Sheffield, city of students

Guest Grez Bez
10 minutes ago, the monk said:

Because Sheffielders are being ripped off, surely they should come first?

Like I said, you can do both...

I studied at Sheffield Hallam, I didn't come across many students with an interest in football who were bothered about following either Sheffield side. They were mostly Liverpool and Man Utd fans, and they stayed that way, including one who has settled in Beauchief.

The club should give tickets to schools in Sheffield, North Derbyshire, and South Yorkshire. I was brought up in North Derbyshire, and Derby County used to give free tickets to our primary school -- Sheffield was closer than Derby -- and a good number of kids, who took them up on the offer, remained Derby fans. Students have probably already picked a club, better to start younger.

Edited by theoldtimer

The students moaning at the prices would happily pay it if we was in the premier league against man u ,Liverpool ect.

Students expect everything cheap,bus fares ,clothes ,meals.

Fek um Dc ,charge um double,infact treble 

Half of um would be p1$$1ng about on Snapchat while match is on anyway

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, theoldtimer said:

I studied at Sheffield Hallam, I didn't come across many students with an interest in football who were bothered about following either Sheffield side. They were mostly Liverpool and Man Utd fans, and they stayed that way, including one who has settled in Beauchief.

The club should give tickets to schools in Sheffield, North Derbyshire, and South Yorkshire. I was brought up in North Derbyshire, and Derby County used to give free tickets to our primary school -- Sheffield was closer than Derby -- and a good number of kids, who took them up on the offer, remained Derby fans. Students have probably already picked a club, better to start younger.

Our young un did a weeks sports placement from a sheffield school,  they didnt go to hillsbrough or bramall lane they went to Derby County to do it:wacko:

3 hours ago, vulva said:

When working in town my rat run on the way home invariably takes me on West Street and Division Street.

Every single time I make this journey a Chinese/Far East student walks in the road. They have the road sense of badgers with sunglasses on. 

They just walk out in front of cars, then have the temerity to stare at the drivers, as if to query why a car is on the actual road.

Don’t know what they do at Uni, but it certainly isn’t road safety. 

It’s not just them that are like it. Guaranteed I use the cars horn a couple of times a day and I might only be driving 30 minutes.

People under the age of 25 are honestly clueless when crossing the road. So many just don’t look. I always use the horn cos it’s poo them up and hopefully will encourage them to pay attention in the future. So many do it with headphones too! Unreal. I take mine out crossing a road.

I’m not exaggerating I’d hit at least one person a day everyday if I continued to drive at the speed limit when they cross when they shouldn’t. 

Also I’m not sure if them not getting taught in schools anymore or what. Last couple of years I’ve also had older people just walk in the road and I’ve had to stop. They don’t acknowledge it, almost like they think pedestrians have the right of way.

I wouldn’t mind as much if they did that fake running thing, where we both know hey aren’t moving any faster, but at least they pretend to and acknowledge you and make an effort. Now they stare you it like they want smashing into. 

8 hours ago, deaks1984 said:

My nephew just came home with a letter from school saying they are running a scheme with the blunts for various matches. Next match is v WBA £10 adults, £5 kids.

To put this in perspective my son is 18 months younger. We've done most of the home matches this season. I think Leeds cost me £44 in total and Middlesbrough has cost £39 in total. We are both members so there was the memberships on top too, granted we do sit on the South.

I'm a single dad on a low income. A similar scheme from my son's school from SWFC would have been welcomed with open arms. I know other parents who simply don't go because they are completely priced out.

I'm not sure we are working like this with any other schools but certainly none that I know of.

It's a bit frustrating when there seems to be so many empty seats, these days. 

Cases like yours Deaks Mr C invited you 2 years ago to write into the club. Not sure but I think he said at an earlier forum he received two written applications for reduced tickets last season. To be clear he said it, a really low number not certain it was two though. 

4 hours ago, theoldtimer said:

Agreed , targeting them younger is deffo the way forward . The club misses a trick here. Again, I don’t care about students, I really don’t see why they should be offered free this and next to nothing that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

It’s not just them that are like it. Guaranteed I use the cars horn a couple of times a day and I might only be driving 30 minutes.

People under the age of 25 are honestly clueless when crossing the road. So many just don’t look. I always use the horn cos it’s poo them up and hopefully will encourage them to pay attention in the future. So many do it with headphones too! Unreal. I take mine out crossing a road.

I’m not exaggerating I’d hit at least one person a day everyday if I continued to drive at the speed limit when they cross when they shouldn’t. 

Also I’m not sure if them not getting taught in schools anymore or what. Last couple of years I’ve also had older people just walk in the road and I’ve had to stop. They don’t acknowledge it, almost like they think pedestrians have the right of way.

I wouldn’t mind as much if they did that fake running thing, where we both know hey aren’t moving any faster, but at least they pretend to and acknowledge you and make an effort. Now they stare you it like they want smashing into. 

Road safety has not been the same since the Tufty Club was shut down and the Green Cross Code bloke took over. Everyone knows squirrels are better at crossing roads than badly dressed giants.

PS. There should be free tickets for five schools a week with a tour of the ground and a wagon wheel thrown in. 

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Cases like yours Deaks Mr C invited you 2 years ago to write into the club. Not sure but I think he said at an earlier forum he received two written applications for reduced tickets last season. To be clear he said it, a really low number not certain it was two though. 

Doesn't the fact that so few people have written to the chairman to ask him for reduced tickets suggest there might be an inherent problem with his scheme?

Nobody should have to be means-tested to be able to afford to go to a football match; it's demeaning.

And once you've lowered yourself to beg the chairman for a cheaper ticket, what evidence might he ask for that you're unable to afford his asking price? Would a recent bank statement suffice?

It was a ridiculous notion which would never have needed to be suggested if we'd simply adopted more reasonable ticket prices in the first place.

12 hours ago, Baggys battle bus said:

Anyone working or shopping in Sheffield at the moment can’t help but notice the amount of students there is in our city. With more and more student accommodation being built all the time it’s about time Wednesday tapped into this market. Our current price for a student to watch a game at Hillsboro is £33 compared to £17 at the stain . Come on Mr Chansiri let’s get their bums on our seats not on the red and white ones

Students don't have much money to spend football, nor are they likely to be Wednesday fans or future Wednesday fans either. Why do you think they should get preferential treatment? 

Edited by pgmetcalf

2 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

Students don't have much money to spend football, nor are they likely to be Wednesday fans or future Wednesday fans either. Why do you think they should get preferential treatment? 

A lot of the Chinese students that are flooding cities like Sheffield and Manchester are the sons and daughters of China's new "nouveau riche" generation. They are incredibly cash rich families. Whilst such students neither require nor particularly want preferential treatment, I would be doing all that I could to attract them to games at Hillsborough and keep them away from rival clubs. They could be themselves or know somebody connected with millionaire or billionaire owned businesses in China. The club's medium and long term commercial strategy should include connecting with such people for investment or commercial deals. It is also not beyond the realms of possibility that one of the Chinese students in Sheffield could turn out to be the son or daughter of the club's next billionaire owner. I would hope that the club would have the foresight to get these people involved in some way even if it is just stadium tours, mascot deals or kick around sessions at the club's facilities.

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

A lot of the Chinese students that are flooding cities like Sheffield and Manchester are the sons and daughters of China's new "nouveau riche" generation. They are incredibly cash rich families. Whilst such students neither require nor particularly want preferential treatment, I would be doing all that I could to attract them to games at Hillsborough and keep them away from rival clubs. They could be themselves or know somebody connected with millionaire or billionaire owned businesses in China. The club's medium and long term commercial strategy should include connecting with such people for investment or commercial deals. It is also not beyond the realms of possibility that one of the Chinese students in Sheffield could turn out to be the son or daughter of the club's next billionaire owner. I would hope that the club would have the foresight to get these people involved in some way even if it is just stadium tours, mascot deals or kick around sessions at the club's facilities.

giphy-2.gif

• Haha 2

Really good OP as many students in Sheffield go on to become life -long Owls.

While we are touching marketing, Atalanta give all young kids in Bergamo free team shirts on one birthday to help prevent them supporting nearby Milan clubs.

That really is long - term planning.

7 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

You've not interacted with many of the Asian students around then ? I work for a company who does student accommodation and a couple of our buildings are all Asian students, the amount of "Stuff" they buy and have delivered is unbelievable and the amount of grants they get just to come here and study is crazy