The talk of moving to Weedon Street...

5 hours ago, LordBrexit said:

Time moves on.  A fantastic new stadium could be built to mirror traditional grounds.  Hillsborough needs to have more development room around it and be more central at the same time as better access to the M1.  Wednesday should never have moved to Hillsborough, the fans choice was Carbrook in Sheffield.

That would have been handy for the thousands of Rotherham Owls. :stuwinky:

I've already reported this news twice in previous threads, with links to the industrial estate story. 

This area has never even been considered by the club anyway.  Someone just noticed spare land on Google maps and suggested it.

Sorry to piddle on anyone's parade.  

2 hours ago, theoldtimer said:

I liked the plans but I think it was too ambitious in relation to our support. Was it 45-48k seats? we'd be in the territory of having more empty seats than fans for most games in the Championship, and would probably struggle to fill it in the Premier. 

Personally, I rebuild to around 35k. Knock down the Kop and West Stand, build two stands very close to the pitch, focus on quality over size, and make Hillsborough an intimidating place to visit like the old Baseball ground.

I agree but would go straight for 40k first. No point rebuilding to reduced our capacity.

I do think though we should do tjat and plan for the future, if we ever need to expand to 50/60k then we have the ability to do so if we plan correctly with the west and the kop.

2 hours ago, theoldtimer said:

I liked the plans but I think it was too ambitious in relation to our support. Was it 45-48k seats? we'd be in the territory of having more empty seats than fans for most games in the Championship, and would probably struggle to fill it in the Premier. 

Personally, I rebuild to around 35k. Knock down the Kop and West Stand, build two stands very close to the pitch, focus on quality over size, and make Hillsborough an intimidating place to visit like the old Baseball ground.

The prevailing WC stadium rules are minimum 40k spectator capacity plus 5k for press and VIPs etc.  Hence the 45k Strafford plan. 

We wouldn't struggle to get 40k in the Premier unless Chansiri charged ridiculous potg prices.  Mmm...... 

Even Hull were selling out in the Premier.

Have faith.  Sheffield is the 4th most populous city in England.  We might have only averaged 29k in 91-2 when we finished 3rd, but that was only bettered by three other clubs.  

18 minutes ago, Quist said:

Ok I was trying to be realistic rather than wishful thinking.

1. How do you deal with possibility of flooding? I am sure new rules are in place about building on flood plains? Near where I live a new housing estate was quashed because of this.

2.How long would it take to develop the above? Where will we play whilst above is being undertaken? What would happen to form of team if playing away for a couple of seasons? What impact would it have on finance during this period.

3..If Wednesdayite car park goes even more of a problem to park.

4. I agree about having valid reasons to move and a business case should consider all options including both rebuilding and moving site.

We haven't got the 200m needed to move to a new ground.

Won't get any from the council either.

In answer to 2, we'd play at Hillsborough.

Talk of moving away from Hillsborough annoys me. Hillsborough may not have been our original home but it undoubtedly is now and always should be. Our loyal fanbase is solidly north east & east Sheffield & large sections of Barnsley & Rotherham. We don't want to be nearer the pigs territory. We have benefited from our location as it has drawn in fans from the large populations in the areas mentioned above. United have the majority of their fan base from South Sheffield, the centre and the upper class postcodes of the city. In my opinion their fans are far more fickle with United attendances dropping like a stone in hard times. Our strength as a club has been built by the loyal pigramage to Hillsborough that thousands of fans have made over the years and passed down for generations. Leaving Hillsborough would be a tradegy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Wouldn't it be brilliant if a spaceship could come which just hovers over Hillsborough stadium, lifts the current stadium up into its underbelly, gets rid of all the old crumbling fack bits and drops a spankers 40k seater in its place complete with current character, iconic stuff like the clock but then updated with all the latest mod cons like Dyson hand dryers etc.

Would be mint.

Hey Presto! 

46 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Be a nightmare to get to/away from that.

Clearly it would need some infrastructure but you could put a train station right next to the ground. Few boozers, extra few roads, meadowhall in walking distance...boom

And remaining in Wednesday territory

7 hours ago, paullie said:

There was talk a while ago of a stadium move to an area on Weedon Street near Meadowhall, this story puts the kybosh on that as the area is looking at being turned into an industrial estate by the company that owns Meadowhall https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/picture-nearly-5000-jobs-could-be-created-at-new-industrial-complex-near-sheffield-s-meadowhall-1-9332327

Faccck a new stadium.

53 minutes ago, Quist said:

Ok I was trying to be realistic rather than wishful thinking.

1. How do you deal with possibility of flooding? I am sure new rules are in place about building on flood plains? Near where I live a new housing estate was quashed because of this.

2.How long would it take to develop the above? Where will we play whilst above is being undertaken? What would happen to form of team if playing away for a couple of seasons? What impact would it have on finance during this period.

3..If Wednesdayite car park goes even more of a problem to park.

4. I agree about having valid reasons to move and a business case should consider all options including both rebuilding and moving site.

1. In the same way you would have to deal with it in a move out to the Meadowhall area which got hit just as badly (if not worse) as Hillsborough in the 2007 floods. Any solutions that would apply in the East end of Sheffield can be applied at Hillsborough.
  2. It can be done in stages. The ideal time to do the Lane end would be now, whilst attendances are low enough to be able to redevelop without unduly affecting the gate. The new West Stand & NWC could be similar to that envisaged in the World Cup plans which would give a capacity at that end of anywhere from 12-15k. That means we could still have a capacity of c 35 k whilst a similar redevelopment of the Kop end is done which would bring capacity up to anywhere from 47 to 50k. Any other adjustments (i.e. extending North Stand could be done later. Remember St Jame's Park before redevelopment, not to mention Old Trafford? Capacity was c 35k at Newcastle, now it's 52-53k, Old Trafford was down to about 45k now it's 78k.
  3. Agreed, which is why it's essential that is purchased asap by the club/Chansiri as a pre-cursor to any long term redevelopment of Hillsborough.
  4. The business case is that it involves far less overall cost and can be started with minimal disruption to the club plus it keeps the fan base on board.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Wouldn't it be brilliant if a spaceship could come which just hovers over Hillsborough stadium, lifts the current stadium up into its underbelly, gets rid of all the old crumbling fack bits and drops a spankers 40k seater in its place complete with current character, iconic stuff like the clock but then updated with all the latest mod cons like Dyson hand dryers etc.

Would be mint.

Those Dyson dryers are hilarious. All those blokes stood there doing Tommy Cooper impressions :laugh:

4 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Ive always seen Wednesday as having its fanbase from every part of Sheffield. I’ve also associated Wednesday with the more affluent areas / post codes.

Not saying you are wrong, just my perception.

I recall Warnock going off on one before a derby game to the effect that they were basically a working class club, and we were more middle class/out of town.

Time has rather moved on, I think, at least in terms of the geography. Fifty years ago people tended to live in the area where they'd grown up. Now everything is so much more fluid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Ive always seen Wednesday as having its fanbase from every part of Sheffield. I’ve also associated Wednesday with the more affluent areas / post codes.

Not saying you are wrong, just my perception.

I guess Wednesday gets more fans from like Fulwood and Beauchief etc., extending from there to Chapeltown, Parsons Cross etc. United moreso from South East Sheffield, but perhaps also around Meadowhall area

People move around a bit more now though as thewookie says

Edited by jomaco