needs replacing / doing up..

I'm not interested one iota about it unless it's re -done for our fans and that's not going to happen it's Hypothetical.

As a kid I used to sit up there as a treat 

And liked watching games from there so yes I would love the club to completely renovate/develop Leppings lane but only for "us" not away support. .

I have actually been on the Lepp for home games infiltrating with away fans 

(Mates) and it's one of the best views apart from the crows nest in the ground!!

TEAM FIRST ......

STADIUM SECOND ....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Couldn't they build the houses on the Kop?  The water wouldn't rise that high surely.

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Champions League, brilliant manager, great football, England captain up front and one of the best stadiums in the world on the site of their home. 

I wish we had a clusterfu*ck that occurring down at S6. Levy is the best Chairman in British football, by a considerable distance. 

A stadium that’s going to be enormously over budget, has missed its opening date by months, that had global events booked in that then had to be hastily moved, that still can’t get safety clearance, that can’t get a naming deal...

But it’s okay because in the 17 years he’s been chairman they’ve been filling their trophy cabinet up thanks to his leadership. Oh...hang on...

Best chairman in British football.

58 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Just a question and i dont know the answer. Say the club spent 100 million or whatever redeveloping, could the club get insured? Would the club spend that much money on something they couldnt insure?

Give me an alternative site we could use that doesn't have the same issues?

Weedon Street & Neepsend Lane certainly do, they are both in the Don Valley and both were badly flooded in 2007. The flooding extended in the Don Valley all the way from Hillsborough to Rotherham. On the Sheaf it started at Milhouses and went all the way to Heeley bottom. On the Rother it went all the way from Rother Valley park so where is there that we can build a stadium that doesn't have the same risks and hence the same insurance problems?

Most of the flat land in Sheffield and Rotherham is on the flood plain of one or other of the rivers. Any areas that aren't don't have the transport links and are probably designated as either green belt or residential areas.

11 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

A stadium that’s going to be enormously over budget, has missed its opening date by months, that had global events booked in that then had to be hastily moved, that still can’t get safety clearance, that can’t get a naming deal...

But it’s okay because in the 17 years he’s been chairman they’ve been filling their trophy cabinet up thanks to his leadership. Oh...hang on...

Best chairman in British football.

Bizarre. 

8 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Weedon Street & Neepsend Lane certainly do, they are both in the Don Valley and both were badly flooded in 2007. The flooding extended in the Don Valley all the way from Hillsborough to Rotherham. On the Sheaf it started at Milhouses and went all the way to Heeley bottom. On the Rother it went all the way from Rother Valley park so where is there that we can build a stadium that doesn't have the same risks and hence the same insurance problems?

Most of the flat land in Sheffield and Rotherham is on the flood plain of one or other of the rivers. Any areas that aren't don't have the transport links and are probably designated as either green belt or residential areas.

The old Heliport at Shirecliffe would fit the bill.  Access and egress would be a nightmare though.

14 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the flood plain has minimal affect on development - engineering solutions can overcome all but the most extreme conditions. Look at planning granted and development started and completed since 2005 around Kelham and Neepsend and Attercliffe. Any increase insurance premiums will be nominal and managed by this capital investment. The club would simply deduct these costs off the price of the land as abdominals. 

Of course it works both ways and the current stadium value would be affected in the same way - quid pro quo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

There has been new housing built on Leppings Lane since 2007.

33 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Dont know, thats why i was asking. Seems pointless building anything on a flood plain in my eyes.