Sheffield, city of students

Our effort towards students is p*ss poor and it's handing a whole swathe of fans straight to United. Up here I can walk into Hearts or Hibs games for a tenner and have a cracking afternoon, when I want to watch Wednesday I have to spend the best part of £60 on travel and end up buying a season ticket despite the distance because of how ridiculous our walk up charges are.

Many students are already affiliated with a club by the time they become students, and most won't stick around once they graduated.

There should be good student prices and strong encouragement yes, but there should be way more focus on local communities and schools, indoctrinate kids at a young age before they start watching Man U or some poo. 

Owls in the Park is a great example, there should be more free training sessions at schools and meet and greet with players. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

The students moaning at the prices would happily pay it if we was in the premier league against man u ,Liverpool ect.

Students expect everything cheap,bus fares ,clothes ,meals.

Fek um Dc ,charge um double,infact treble 

Half of um would be p1$$1ng about on Snapchat while match is on anyway

The students would definitely moan at our prices.

Guest addedtime
20 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

balls to them. they wont watch the game, just talk about their favourite mumford and son song and discuss beard styles and ask what types of hummus we sell.

give me cheap tickets instead for making a little more effort

That's what season tickets are.

My wife was an international student in Sheffield when we lived there during our two recent playoff seasons under CC. All the people she knew who went to watch games went to United, even though we were near the top of the Champ and they were still in L1. She was asked to go by friends on a few occasions, but thankfully she doesn't like footy. 

United do far more than us and in two years she said she was never once made aware that there were offers / tickets etc being publicised at the university for SWFC games despite her being a student ambassador and international student rep. 

Sheffield has the highest student retention in the country. My dad and uncle are two of those people who moved here years ago and will watch local football now. Money being lost by us over the last few years or more in this regard. 

• Like 1

Going back to my days of drinking in Broomhill pubs I met many football fanatic students, some were very good players, but I can’t recall one becoming a supporter of either Sheffield club, their affiliations had been forged when they were kids back in their home towns, would you expect a kid from a Wednesday family going to university in say Manchester, to become a supporter of City or Utd? Not a snowball’s chance in hell comes to mind.  

• Like 1

According to a recent survey, 29% of 16-24yr old's don't drink alcohol.

So almost a third then, add to the fact that many don't follow football, and them that do have no affiliation with Wednesday - then it is probably a waste of time trying to attract them.

Imagine being stone cold sober, with no real reason to be there, freezing cold in your Chez Guevara/Joy Division T Shirt - being bombarded with trumps and worrying if somebody was going to try and shuffle you off?

• Haha 4

We could add noodles and stuff to the match-day menu to attract the hoards of Chinese students to our games, keeps them away from the Tram from Meadowhall,Ikea and centertainment enabling me to get a seat on the way to work on a Saturday...

:ph34r:

Edited by steveger

It's BS, they won't come...they don't like football, Even the piggyjacks only get a 50 or so and letting em in for nowt.

Besides, they didn't come when we were reyt good and cheap, they are hardly likely to to come when it's reyt reyt expensive and we are a mediocre mid table 2nd division side (according to the 'experts').

And get fooooked, why should they get cheap tickets when real fans are priced out.

On 10/10/2018 at 21:47, matthefish2002 said:

I am all for getting as many people on match days into Hillsborough but would annoy me slightly if fair weather student fans were getting cheaper tickets then me who had to raid his life savings for a season ticket.

That's exactly what I thought when I read the OP. It wouldn't be fair on the Season ticket holders, members and all those who would willingly come along if the prices were cheaper...ahem!

10 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Could anyone explain why we don't we just let everyone in for free?  Surely thats the easiest solution.

I am not arguing for free prices or even £5 per game.

Just fair and reasonable prices, inline with those clubs in this league who are a similar size and similar areas like Villa, Forest and Derby.

People who set the Wednesday ticket prices in my opinion dont have a real feel for English football or the average person from Sheffield.