Sheffield, city of students

Anyone working or shopping in Sheffield at the moment can’t help but notice the amount of students there is in our city. With more and more student accommodation being built all the time it’s about time Wednesday tapped into this market. Our current price for a student to watch a game at Hillsboro is £33 compared to £17 at the stain . Come on Mr Chansiri let’s get their bums on our seats not on the red and white ones

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Baggys battle bus said:

Anyone working or shopping in Sheffield at the moment can’t help but notice the amount of students there is in our city. With more and more student accommodation being built all the time it’s about time Wednesday tapped into this market. Our current price for a student to watch a game at Hillsboro is £33 compared to £17 at the stain . Come on Mr Chansiri let’s get their bums on our seats not on the red and white ones

Students can buy a few beers for £17.

Most of the ones I know wouldn’t squander it on football whatever the colour.

My nephew just came home with a letter from school saying they are running a scheme with the blunts for various matches. Next match is v WBA £10 adults, £5 kids.

To put this in perspective my son is 18 months younger. We've done most of the home matches this season. I think Leeds cost me £44 in total and Middlesbrough has cost £39 in total. We are both members so there was the memberships on top too, granted we do sit on the South.

I'm a single dad on a low income. A similar scheme from my son's school from SWFC would have been welcomed with open arms. I know other parents who simply don't go because they are completely priced out.

I'm not sure we are working like this with any other schools but certainly none that I know of.

It's a bit frustrating when there seems to be so many empty seats, these days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deaks1984 said:

My nephew just came home with a letter from school saying they are running a scheme with the blunts for various matches. Next match is v WBA £10 adults, £5 kids.

To put this in perspective my son is 18 months younger. We've done most of the home matches this season. I think Leeds cost me £44 in total and Middlesbrough has cost £39 in total. We are both members so there was the memberships on top too, granted we do sit on the South.

I'm a single dad on a low income. A similar scheme from my son's school from SWFC would have been welcomed with open arms. I know other parents who simply don't go because they are completely priced out.

I'm not sure we are working like this with any other schools but certainly none that I know of.

It's a bit frustrating when there seems to be so many empty seats, these days. 

Correct, another massive mistake from chansiri , a whole generation is potentially being lost . Was quite staggering against West Brom , which was my first game of the season , just how many empty seats there were. 

On the flip side though, students are annoying as hell , wouldn’t want to listen to the rabbiting on all match 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

balls to them. they wont watch the game, just talk about their favourite mumford and son song and discuss beard styles and ask what types of hummus we sell.

give me cheap tickets instead for making a little more effort

tumblr_ns9btjebEE1qc17oko1_500.gif

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Correct, another massive mistake from chansiri , a whole generation is potentially being lost . Was quite staggering against West Brom , which was my first game of the season , just how many empty seats there were. 

On the flip side though, students are annoying as hell , wouldn’t want to listen to the rabbiting on all match 

Lol.... yep does my nut in listening to them rambling on sounding as intelligent as f-ck and all worldly, when in truth they know jack sh#t.

Half the bloody city now appears to be owned by the bloody university. But student fees are fair !! Mmm!!!

3 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

Lol.... yep does my nut in listening to them rambling on sounding as intelligent as f-ck and all worldly, when in truth they know jack sh#t.

Half the bloody city now appears to be owned by the bloody university. But student fees are fair !! Mmm!!!

I'm sure they can spell goalie though

• Haha 1

I work at the University and on the whole, students are more interested in United.

I think it's partly because Sheffield United are much closer in terms of distance, and partly because United make WAY more effort to engage with the University.

United essentially offer tickets to every game, they are always at the Union and it's £10 (from memory) - Wednesday offer tickets to 'select games' (for £15) and they are often not available from one week to the next.  (Wednesday will pop up out of nowhere and offer tickets to SWFC v Cardiff on a Tuesday night).  Also, it was easier to justify the higher cost when we were a league above, but where is the extra value now?  You're asking them to pay £5 more and pay for a tram / bus etc. 

Students with no affiliation or connection to Sheffield normally pick United - Wednesday need to step it up.

I personally think the Club should take it a step further - student tickets on the door every week (OK, excl United etc) - but keep it simple, students want to turn up on the day, not plan things weeks ahead.

50,000 students in Sheffield - huge potential 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Koper said:

I work at the University and on the whole, students are more interested in United.

I think it's partly because Sheffield United are much closer in terms of distance, and partly because United make WAY more effort to engage with the University.

United essentially offer tickets to every game, they are always at the Union and it's £10 (from memory) - Wednesday offer tickets to 'select games' (for £15) and they are often not available from one week to the next.  (Wednesday will pop up out of nowhere and offer tickets to SWFC v Cardiff on a Tuesday night).  Also, it was easier to justify the higher cost when we were a league above, but where is the extra value now?  You're asking them to pay £5 more and pay for a tram / bus etc. 

Students with no affiliation or connection to Sheffield normally pick United - Wednesday need to step it up.

I personally think the Club should take it a step further - student tickets on the door every week (OK, excl United etc) - but keep it simple, students want to turn up on the day, not plan things weeks ahead.

50,000 students in Sheffield - huge potential 

Any idea how many tickets sell to the students?  Is it a sizeable number? For each club, if you know.

Just now, Watson said:

Any idea how many tickets sell to the students?  Is it a sizeable number? For each club, if you know.

They normally come down at the start of the season and offer 500 free tickets - don't think there is that much conversion

They offer a free voucher and the student needs to take it to the club shop ahead of the match to swap it for a ticket - why can't they just give tickets out.  What casual 'fan' is going to make two trips

As for the £15 tickets - probably talking less than 50 per game 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

Especially as lots of students are from China and South East Asia. Its not rocket science Katrien. The South East Asia connection could fill our stadium cos the students are well off big time. :CEO:

And quite small, squeeze more in.

• Haha 2