Sheffield, city of students

Its alright steroetyping these lefty students that we all want to imagine. But the sort of students that I hung around with, the ones i mainly saw across my whole 3 years were a lot of football lads. 

There was so much banter, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Sunderland fans. We went to plenty of games at Newcastle, Gateshead Utd etc over our time there. 

I can 1000% guarantee football was on the agenda ahead of lentils, Jeremy Corbyn and being shocked about how cruel the world is. Weekends were as devoted to football as they always had been. A better student scheme might have seen us spend more but Newcastle definitely didn't need it with their already loyal fanbase and high attendances. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

5 minutes ago, El Wednesday said:

Seems that a lot of people on this thread are just basing their view of students on The Young Ones. 

:dry:

I think it's more newspapers sensationalising that does it.

The telegraph had a headline 'Cambridge University students vote against Remembrance Sunday' implying they had voted enmasse. In fact it was just the student union that had voted. 

10 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I think it's more newspapers sensationalising that does it.

The telegraph had a headline 'Cambridge University students vote against Remembrance Sunday' implying they had voted enmasse. In fact it was just the student union that had voted. 

Still disgusting no matter who voted against it.

They didn’t vote against ‘Remembrance Sunday’. It was about a motion put forward by Cambridge University Conservative  Association looking to specify British Veterans. 

Commemorations and services will still be happening. Everyone associated with the University will still make a personal choice about how they commemorate the day. And many will, as usual, wear poppies and go to services. 

Fair to say the decision to play politics with Remembrance Day was indulged by only one set of students. And it’s probably reasonable to assume they knew exactly what they were doing. 

PS: We should be targeting any potential supporter. And today’s students are tomorrow’s older supporters with families and friends whoever they are and wherever they are in the world. 

Edited by Freshfish

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

Its alright steroetyping these lefty students that we all want to imagine. But the sort of students that I hung around with, the ones i mainly saw across my whole 3 years were a lot of football lads. 

There was so much banter, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Sunderland fans. We went to plenty of games at Newcastle, Gateshead Utd etc over our time there. 

I can 1000% guarantee football was on the agenda ahead of lentils, Jeremy Corbyn and being shocked about how cruel the world is. Weekends were as devoted to football as they always had been. A better student scheme might have seen us spend more but Newcastle definitely didn't need it with their already loyal fanbase and high attendances. 

I take it you went to the 'Former Polytechnic' type of University?

lol

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2018 at 18:30, Koper said:

I work at the University and on the whole, students are more interested in United.

I think it's partly because Sheffield United are much closer in terms of distance, and partly because United make WAY more effort to engage with the University.

United essentially offer tickets to every game, they are always at the Union and it's £10 (from memory) - Wednesday offer tickets to 'select games' (for £15) and they are often not available from one week to the next.  (Wednesday will pop up out of nowhere and offer tickets to SWFC v Cardiff on a Tuesday night).  Also, it was easier to justify the higher cost when we were a league above, but where is the extra value now?  You're asking them to pay £5 more and pay for a tram / bus etc. 

Students with no affiliation or connection to Sheffield normally pick United - Wednesday need to step it up.

I personally think the Club should take it a step further - student tickets on the door every week (OK, excl United etc) - but keep it simple, students want to turn up on the day, not plan things weeks ahead.

50,000 students in Sheffield - huge potential 

It was the exact same when I was at uni 10 years ago.

Flatmates all went to watch United because it was cheaper, closer and could be done spontaneously. Wednesday made little effort to compete with United in the student market because there was apparently little value in it (comment made to me by an SWFC employee at the time).

Chansiri appears to value the student market even less than previous regimes, but that doesn't really surprise me considering the current ticketing structure for POTG supporters.

3 hours ago, El Wednesday said:

Seems that a lot of people on this thread are just basing their view of students on The Young Ones. 

Can't up vote this enough. 

I studied in Glasgow and none of the local teams made any effort whatsoever to attract students, including Partick Thistle who are the closest club (about the same distance as from Sheffield Uni to the Stain). And they were in the SPL at the time. 

All the non-locals went to watch Celtic as they were doing better at the time but can't say I was 'converted'. 

As others have said I think the best plan would be to give out free tickets in primary schools. Friends with young kids have been taking them to Hillsborough regularly before they start school because they're worried about them bringing home free United tickets and then them having to explain why they can't go. 

6 hours ago, El Wednesday said:

I'm a removal man  , and move a lot of students in the summer , and most of them DO live like the young ones .

On 11/10/2018 at 16:56, steveger said:

We could add noodles and stuff to the match-day menu to attract the hoards of Chinese students to our games, keeps them away from the Tram from Meadowhall,Ikea and centertainment enabling me to get a seat on the way to work on a Saturday...

:ph34r:

You can already get noodles on the South - and Thai curry - pretty poo though so I doubt they'd buy it more than once

• Haha 1